• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ill Player Leaves Game ACBL

#1 User is offline   suprgrover 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-January-02, 22:53

Say a player takes ill during the game and cannot continue. His partner takes him home, and there are no kibitzers, so there is now an empty pair in the movement.

It's clear enough to award Ave+ to the pairs scheduled to play our unfortunate pair in later rounds. I think they would get Ave- because the reason that we could not get a valid result was the ill player's fault (strictly speaking). Let's say they leave halfway through the session. If they had a good game going, they might still place in their section. Are there any criteria for determining how many boards you need to actually play to earn a high placement?

#2 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-January-03, 01:51

View Postsuprgrover, on 2013-January-02, 22:53, said:

Say a player takes ill during the game and cannot continue. His partner takes him home, and there are no kibitzers, so there is now an empty pair in the movement.

It's clear enough to award Ave+ to the pairs scheduled to play our unfortunate pair in later rounds. I think they would get Ave- because the reason that we could not get a valid result was the ill player's fault (strictly speaking). Let's say they leave halfway through the session. If they had a good game going, they might still place in their section. Are there any criteria for determining how many boards you need to actually play to earn a high placement?

It's a matter of regulation. For example we have regulations in the EBU that say (slightly simplified) that if they withdraw before half way through the event, all their results are cancelled; if after half way through, results against them stand and those who don't play against them get AV+. The pair themselves are usually deemed to have abandoned the competition, but may in cases of illness their scores may be allowed to stand.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#3 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-03, 09:08

From the ACBL General CoC for Pairs Events: Each player must play at least seventy percent of the boards, played by the partnership to be eligible for either session or overall masterpoint awards. A fill-in pair must play at least 87.5% of the available boards to qualify for overall awards.

I do not know if ACBLScore implements this regulation automatically.

The criteria may be different at teams.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#4 User is offline   jeffford76 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-03, 13:21

It's clear enough to award Ave+ to the pairs scheduled to play our unfortunate pair in later rounds.

At the risk of starting the same old argument, the advice I have received in the ACBL is to award NP, not Ave+ for the boards remaining to be played.

#5 User is offline   jeffford76 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-03, 13:22

View Postblackshoe, on 2013-January-03, 09:08, said:

I do not know if ACBLScore implements this regulation automatically.

It does not. You must mark the pair ineligible manually.

#6 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2013-January-03, 20:04

View Postjeffford76, on 2013-January-03, 13:21, said:

At the risk of starting the same old argument, the advice I have received in the ACBL is to award NP, not Ave+ for the boards remaining to be played.

People ask for advice for the correct thing to do here, not what some person who has not read the Law book carefully considers correct.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#7 User is offline   jeffford76 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-04, 11:22

View Postbluejak, on 2013-January-03, 20:04, said:

People ask for advice for the correct thing to do here, not what some person who has not read the Law book carefully considers correct.

I'm not sure which person you're saying hasn't read the law book correctly. If you mean me, I certainly understand that "not played" is not mentioned there, and I would read the laws to say that average plus is correct.

If you mean the person who gave the advice, it is a reasonably high level tournament director and I think it's insulting to him to imply that he has not read the laws carefully.

Very occasionally the advice I get from the top doesn't strictly match the law, or only matches a reading of it I wouldn't consider correct. I still think if I want to direct ACBL games I'm supposed to follow the advice, not say that I know better.

#8 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-January-04, 11:45

The question is whether the advice you get from a fellow TD is considered "official".

I remember a case a while back — I suggested to a club TD here that "not played" was illegal, and she had to award an ArtAS. She demurred. I repeated my opinion. She called Butch Campbell at ACBL HQ and asked him if she could use "not played" in the particular case - a board lost to slow play, as I recall. He said "that's what it's for!" I understand Butch no longer works for the ACBL, but the point is that if club TDs call HQ for advice and get a wrong answer, we have a problem.

Your top level TD may well have read the laws carefully — and received bad advice from someone else. Generally, when you're given bad advice, the best thing to do is ignore it. I don't give "NP" when an ArtAS is appropriate. Period. Butch Campbell was wrong.

Note: the club TD in question has admitted to me, privately, that I'm "probably" right. She's still giving "NP" for boards cancelled due to slow play. :( :blink:
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#9 User is offline   jeffford76 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-04, 11:52

View Postblackshoe, on 2013-January-04, 11:45, said:

The question is whether the advice you get from a fellow TD is considered "official".

As you know, it is impossible for a club director to get official advice in the ACBL.

I remember a case a while back — I suggested to a club TD here that "not played" was illegal, and she had to award an ArtAS. She demurred. I repeated my opinion. She called Butch Campbell at ACBL HQ and asked him if she could use "not played" in the particular case - a board lost to slow play, as I recall. He said "that's what it's for!" I understand Butch no longer works for the ACBL, but the point is that if club TDs call HQ for advice and get a wrong answer, we have a problem.

Your top level TD may well have read the laws carefully — and received bad advice from someone else. Generally, when you're given bad advice, the best thing to do is ignore it. I don't give "NP" when an ArtAS is appropriate. Period. Butch Campbell was wrong.

And this is where I disagree. If that's what the head office is telling people to do, that is what you should do, even if you think it is the "wrong answer". It is obvious to me that in the ACBL the expectation is that NP be used, whether it is legal or not.

#10 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-January-04, 12:04

View Postjeffford76, on 2013-January-04, 11:52, said:

As you know, it is impossible for a club director to get official advice in the ACBL.

Heh. Too true. :( :( :angry:

View Postjeffford76, on 2013-January-04, 11:52, said:

And this is where I disagree. If that's what the head office is telling people to do, that is what you should do, even if you think it is the "wrong answer". It is obvious to me that in the ACBL the expectation is that NP be used, whether it is legal or not.

Even the ACBL is prohibited by the laws of the game from making regulations that are in conflict with those laws. This idea of using "NP" is illegal, and I'm not going to do it. I'll quit directing first.
--------------------

#11 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-January-04, 12:40

View Postblackshoe, on 2013-January-04, 12:04, said:

Even the ACBL is prohibited by the laws of the game from making regulations that are in conflict with those laws.

That's never stopped them before. Eventually the lawmakers realize that there's little point in fighting it, and they change the laws to make the ACBL regulations legal.

And in this case, we're not talking about a regulation.

#12 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-January-04, 12:50

View Postbarmar, on 2013-January-04, 12:40, said:

That's never stopped them before. Eventually the lawmakers realize that there's little point in fighting it, and they change the laws to make the ACBL regulations legal.

And in this case, we're not talking about a regulation.

The ACBL might formally put in place a regulation that says "use 'not played' to score boards not played for the following reasons: <list>" and include such things as "when there isn't time to play it". Such a regulation would conflict with the laws, which require an ArtAS in such a case. The ACBL have in fact not put such a regulation in place. "Use 'not played'" is advice, and nothing more. Either way, it's illegal, and I ain't doin' it.
--------------------

#13 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-07, 09:56

I would think you could almost do it like a fouled board
the scores stand on those who played against them and avg or avg plus for those not playing this pair

#14 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-January-07, 10:19

It would have to be average plus, since those pairs were not at all at fault. There seems to be some reluctance to award "too many" (whatever that means) average pluses in a game, but I confess I don't understand why. The law says do it, so do it.
--------------------

#15 User is offline   jeffford76 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-07, 13:15

View Postblackshoe, on 2013-January-07, 10:19, said:

It would have to be average plus, since those pairs were not at all at fault. There seems to be some reluctance to award "too many" (whatever that means) average pluses in a game, but I confess I don't understand why. The law says do it, so do it.

You really don't understand why? In a 7-table Mitchell, who do you think is going to score better, a pair that plays 28 boards normally, or a pair that plays 24 boards normally and also gets 4 60% boards (which are factored up if their other boards were over 60%)? Many people don't think this is a fair comparison.

#16 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-January-07, 15:49

Maybe it's not, but the scenario in this thread is not going to give one pair four Average plusses, and I frankly can't think of one that will.

Is it fair if a pair that is supposed by law to get 4 average plusses doesn't get them because the TD doesn't think it's fair if they do? What of Law 81B2? Should we just ignore it?
--------------------

#17 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-07, 16:08

View Postblackshoe, on 2013-January-07, 15:49, said:

View Postjeffford76, on 2013-January-07, 13:15, said:

In a 7-table Mitchell, who do you think is going to score better, a pair that plays 28 boards normally, or a pair that plays 24 boards normally and also gets 4 60% boards (which are factored up if their other boards were over 60%)?

Maybe it's not, but the scenario in this thread is not going to give one pair four Average plusses, and I frankly can't think of one that will.

Did OP somehow preclude the possibility that we're talking about a 7-round movement with 4 boards per round?

#18 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-January-07, 18:03

Okay, fair enough. Still, my dictionary says that "fair" means "in accordance with the rules", so if the laws say to give 3 pairs 4 average plusses, then that's "fair", and ignoring the laws out of some misplaced sense of "it's not fair" is wrong.

I also think Law 81B2 specifically prohibits a TD from doing something other than awarding pairs who were scheduled to play the pair that leaves average plus on all the boards they missed.

If folks want to lobby the lawmakers to change the laws, have at it, but in the meantime the law is what it is.
--------------------

#19 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-08, 07:22

View Postblackshoe, on 2013-January-07, 18:03, said:

Still, my dictionary says that "fair" means "in accordance with the rules"

Mine doesn't, and it wouldn't occur to me to use the word in that sense. However, this seems to be a difference between American and English usage:
American OED: "in accordance with the rules or standards; legitimate"
English OED: "treating people equally without favouritism or discrimination"

... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#20 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-January-08, 09:38

View Postgnasher, on 2013-January-08, 07:22, said:

English OED: "treating people equally without favouritism or discrimination"

It's strange that American dictionaries don't give that definition of fair, since I've heard many people use it that way. And my American dictionary's definition of "unfair" describes it as the opposite of this.

Perhaps it's because in American society, it's normal to make rules that provide equality, so "treating equal" and "following the rules" are conflated.

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users