BBO Discussion Forums: Accept? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Accept?

Poll: What would you bid? (15 member(s) have cast votes)

What would you bid?

1. Pass (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 3NT (15 votes [100.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

3. Other (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-May-26, 16:15

Team match, IMPs, good opps.

You play 2/1 vanilla, 15-17 NT, nothing fancy.

Accept or not?

#2 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-May-26, 18:07

Partner's showing 18-19 or equivalent? Pass would be ... eccentric.

#3 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-26, 19:05

sfi, on 2018-May-26, 18:07, said:

I don't think 2nt should show so strong 18-19 unless one is using the K-S style weakish 5-8 response catering towards weak NT systems. Ranges played for 1nt vary considerably from 6-10/6-9/7-10/8-10, depending on how willing partnership is to fudge 1 diamond on a 3 bagger when too weak for 1nt. Opposite a stronger 1nt response range, 18/19 can afford to bid game directly, also there are semi-balanced 16-17ish hands that would like to invite.

Agree pass would be weird; 9 is not a min regardless of range, of the typical ranges. I suppose 1nt can be stronger in some transfer response schemes.

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-26, 19:12

sfi, on 2018-May-26, 18:07, said:

Standard usage is 17-18.
Can be a good 16 with an unbalanced or any other reason that prevented him opening 1 NT.
Some people play 1 NT response 8-10, if so 2 NT may be weaker. I play 6-10, it has preemptive nature against LHO 1 level major overcalls.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-May-27, 03:27

Thanks. I passed the 2NT (yes, yes, I myself wonder how could I do such a thing!) because I wasn't sure what range 2NT can be. Silly, but lesson learned :)

#6 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-27, 03:44

diana_eva, on 2018-May-27, 03:27, said:

Thanks. I passed the 2NT (yes, yes, I myself wonder how could I do such a thing!) because I wasn't sure what range 2NT can be. Silly, but lesson learned :)

If you are unsure about the range for 2N (and that's not a silly thing to be unsure about, there are certainly different styles), you can always go back to your own range. Whether you play 1N as 6-10 or 8-10, this hand us not a minimum. 9hcp, an ace and a queen in partner's suit.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#7 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2018-May-28, 16:57

2N should be 18-19 but I have seen it on a semi balanced 16 with 6 mediocre clubs where the person did not want to open 1N nor rebid 3C: Kx KJx AJ Axxxxx.

3N is in order.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#8 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2018-May-28, 18:02

diana_eva, on 2018-May-27, 03:27, said:

It's not so much what your partner's range could be but what yours could be - you are pretty much at the top of 1NT unless you play 9-11 over 1C openings. Partner invited you to bid game if you are on top of your range. You are, so it would be a mistake to guess that partner misbid his hand.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#9 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-28, 18:07

The irony is, poll suggests entire BBF bids 3 NT and the only one who wouldn't, actually held this hand, in a match representing BBF. Posted Image (Nothing against Diana or her choice, she is my dear friend, just an ironic coincidence imo)
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#10 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-28, 18:17

Stephen Tu, on 2018-May-26, 19:05, said:

I don't think 2nt should show so strong 18-19 unless one is using the K-S style weakish 5-8 response catering towards weak NT systems.

How can it be other than 18-19? If it's balanced, there is no other range for it. If unbalanced, it will have playing strength to compensate for fewer HCP. I would only pass it with a real minimum.

Lately I've been playing 2NT as forcing though, to allow jump shifts to be genuine two-suited hands and to give responder a chance to show distribution that couldn't be shown earlier. But that's merely an aside to the original post.

#11 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-28, 19:05

How can it be other?

1. Like I said ranges for 1nt response vary on both the low and top end depending on rest of system. If responder has min 8, 18-19 wants to be in game always, what's the point of bidding 2nt if it won't ever get passed?

2. There exist semibal hands of 16/17 value that didn't want to open 1nt for one reason or another, also the unbalanced equivalent, that might want to invite to get to game opposite responders 9/10. If 2nt shows a Q more, what do these bid?

#12 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-29, 12:09

Stephen Tu, on 2018-May-28, 19:05, said:

How can it be other?

1. Like I said ranges for 1nt response vary on both the low and top end depending on rest of system. If responder has min 8, 18-19 wants to be in game always, what's the point of bidding 2nt if it won't ever get passed?

2. There exist semibal hands of 16/17 value that didn't want to open 1nt for one reason or another, also the unbalanced equivalent, that might want to invite to get to game opposite responders 9/10. If 2nt shows a Q more, what do these bid?

I agree with you in the sense that your view is a very reasonable and perhaps even optimal style. But your question 2 is overselling your point - these semi-balanced hands can always reverse or rebid 3C. The horrible suit in Phil's example is not that much of an issue when we know partner is either a "genius" or has 3+ support.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users