Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

GIBonics GIBidding

#1 User is offline   virgosrock 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-March-29, 09:42

Well, here we are. My choices are 4H - which is what GIBBO tends to do after a minor fit - OR bid 4H. I thought 'twas more important to show the 4th club.
Should GIBBO be bidding 3H ?

vrock

#2 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-March-29, 12:19

For result merchants, 4 should also be down 1 after a club ruff.

3 is just bizarre. I can't imagine a good (or even intermediate) human player making that bid.

#3 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-29, 12:52

IMO:

- GIB should bid 3H not 3S. cue 3S minor raise should deny 4+ cds in unbid major. Priority for north should be:
1. Free bid OM with 5+ in other major
2. negative double with 4+ in other major and values
3. Bidding 3nt if thinks 3nt makes more often than 5m.
4. make the forcing raise of minor.

- You should bid 3nt. When partner bids 3S, he wants to hear 3nt from you very often. He might have 5 solid clubs and ace of hearts, 9 tricks just roll. Or other combinations where the are 9 cashers. And if not, can hope either partner has a 2nd spade stopper as here, or partner has 3, you can hold up on spades, and keep west out later. Partner shouldn't play you for more than a single stop, with a hand that looks like safer 5c opposite your weak nt type hand and a single stop should insist on clubs.
It's important to get to 3nt if possible, there are lots of hands that have 9 tricks in NT but only 10 in clubs, layouts like this one (although more common for 3 losers most outside clubs instead of 2 club losers).

- second choice for me would be pass over 3s x, not 4c. That allows partner to bid 3nt, for one thing. Having a 4th club isn't something to emphasize, partner is supposed to assume you have 4 clubs in competitive auctions anyway. Passing lets partner utilize 3nt and redouble.

3nt would be the best spot on the actual layout, lucky to get there instead of 4H. Then again East might not find singleton club lead? But getting to 4H is the normal auction and is going to be better than 3nt way more often than not. Absurd that North never mentions hearts.

#4 User is offline   virgosrock 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-29, 12:57

View Postjohnu, on 2018-March-29, 12:19, said:

For result merchants, 4 should also be down 1 after a club ruff.

3 is just bizarre. I can't imagine a good (or even intermediate) human player making that bid.

yes i noted that too but was irrelevant in context.

vrock

#5 User is offline   virgosrock 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-29, 16:58

View PostStephen Tu, on 2018-March-29, 12:52, said:

IMO:

- GIB should bid 3H not 3S. cue 3S minor raise should deny 4+ cds in unbid major. Priority for north should be:
1. Free bid OM with 5+ in other major
2. negative double with 4+ in other major and values
3. Bidding 3nt if thinks 3nt makes more often than 5m.
4. make the forcing raise of minor.

- You should bid 3nt. When partner bids 3S, he wants to hear 3nt from you very often. He might have 5 solid clubs and ace of hearts, 9 tricks just roll. Or other combinations where the are 9 cashers. And if not, can hope either partner has a 2nd spade stopper as here, or partner has 3, you can hold up on spades, and keep west out later. Partner shouldn't play you for more than a single stop, with a hand that looks like safer 5c opposite your weak nt type hand and a single stop should insist on clubs.
It's important to get to 3nt if possible, there are lots of hands that have 9 tricks in NT but only 10 in clubs, layouts like this one (although more common for 3 losers most outside clubs instead of 2 club losers).

- second choice for me would be pass over 3s x, not 4c. That allows partner to bid 3nt, for one thing. Having a 4th club isn't something to emphasize, partner is supposed to assume you have 4 clubs in competitive auctions anyway. Passing lets partner utilize 3nt and redouble.

3nt would be the best spot on the actual layout, lucky to get there instead of 4H. Then again East might not find singleton club lead? But getting to 4H is the normal auction and is going to be better than 3nt way more often than not. Absurd that North never mentions hearts.

With spade Axx I would bid 3 NT since I can duck twice.

I still think in GIBBO system I should bid 4H. 3NT needed too many right cards I thought.

thanks for the suggestions :)

vrock

#6 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-07, 07:10

North should bid 3H. I will see what we can do.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#7 User is offline   virgosrock 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-April-07, 12:04

View Postjdonn, on 2018-April-07, 07:10, said:

North should bid 3H. I will see what we can do.

Thank You Sir Jdonn

vrock

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users