BBO Discussion Forums: An early sacrifice or just a lucky bid? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

An early sacrifice or just a lucky bid? Making 5C with only 10 HCPs

#1 User is offline   oldem 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-May-02, 05:08

As South, I was surprised to hear three consecutive PASS bids.
West's opening lead was the Q which was covered by his partner's singleton K to my A, establishing Dummy's suit. I cashed the A and continued with another to E's K. Now, East cashed the A. If East shifted to , then we would have been set, but lucky enough that East continued with the K which I ruffed, and thus making the contract for a 13+ IMPs.

#2 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-May-02, 06:12

4 would have been enough for me.

You were lucky that (1) West didn't lead an obvious top diamond; (2) clubs were 2-2; (3) two spade honours clashed on the first trick; (4) you got an unlikely entry to dummy; (5) E/W were not playing count signals on the first heart trick; (6) East didn't protect with a double (presumably because he didn't fancy a 5 bid from his partner.

#3 User is offline   JanisW 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-May-02, 06:23

5 is a horrendous bid.
Your ODR is way to low for blasting to the 5 LvL. Give N the K and it's already a phatnom sac.

#4 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-May-02, 07:19

I can make 5 with only 7 High Card Points, with dummy not even helping :)

AKT98765432

Though a genuine 5 pre-empt would be more like

KQT98765432

With two aces 5 is not the right bid as other commentators have indicated

#5 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-May-03, 03:49

View Postoldem, on 2018-May-02, 05:08, said:

As South, I was surprised to hear three consecutive PASS bids.
West's opening lead was the Q which was covered by his partner's singleton K to my A, establishing Dummy's suit. I cashed the A and continued with another to E's K. Now, East cashed the A. If East shifted to , then we would have been set, but lucky enough that East continued with the K which I ruffed, and thus making the contract for a 13+ IMPs.

5 would not be my choice.
West has an easy DBL and they have an easy -300 score for you.
I do not know what would happen had you not gone wild. One of them has 19 hcp and other has 11 hcp. They also have 9 card fit in 2 suits.
There is a good chance they could end up playing 5 red which could turn -300 to +50.
Not even mentioning the loss of spade fit for your side due to your action.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users