Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lead against a Slam

#1 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-June-15, 06:55

The opponents are playing a 14-16 NT. 4NT is RKCB for hearts and 5H shows 2 and no queen. Your opening salvo ...
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#2 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-15, 08:52

Are they playing 5M and do they open 1N with 5M ?

#3 User is offline   HardVector 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-June-15, 13:44

9 of spades. I'm not leading a red suit and it looks like a spade has the best possibility of hitting partner (none of them is mentioning the suit). The 9 should tell partner I'm not really that interested in it myself, just fishing.

#4 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2018-June-16, 01:39

In what universe is 4N keycard for hearts? Responder bid diamonds twice. How the heck can opener now ask for key cards in hearts? And, if he did, how the heck can he count tricks? I know this is the intermediate forum, but showing ridiculous bidding isn't going to help anyone get better.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#5 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-16, 02:05

View Postmikeh, on 2018-June-16, 01:39, said:

In what universe is 4N keycard for hearts? Responder bid diamonds twice. How the heck can opener now ask for key cards in hearts? And, if he did, how the heck can he count tricks? I know this is the intermediate forum, but showing ridiculous bidding isn't going to help anyone get better.

The problem is that there was a different explanation on the two sides of the screen. 3NT was, systemically, solid hearts (or presumably from South's point of view AKJTxxx) and 4D was a cue for hearts. East thought 4NT was a sign-off opposite a diamond slam try. On the other side of the screen it was explained as 14-16, presumably semi-balanced as there was no 1NT opener. Since posting, our team discovered that solid hearts was the right explanation. I led a spade, as did others polled. The full hand was:

Given the "correct" explanation, my lead seems normal, as we may need to set up a trick before I win the queen of hearts. After declarer won the spade lead and played on clubs, my partner should have ducked two rounds and won the third, and I would have discarded the nine of diamonds, asking partner to break up the red suit squeeze. Naturally, he returned a heart and I got squeezed. Because I had the "right" explanation, we did not get redress. My partner had the "wrong" explanation, but if he had been told "solid hearts", he would certainly not have returned a diamond.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#6 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2018-June-16, 04:25

The reason I asked the questions I asked was because if they open 1N with 5M332 then 3N would suggest a stiff diamond, so I would have led one to disrupt comms.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users