Challenged Claim

#1 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-April-08, 14:44

S plays 7 NT
Lead = 4

South claims without any explanation. EW calls TD.
Peer of S at other table, in same contract and same lead, plays the Q at T1 !! (not sure if that is relevant )Is this illogical play or careless play? (in reality it is both imo)
What should TD do at this table?

Thanks in adv.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#2 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2018-April-08, 14:56

i rule down, if declarer is careless enough to claim at trick one with no statement, surely they're also careless enough to miscount clubs
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#3 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-08, 15:37

There are 13 top tricks on a club lead, and the claim suggests declarer noticed that. 7NT=.

#4 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-08, 15:38

This sort of thing is what destroys the pace of play by discouraging people from claiming, yes you should play the 8 from dummy before claiming, but saying effectively "I have 13 top tricks" which is totally true should be enough, there are no entry issues, 13 winners and 13 tricks. Even if you do play the Q you still make 13 by way of the normal heart finesse.

Particularly saying this to a decent player is insulting their intelligence, I wouldn't have the gall to say anything to anybody who can follow suit.

#5 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-April-08, 16:26

Tournament Directors have better things to do than to be called to a table where the lead has automatically guaranteed the contract. What happens at the other table is irrelevant. If I were either East or West I would feel absolutely foolish to call the TD to the table except if I was playing against completely rank novices.

#6 User is online   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-08, 17:07

Q: How do we get players to state a line of play when they claim?
A: Rule against them when they fail to state a line of play and there is a line which fails.

Now, if we don't care whether players state a line of play when they claim, what the heck, just let the claim stand unless there's no possibility it makes. But that's not what the rules say to do.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#7 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2018-April-08, 17:27

This was played in a Turkish event. They asked my opinion after TD accepted the claim. I said I agree with TD decision. And that they can not force declarer to play Q from the board. This is like you hold AJx in hand and Kxx in dummy and u need 3 tricks in that suit for claim, and they lead this suit and you claim.

I may be wrong of course and that is what I wanted to check with you guys.

View PostCyberyeti, on 2018-April-08, 15:38, said:

Even if you do play the Q you still make 13 by way of the normal heart finesse.

Not sure if they will allow declarer to take any winning line when there are alternatives, once he plays the Q. Claim suggests that declarer thinks he has 13 tricks without any finesse, squeeze etc..by simply cashing his sure tricks. Why would any of us believe declarer would take finesse when we all saw that he did not even bother to use the hook he has in hand in club suit, on club lead?

I believe the issue is whether TD should consider the Q a careless play or illogical play at T1, no?
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#8 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-08, 17:42

View PostMrAce, on 2018-April-08, 17:27, said:

I believe the issue is whether TD should consider the Q a careless play or illogical play at T1, no?

It's inconsistent with the claim, which IMO is prima facie evidence that it is illogical.

#9 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-April-08, 18:21

The claim implies that declarer recognizes that he received a free finesse on the opening lead. I would be embarassed to dispute this claim.

#10 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-April-08, 18:24

View Postblackshoe, on 2018-April-08, 17:07, said:

Q: How do we get players to state a line of play when they claim?
A: Rule against them when they fail to state a line of play and there is a line which fails.

I personally don't bother to state a line of play when it's just top tricks. So I reject the premise that we have to make examples of players like this.

#11 User is offline   sacto123 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-April-08, 20:05

View PostCyberyeti, on 2018-April-08, 15:38, said:

This sort of thing is what destroys the pace of play by discouraging people from claiming, yes you should play the 8 from dummy before claiming, but saying effectively "I have 13 top tricks" which is totally true should be enough, there are no entry issues, 13 winners and 13 tricks. Even if you do play the Q you still make 13 by way of the normal heart finesse.

Particularly saying this to a decent player is insulting their intelligence, I wouldn't have the gall to say anything to anybody who can follow suit.

If you play the Q and then claim, all cards are faced and you are not allowed to take a finesse.

#12 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2018-April-08, 20:12

View Postbarmar, on 2018-April-08, 18:24, said:

I personally don't bother to state a line of play when it's just top tricks. So I reject the premise that we have to make examples of players like this.

There are only 11 "top tricks" here (3+2+2+4).
Playing the Q first in order to avoid a blockage in clubs is not irrational but it is certainly inferior and careless.

So is claiming without a statement.

#13 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-08, 20:55

View Postpran, on 2018-April-08, 20:12, said:

There are only 11 "top tricks" here (3+2+2+4).
Playing the Q first in order to avoid a blockage in clubs is not irrational but it is certainly inferior and careless.

So is claiming without a statement.

There are six obvious clubs on the lead. Ruling otherwise will quickly turn the game from a contest of skill to one where players out-lawyer each other. Is that really what you want?

#14 User is online   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-08, 21:44

:(

View Postbarmar, on 2018-April-08, 18:24, said:

Of course you do. :(
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#15 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2018-April-08, 23:17

I wrote this hand to Kit Woolsey in BW, and he replied.. I will copy and paste.

Hi Timo,I agree that what happened at the other table is irrelevant -- that is just stupidity

Of course I would allow the claim. Declarer has a demonstrable 13 tricks, and obviously knows it.

Now suppose instead declarer got some non-club lead, claimed without playing a card, and it turned out 10xxxx of clubs was onside. Obviously declarer would make with the natural club play, as the finesse will then be marked. However, I would not let declarer make on that scenario. There is quite a difference.

Kit

#16 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-09, 00:36

View PostMrAce, on 2018-April-08, 23:17, said:

I wrote this hand to Kit Woolsey in BW, and he replied.. I will copy and paste.

Hi Timo,I agree that what happened at the other table is irrelevant -- that is just stupidity

Of course I would allow the claim. Declarer has a demonstrable 13 tricks, and obviously knows it.

Now suppose instead declarer got some non-club lead, claimed without playing a card, and it turned out 10xxxx of clubs was onside. Obviously declarer would make with the natural club play, as the finesse will then be marked. However, I would not let declarer make on that scenario. There is quite a difference.

Kit

I wonder what he is basing his last paragraph on. The situation is explicitly covered by Law 70E1.

. The Director shall not accept from claimer any
unstated line of play the success of which depends
upon finding one opponent rather than the other
with a particular card, unless an opponent failed to
follow to the suit of that card before the claim was
made, or would subsequently fail to follow to that
suit on any normal line of play.

Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#17 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2018-April-09, 01:40

View Postsfi, on 2018-April-08, 20:55, said:

There are six obvious clubs on the lead.

Not if he plays the Q to trick 1?

#18 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-09, 01:48

View Postpran, on 2018-April-09, 01:40, said:

Not if he plays the Q to trick 1?

True. Declarer might also also try to cash three diamond tricks next. The two possibilities seem equally likely for someone who claims at trick 1 after seeing the club lead.

#19 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-09, 02:07

View Postgordontd, on 2018-April-09, 00:36, said:

I wonder what he is basing his last paragraph on. The situation is explicitly covered by Law 70E1.

A declarer who hasn't seen that the club suit is not guaranteed to provide 6 tricks (after all LHO could have 10xxxx, rather than RHO) should be presumed not to see the value of cashing Q as the first trick in the suit.

#20 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-09, 03:19

View PostWellSpyder, on 2018-April-09, 02:07, said:

A declarer who hasn't seen that the club suit is not guaranteed to provide 6 tricks (after all LHO could have 10xxxx, rather than RHO) should be presumed not to see the value of cashing Q as the first trick in the suit.

Any way of trying to cash the suit (if not led) that doesn't start with the Queen is not in my opinion a normal line. Even if you haven't seen the danger of the bad break, it's normal to start with the high card from the short hand to avoid any danger of blocking it. I seem to remember teaching this to first-year students of the game! That's not to say there might not be reasons to play a suit like this in a different fashion, but absent such reasons I think this is the only normal way of playing it.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users