Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Response to 1 NT?

#1 User is offline   haka9 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-April-07, 02:53

Playing 13-15 NT partner opens 1 NT. 2 from right and you have K53 92 J1075 AQ53. What to bid or not? We have not talked about interference over NT. What would be the "standard" bid?

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-April-07, 11:04

If you haven't discussed anything, 2 bids are natural and weak, 3 bids natural and game forcing. I think most would assume that a double by the player over the overcaller is penalty, by the player under them is takeout, but you probably shouldn't try this undiscussed, either. Most experts play Lebensohl, but who knows if this wouldbe understood without discussion.

I know you'd like to do something with your hand, but there isn't really much I can see to do.

#3 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-April-07, 11:25

We play TO doubles here and I would make one, willing to tough it out in 2 spades should it happen with the heart ruff(s) coming from the 3-card side.

However, that is by agreement ONLY and without it I would pass thinking that game is unlikely and hoping for a modestly bad board instead of risking a zero. If the other tables open 1m instead of 1nt and only have to deal with a 1 overcall you may just be in jail but all non-standard ranges and methods deal you lemons once in a while.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-April-07, 11:38

View Postggwhiz, on 2018-April-07, 11:25, said:

We play TO doubles here and I would make one, willing to tough it out in 2 spades should it happen with the heart ruff(s) coming from the 3-card side.

I sometimes worry about a partner with 3 spades thinking the same thing....

#5 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-07, 13:07

View Postbarmar, on 2018-April-07, 11:38, said:

I sometimes worry about a partner with 3 spades thinking the same thing....

Been there..... more than twice. :)

Meckwell invented support doubles to cut down on the number of 3-3 fits they wandered into also and we don't play them.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#6 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-08, 15:01

View Postbarmar, on 2018-April-07, 11:04, said:

If you haven't discussed anything, 2 bids are natural and weak, 3 bids natural and game forcing. I think most would assume that a double by the player over the overcaller is penalty, by the player under them is takeout, but you probably shouldn't try this undiscussed, either. Most experts play Lebensohl, but who knows if this wouldbe understood without discussion.

An alternative convention that is simpler than Lebensohl (and arguably more effective too) is Rubensohl.
Essentially, the 2 in a suit bids are natural and weak, 2NT and 3 in a suit bids are transfers and the transfer to the overcaller's suit is a GF Stayman.
Like all conventions, you can easily make it more complicated and in any case don't try it undiscussed.

#7 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-13, 09:01

... or better, if you are prepared to give up a penalty double, is simple transfers starting from X = transfer to next step. This way partner is playing the hand and overcaller is having to lead away from his holding.

So if you were going to transfer to 2 before the opponent bid, just bid the same 2 or double their 2.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users