• Group: Full Members

Posted 2003-July-16, 09:58

Just wondering
"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent." --Isaac Asimov

#2 User is offline   luis 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2003-July-16, 11:01

I'm sure almost everybody will answer "yes why not", what about 5422 hands with both minors or a 5m and 4M? Do you open 1nt when you have one/both doubletons protected or always?
The legend of the black octogon.

#3 User is offline   lenze 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2003-July-16, 13:21

I'm sure almost everybody will answer "yes why not", what about 5422 hands with both minors or a 5m and 4M? Do you open 1nt when you have one/both doubletons protected or always?

At my age, my judgement and table sense is not so keen anymore, so I make up rules. If the hand has 15-17, I check for a singleton. If no singleton, I check for more than 2 doubletons. Next I check for a 6 card major. If no 6 card major, I pull out the 1NT card. Doesn't always work, but I don't have to think or worry about it.

BTW: About 25 years ago, I opened 1NT on

S Qx
H Qx
D AKQxxxx
C Qx

Got a top when partner played 2 Spades after a 2 Heart overcall.

Also, last week in a regional swiss team, needing a good result, I opened 1NT, NV vs Vul as south on

S KQJxxx
H Kxx
D Ax
C Ax

Had the chance to defend 4 Spades by west (In her void)
Please do not complain about my opinion. I don't have the time to convince you I'm right.

#4 User is offline   lifemonster 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2003-July-16, 16:13

I did it routinely. Just treat it as the 6-cd 5332.

#5 User is offline   JRG 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2003-July-16, 16:53

I have a problem with the poll. Like many polls, it is biased. It doesn't simply ask questions, it editorializes.

For example, I did NOT respond to the poll because an honest answer is that I have never opened 1NT with a six-card minor; however, it is not illegal, I do not think it is unethical, nor do I feel it will be disastrous. I just haven't done it, which, by the way, doesn't mean I won't.

John
JRG

#6 User is offline   JSilver 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2003-July-17, 11:25

I have a problem with the poll. Like many polls, it is biased. It doesn't simply ask questions, it editorializes.

Ok, I suppose you're right that the answer choices present a bias. I was trying to have a little fun with this. But I really do want honest answers. Thanks for yours.
"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent." --Isaac Asimov

#7 User is offline   Cave_Draco 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2003-July-17, 12:41

The problem is not the 6-card minor, it's the singleton or two doubletons, :-D.

Playing a Weak NT? NEVER!

Playing a Strong NT? AK-AK-Kxx-xxxxxx? Hmm, could be amusing but misleads P. So, NO!
"I know that there is only one power worth having. That is the power, not to take, but to accept; not to have, but to give."

#8 User is offline   luis 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2003-July-17, 12:46

I'm playing weak NT allowing 5M-3-2-2, 6m-3-2-2 or 5m-4M-2-2 distributions and I think that the results are being favorable. Maybe the accuracy of our contracts after opening 1nt is not as good as it was but now we have a lot of relief in forcing NT sequences after 1h-1s or 1s-1n (we reverse the meaning of 1s and 1nt after 1h). For example we can play 1s-1n;2n to be forcing and that gives a lot of flexibility to the system.
Bah, I'm still experimenting and evaluating this.

#9 User is offline   Cave_Draco 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2003-July-17, 13:33

I'm playing weak NT allowing 5M-3-2-2, 6m-3-2-2 or 5m-4M-2-2 distributions and I think that the results are being favorable. Maybe the accuracy of our contracts after opening 1nt is not as good as it was but now we have a lot of relief in forcing NT sequences after 1h-1s or 1s-1n (we reverse the meaning of 1s and 1nt after 1h). For example we can play 1s-1n;2n to be forcing and that gives a lot of flexibility to the system.
Bah, I'm still experimenting and evaluating this.

In the system that I designed... :-D

6m & 5m-4M were opened 1S: 4-4M & 5M opened 1D; with < 1NT response, bid your worse Major!

Do you not feel that you are overloading 1NT?
"I know that there is only one power worth having. That is the power, not to take, but to accept; not to have, but to give."

#10 User is offline   luis 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2003-July-17, 13:41

Hi draco,

Yes we are overloading 1NT but for some very strange reason we've found that 80% of opponents suicides occur when we open a weak NT, either they pass all the time with game in their hands or decide to bid and get smashed for a number when they don't have to. They confuse themselves about what they play against weak nt, how to reopen etc. That's why I don't mind losing precision when we open 1nt as long as we open 1nt more hands....

Maybe this doesn't happen where you play but I still prefer to have a problem in the bidding after 1nt rather than after a forcing NT auction when things tend to get really dark.....

#11 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2003-July-17, 16:32

Playing a weak NT, you will find good players looking for an excuse to open 1NT, not an excuse NOT to open 1NT.
Absolutely nothing wrong with a 6223.

Interestingly enough one or 2 players who post here seem to believe that a weak NT should be a "disciplined" opening, whatever that means; nothing could be further from the truth.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#12 User is offline   Cave_Draco 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2003-July-17, 19:39

With a 6-2-2-3; Why am I not opening 1S?

:-D

#13 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2003-July-17, 21:13

If you want to open 1S with a 6 card minor as the whole of this thread was about Cave Draco, that's fine with me. I think that is even more likely to mislead your partner, however.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#14 User is offline   JRG 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2003-July-18, 20:38

I think Cave_Draco's response was tongue-in-cheek. Clearly 6-2-2-3 is a specific distribution; whereas 6-3-2-2 is not.
JRG

#15 User is offline   mishovnbg 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge - new bidding systems, psyches; Computers - education, service, program; Computer games great fan :-)

Posted 2003-July-19, 19:31

Opening any NT with long suit you MUST have at least one 3 major (1) or if you open with 5 major you MUST have 3 cards (2) in other major. Need, if you partner have both majors (1) or 5+ cards in other major (2).
Misho
MishoVnBg

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users