• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4th suit bid would like suggstions

#21 User is offline   HardVector 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-June-16, 08:10

I'm familiar with this kind of structure, I'm just not certain it works with canape. The whole problem is that opener is NOT bidding their best suit to start, and if responder takes total control in this manner has no opportunity to show it. As I said before, once you begin this, you just bite the bullet and lose the spade suit. You need to monitor how many bad results you get doing this to determine if you really want to continue using this system.

#22 User is offline   Shugart23 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-June-16, 08:38

View PostHardVector, on 2018-June-16, 08:10, said:

I'm familiar with this kind of structure, I'm just not certain it works with canape. The whole problem is that opener is NOT bidding their best suit to start, and if responder takes total control in this manner has no opportunity to show it. As I said before, once you begin this, you just bite the bullet and lose the spade suit. You need to monitor how many bad results you get doing this to determine if you really want to continue using this system.

Your point is valid that Responder is taking control...But Opener is limited to 15 HCP max, so not necessarily a bad thing.. We have decided for now that after Responder has shown the two minors, any suit bid at any level (including Spades) by Opener will be to play. At the moment we are using 2NT relay by Opener to start invitational sequences

You are also very correct that there are certain methods that work well with 5 card Major systems just don't work in the Canape system....

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users