Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Responses to Polish Two Bids

#1 User is online   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-February-13, 08:19

These are 2 showing 5/5 or better hearts and another suit, and 2 spades and a minor.

Presumably the cheapest new suit is pass or correct, and 2nt is some kind of asking bid. What are openers rebids here?

How about other calls (2M-3)?

Looking online all the notes I could find that don’t use Wilcosz suggested over 2M-2NT opener just bids his second suit. But this leaves a pretty wide range of values (6-10 or something) and would seem to put responder on a guess as to level.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#2 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2018-February-13, 08:58

Here's a slight modification of what I used to play over Muiderberg 2

2N = Tell me your minor and range
3 = pass or correct
3 = game invite in Hearts
3 = natural, constructive
3 = 3 card support

After 2S - 2N

3 = clubs and a minimum
3 = Clubs and a max
3 = Clubs and a max
3 = Diamonds and a max, high shortage
3N = Diamonds and a max, low shortage
Alderaan delenda est

#3 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-13, 10:05

View Postawm, on 2018-February-13, 08:19, said:

These are 2 showing 5/5 or better hearts and another suit, and 2 spades and a minor.

Presumably the cheapest new suit is pass or correct, and 2nt is some kind of asking bid. What are openers rebids here?

Looking online all the notes I could find that don’t use Wilcosz suggested over 2M-2NT opener just bids his second suit. But this leaves a pretty wide range of values (6-10 or something) and would seem to put responder on a guess as to level.

We play, after 2/, 2NT:

3 = Second suit is Clubs - lower range.
3 = Second suit is Diamonds - lower range.
3 = Second suit is the other major - lower range.
3 = Second suit is the other major - upper range.
3NT = Second suit is a minor - upper range.

#4 User is offline   foobar 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-February-13, 13:21

View Postawm, on 2018-February-13, 08:19, said:

On a tangential note, for those who have played both the classical weak-2 and these bids, it would be interesting to know about your experience with either version. awm, were you thinking of adopting these bids in the context of IMPrecision?

#5 User is online   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-13, 16:31

View Postfoobar, on 2018-February-13, 13:21, said:

On a tangential note, for those who have played both the classical weak-2 and these bids, it would be interesting to know about your experience with either version. awm, were you thinking of adopting these bids in the context of IMPrecision?

No. I'm playing a bit of Polish Club with a co-worker and wanted to know how to respond to these bids. There's surprisingly little I could find online about them.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#6 User is offline   Kungsgeten 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-February-14, 16:56

In the book "Polish Club International" these bids are only briefly discussed. Lowest suit is pass or correct, while 3 is invitational with major support. 2NT is a positive bid, asking for the suit "promising there will be a good fit. Opener may jump rebid".

I used to play these as 5-5 major + minor (so not 2 as possibly hearts + spades) and 8-11 hcp. We used 2NT as a GF relay, so we could only invite with a fit for the major.

Over 2 you could use a simple min/min/max/max scheme.

Also I'm not quite sure why these two-bids are a part of Polish club. They have no real impact on the rest of the system. You could play weak twos or Ekren's or use 2 for constructive purposes (we play it as 18-19 NT in our Swedish Club system). Jassem suggests playing Muiderberg when non-vul.

#7 User is offline   DinDIP 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-March-08, 04:18

View PostKungsgeten, on 2018-February-14, 16:56, said:

Also I'm not quite sure why these two-bids are a part of Polish club. They have no real impact on the rest of the system. You could play weak twos or Ekren's or use 2 for constructive purposes (we play it as 18-19 NT in our Swedish Club system). Jassem suggests playing Muiderberg when non-vul.

My understanding is that the Poles preferred to play Wilkosz but when it was classified as a brown sticker convention the opportunity to use it was limited. They believe that it's an advantage to be able to show two-suited hands with less-than-opening-bid values, both for their pre-emptive effect and to avoid the long-run IMP losses that occur when players open marginal hands (e.g. Axxxx x xx KQxxx) in 2/1-type systems. Their assessment is that Multi and Polish Twos is better than playing natural weak twos and using 2 for some non-Brown Sticker convention/treatment.

When sfi and I switched from a symmetric relay system to Polish Club three years ago (because we were only able to play a relay system in one event -- the Vanderbilt -- when we went to the ACBL Spring Nats) we adopted Wilkosz and natural weak twos (but not for our stay in ACBL-land; however, all legal in all non-novice events in Australia). Our judgement is that weak twos and an ambiguous two-suited opening would be better than Multi plus Polish twos. We've seen nothing to make us change our minds, although we have learnt that opening Wilkosz with 6M and another suit is a losing action if opener is maximum for the 5-10 range.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users