BBO Discussion Forums: Which Structure is Best after 1M? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Which Structure is Best after 1M? Assuming light, limited, 5cM openings

Poll: Which is best after light, limited major openings? (22 member(s) have cast votes)

Which is best after light, limited major openings?

1. Natural bidding, 2/1s game force (5 votes [22.73%])

Percentage of vote: 22.73%

2. Natural bidding, 2/1s inv+ (5 votes [22.73%])

3. 1NT GF relay, 2/1s natural weak or inv (1 votes [4.55%])

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

4. 2C GF relay, 1NT semi-force, other 2/1s natural (3 votes [13.64%])

Percentage of vote: 13.64%

5. Separate inv. and GF relays, other bids weak (1 votes [4.55%])

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

6. 1NT inv+ relay, other bids natural weak (2 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

7. 2C inv+ relay, other bids natural weak (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

8. All bids transfers, wide range of strength (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

9. Other (5 votes [22.73%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   Double ! 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:My personal interests are my family and my friends. I am extremely concerned about the lives and futures of the kids (and their families) that I work with. I care about the friends I have made on BBO. Also, I am extremely concerned about the environment/ ecology/ wildlife/ the little planet that we call Earth. How much more of the world's habitat and food supply for animals do we plan on destroying. How many more wetlands are we going to drain, fill, and build on? How many more sand dunes are we going to knock down in the interests of high-rise hotels or luxury homes?

Posted 2005-April-29, 17:50

Just a thought...

Could it be that the advent, development, and refinement of the negative double provided a sufficient alternative to help avoiding missing 4-4 major suit fits that the gains of 5-card majors outweights the liabilities, especially when matchpoints necessitates having a better idea of the degree of trump fit in competitive situations?
"That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!"

#22 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-May-02, 16:06

Certainly negative doubles made 5 card majors playable. Whether they raised fives above fours is for you to discuss with the Hackett twins :)

#23 User is offline   EricK 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-May-03, 00:24

Negative doubles work well if the overcall has been in a major, but if it is in a minor then you can easily end up in the wrong fit or missing a fit altogether (eg give opener a minimum 4423 hand and responder a minimum 4324 hand after 1 (2) X )

Eric

#24 User is offline   Gerben42 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2005-May-03, 04:30

Back to the original topic. This will be based on the following assumption:

* You open 5-card majors on hands that others would not consider an opening bid regularly (this assumption was made already
* Some hands qualify for both a weak two and a 1-bid.

I combine this into the assumption that if you have a decent 6-card suit when you open, you will not have a minimum hand (otherwise you open a weak 2)

The structure is your favorite 2/1 structure but with 2/1 not GF but invite or better.

1M - 2/1 - ?
2M = 5 cards minimum.
2NT = 6 cards (not minimum)
New suit or raise partner's: GF natural
3S = 5332 maximum strength
3NT = 5332 medium strength

So this is "GF except opener rebids 2M". Nonforcing responder's rebids: Pass and 3 of his suit.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#25 User is offline   Gerben42 

• Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2005-May-03, 04:43

Freds theory about these kinds of swinging around the equilibrium is interesting. I doubt that Acol-style 4-card majors will ever come back, though. If 4-card majors become popular again it will be in the form of a system with limited opening bids (like Strong Club Canape).

What will be interesting to see if Fantunes-style systems will become popular. I think the news is spreading!
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#26 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2005-May-03, 10:56

fred, on Apr 29 2005, 06:10 PM, said:

Jlall, on Apr 29 2005, 02:18 AM, said:

I don't really agree, I think there is probably a "best" in terms of what will most likely get you to the best contract. There are ALOT of variables, and there is no absolute best since factors like memory, etc come into play. So does who the opponents are and how often they bid, etc. But I think theoretically there must be a "best" for your partnership even if you don't know who your opps will be you can figure out the average opponent. Anyways, this is all strictly theoretical of course. I prefer natural 2/1 structure over 1M.

I sort of agree with you, but I never said that there was no "best" structure - just that it would be arrogant for someone to claim that they knew what it was (because our knowledge of the game is not even close to being rich enough to be able to back up such a claim).

However, it may be even more complicated that you think. Consider this example:

For a while there was a clear trend toward lighter preempts among the leading players in the USA. Then people starting leaving in more takeout doubles of preempts. Then the light preempt started to result in too many penalties. Then people started to have a little more for their preempts...

I am not sure if some equilibrium will eventually be reached or if this rates to be a never-ending cycle.

What this proves (I think) is that, discovering the "best" set of parameters is for defining your preempts, is partly a function of the methods that your opponents use for defending against your preempts. Similarly, whatever the best methods are for defending against preempts is partly a function of what sort of hands your opponents will preempt on.

Problems that contain "feedback loops" like this one can be really hard to solve!

I suspect that the same is true of many aspects of bidding - whatever methods and style you agree on, the opponents can always invent some suitable monkeywrench to make your methods/style less effective. You can then change the way you play in order to adapt to their interference, but then they can change the way they interfere in order to adapt to your changes. Then...

Probably all this means is that, if a "best" system/style really does exist (and I agree with Justin that it probably does), the problem of trying to figure out what it is rates to be close to intractable (sorry if this is the wrong word).

Based on this principle, I made a very unsuccessful prediction a few years back:

4-card majors was going to make a comeback.

The reason I thought this was likely was because, at the time, much of the expert community was raving about the results they were getting by applying the Law of Total Tricks. 4-card majors messes with the Law so I thought more people would start to use 4-card majors in order to counter this.

Not sure if my prediction failed due to falty reasoning on my part or because the general love affair with the Law has cooled off.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

Yes, if there is a "best" system i doubt it will be found during my lifetime (i'll never say never because of technology etc etc). Sorry you are right, you never said there was no best, I definitely agree it would be silly if someone claimed they knew what it was if it does exist.

#27 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2005-May-03, 11:19

fred, on Apr 30 2005, 02:10 AM, said:

For a while there was a clear trend toward lighter preempts among the leading players in the USA. Then people starting leaving in more takeout doubles of preempts. Then the light preempt started to result in too many penalties. Then people started to have a little more for their preempts...

I am not sure if some equilibrium will eventually be reached or if this rates to be a never-ending cycle.

Couple quick comments:

1. So-called cyclical equilibria exist. Its entirely possible that this oscilation process is the steady state for the system. Cyclical equilibria are rare (most systems dampen or explode), however, it is possible...

2. I severely doubt that bidding systems are "transitive". Lets assume that we could provide that Acol > EHAA and BWS is > Acol. I don't think that it necessarily follows that BWS is > EHAA. In the absence of transitivity, the equilibirum is population based. The steady state for the system is (typically) a mixture of X% EHAA, Y% Acol, and Z% BWS...
Alderaan delenda est

#28 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2005-May-03, 11:36

uhh...yeah..what he said.. *goes and enrolls in college*

#29 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2005-May-03, 11:53

Jlall, on May 3 2005, 08:36 PM, said:

uhh...yeah..what he said.. *goes and enrolls in college*

Cyclical equilibira are actually pretty simple.

The easiest way to conceptualize one is to think about orbital bodies. Consider a star and a planet. The only stable system is one in which the planet orbit arround the star (in actuality they both rotate arround a common center of mass, but you get the picture)

If the system is perfectly balanced, then the planet will continue to orbit the star forever. In some cases, the planet is actually on a long slow spiral towards the star. This system is dampening. In other cases, the planet is on an expanding cycle and will eventually break orbit. This is system is exploding...

Population equilibria are equally basic. Here, its easiest to think about your gastro-intestinal tract. The G/I is an absolutely filthy system. Your stomach is full of E-Coli and all sorts of other nasty critters. This is actually a good thing - All of the wee beasties balance each other out, making sure that none of them is able to take over. Equally significant, all these nasty little critters make it very difficult for foreign pathogens to be able to infect you... I don't know if you've every gone on serious antibiotics. In addition to curing people, a course of antibiotics will destroy all of your intestinal flora leaving you extremely vulnerable to outside infection. Right after finishing the course of antibiotics, the doctors will normally deliberate infect you with a balanced stomach culture. In the olden days they'd feed you yogurt. Now-a-days they got pills.

Now, all you need to do is extend the analogies over to bridge...
Alderaan delenda est

#30 User is offline   luke warm 

• Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2005-May-03, 11:54

hehe... what he said (i think) is that:

just cuz the saints beat the rams and

the rams beat the pats, it doesn't necessarily follow that

the saints can beat the pats

the steady state part would be gold's power rating :P
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#31 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-May-03, 16:59

Perhaps the main point here is that "invitational" hands are much more frequent and important opposite the light opening style. The range is something like 10-14 points, which is fairly wide and includes many of the most frequent strengths. Methods based on 2/1s being game forcing, or on 1NT as a game force relay, tend to sacrifice accuracy on these invitational range hands in exchange for better game/slam bidding on game-forcing hands. This makes some sense with sound openings where "invitational" is 10-12 and "game force" is 13+ but not so much sense opposite light openings where the ranges are 10-14 and 15+ respectively.

Perhaps the lighter opening style will see a return to popularity for "old-fashioned" bidding without game forcing 2/1 bids.

Of course there are also various relay approaches to consider, but again the main point is that we need a good way to bid the invitational hands. The options seem to be (1) maintain 1NT as natural, making it easier to bid the non-GF hands (but sacrificing a relay step to use 2 as the relay) (2) use separate game force and invitational relays (3) make the relay invitational or better. I guess the main consideration here is whether you believe relays are a good way to go on invitational hands (I personally have doubts that relays will do a good job finding light games and stopping in the right partscores on non-game hands, but to each their own).
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#32 User is offline   david_c 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mathematics;<br>20th century classical music;<br>Composing.

Posted 2005-May-03, 17:26

awm, on May 3 2005, 05:59 PM, said:

This makes some sense with sound openings where "invitational" is 10-12 and "game force" is 13+ but not so much sense opposite light openings where the ranges are 10-14 and 15+ respectively.

Heh - that's not light, that's ultra-light ... change my vote from "other" to (2) :)

I describe my own methods as light openings, but they're still sound enough that I'd force to game with 13.

#33 User is offline   sfbp 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2005-May-04, 10:35

My 2 cents - this is what we have been playing in Purple (standardised) Precision card for a while... doesn't really fit any of the poll's definitions.

2/1 - 5-card suit, 10+ (I guess this invitational or better!) only game forcing if responder supports opener's major at 3-level on second round with or without jump.

Jump shifts - STRONG... (no bergen) - 16 points and KQxxx is a bare minimum

2NT - Jacoby 15+ and 4 trumps

3M - flat hand (3 OR 4 trumps), no ruffing value, pard is advised not to proceed unless he was going to bid 4M over ANY raise

2M - hand which will accept AT LEAST ONE game try (we play short suit game tries, something like reverse Kokish!?)

4M - of course any hand which doesnt need to mess around, this may include 12-counts with 4 trumps as well as 5 counts with 5 trumps :unsure:

1NT - ANYTHING ELSE. May be very good or very bad hand, or hand which wishes to deposit pd in 2M. Also any hand which thinks it might bid 2NT inviting on second round, or any hand which, with rebid from pard showing SIX, will play in game in 6-2 fit. Also any hand with ruffing value that wants to invite by jumping to 3M at second turn. This is essentially an alertable treatment (no lower or upper point count bound) but usually we just say "forcing". Second round non-jump bid of new suit is drop dead, of course. I call this the "i-don't-know-what-to-do" bid. It works because most of the time opener is sufficiently limited - jump shift or rebid by opener is rare and of course non-forcing.

1S - if partner opens 1H, and we have 4 spades, we treat this essentially the same as 1NT, except for the very good and very bad options. If he rebids 1NT we have XYZ which gives the responder lots of choices.

Splinters, sure. We play 1S 3H as splinter so care must be taken with 1S-2H since it may have a very strong hand, of course, because no SJS available.

And the other major at the 4-level is always natural.

Stephen
Stephen Pickett
co-founder HomeBase Club, author of BRidgeBRowser

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users