BBO Discussion Forums: Rate The Bid - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rate The Bid Imps

Poll: Rate The Bid (39 member(s) have cast votes)

Rate 3NT

1. Automatic (1 votes [2.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.56%

2. Good (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. A Risk But I would (2 votes [5.13%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.13%

4. A Risk But I Wouldn't (5 votes [12.82%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.82%

5. Bad (20 votes [51.28%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 51.28%

6. Madness (8 votes [20.51%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.51%

7. Abstain (3 votes [7.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-March-01, 05:58

View PostTramticket, on 2018-March-01, 03:24, said:

I'm attracted to a 3NT bid in a masochistic sort of way.

the 3 bidder probably won't have a running suit (they might open 3NT). So either partner or RHO has a club honour and it is more likely to be partner since he is showing some values.

Of course partner's club holding might be K or QX ... but if you bid it confidently he might lead something else. :)

Risky. But I might do it.

This did occur to me, if you have a stopper in the bidding, you don't always need one in the play, and a singleton club opposite a 3rd seat preempt is not desperately attractive as a lead.

#22 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-01, 07:11

MADNESS was such a nice response but since 7n was so much worse I could not quite bring myself to vote for it on the 3N issue. Why was there not a choice of "total disrespect for south's ability to balance"??? p p 3c p (don't get me started on this) p what does south know about the hand? rho averages around 8 lho averages around 8 for the preempt that leaves OUR side with an average of around 24. That means south can easily figure out north's average holding and tailor their passout seat bid accordingly.
If I figured north to have around 14 and I was looking at longish diamonds and a club stop would I not try 3n with a hand like x QJxx Axxxxx Kx? South balancing with 3d should be a huge red flag to north. South would try very hard to bid 3n if it looked reasonable and yet they backed in with 3d. I would make the case that south is vastly more likely to hold some sort of 45 or 46 hand w/o a club stop than any holding with a club stop. The decision for me would be is my hand now worth a shot at game opposite my passed partner and 3n is NOT the target. Would you balance with 3d with a holding of Qx Qxx Qxxxxxx x? I think such a balance by a passed hand is a lot less mad than 3n by north on the given conditions.

#23 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-01, 07:45

View Postgszes, on 2018-March-01, 07:11, said:

Would you balance with 3d with a holding of Qx Qxx Qxxxxxx x? I think such a balance by a passed hand is a lot less mad than 3n by north on the given conditions.

Only if I'd forgotten to open 2.

#24 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2018-March-01, 08:03

View Posteagles123, on 2018-February-28, 17:26, said:

3NT now is ...

Partner passed in 2nd seat but could hold any of a variety of hands. For example
  • Q x Q x x Q x x x x A x x
  • x x x x Q x A Q x x x Q x
  • Q x A Q x x x x x x x Q x

I rank

• Pass = NAT. Thank you partner. Take the money.
  • 4 = G/T. Try for vul game.
  • 5 = NAT Landy try for vul game.
  • 4 = CUE Showing fit but game aspirations are optimistic and slam even more so.
  • 3N = NAT Brave.

#25 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-01, 09:40

View PostTramticket, on 2018-March-01, 03:24, said:

I'm attracted to a 3NT bid in a masochistic sort of way.

the 3 bidder probably won't have a running suit (they might open 3NT). So either partner or RHO has a club honour and it is more likely to be partner since he is showing some values.

Of course partner's club holding might be K or QX ... but if you bid it confidently he might lead something else. :)

Risky. But I might do it.

Will you make 3 NT if pd has the hand you asked for and opponents did not make the lead you are scared of?

xxxx
A
Axxxxx
Qx

Assume they led (and I am guaranteeing you 2-2 ) (perhaps you need to bid 3 NT very very fast so that they will lead neither clubs nor hearts!!Posted Image)

OR will you make 3 NT when pd has a legit stopper and god forbid opening leader decides to lead the suit shown by his pd?

JTxx
x
A9xxxx
Ax

Posted Image
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#26 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-01, 09:52

View PostMrAce, on 2018-March-01, 09:40, said:

Will you make 3 NT if pd has the hand you asked for and opponents did not make the lead you are scared of?

xxxx
A
Axxxxx
Qx

Assume they led (and I am guaranteeing you 2-2 ) (perhaps you need to bid 3 NT very very fast so that they will lead neither clubs nor hearts!!Posted Image)

OR will you make 3 NT when pd has a legit stopper and god forbid opening leader decides to lead the suit shown by his pd?

JTxx
x
A9xxxx
Ax

Posted Image

Took me a few minutes ... now I see the blockage! :)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users