• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

GIB picks wrong suit

#1 User is offline   wbartley 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-December-27, 19:22

Just Play Bridge robot. South is human.

The explanation for the 4NT bid was 5+; 5+; 18+ total points.

#2 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-December-28, 03:41

It's hard to figure out what GIB is doing on some of these hands. Maybe it's a canape preference, maybe it was a Blackwood response showing 0-3 keycards (0 keycards would be spot on)

#3 User is offline   Jyrki_63 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-January-04, 06:58

GIB is pretty much useless if you ask it for a preference.

I once held 46 in spades and diamonds, and GIB had 24 there. Afterwards I regretted introducing spades at all after the opps had contested in hearts. GIB gave a preference to spades. At the five level.

I guess GIB simulator parameters lack the logic to take into account that a minor suit opening is a real suit when the opponents reveal a 9+ card fit in a major.
A hand from yesterday's day long:

North (GIB) 4, 7532, A3, AQJT53

South (me) A53, A, J985, K8642

I open 1C. LHO overcalls 1S. GIB doubles - wouldn't be my choice, but if GIB thinks it is a must to show such a heart "suit" so be it. RHO raises to 3S. That is passed around to GIB. Then GIB doubles again! IMHO that is bizarre beyond belief. In my book that bid denies club support. Assuming GIB has values in the red suits I pass.

This was not a success. GIB cashes the CA. Leads a heart to my ace. I switch to nine of diamonds to deny interest (dummy had Txxx in diamonds). GIB cashes the ace, but fails to give me my heart ruff (as I denied diamond king that is the only chance, so I don't know about its simulations??). 3SX made with 6C cold our way :-(

Anyway. If that double only shows extra strength then the GIB system should be changed. How am I supposed to divine that it is not
showing a red two suiter with only four hearts (or a weak five carded unsuitable to a 2 level call in the earlier round).

Is GIB somehow forbidden from showing 6 card suppport to my first bid suit with a natural bid?????

I guess my unfamiliarity with GIB's system is to be blamed also.

#4 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-04, 12:17

View PostJyrki_63, on 2018-January-04, 06:58, said:

I switch to nine of diamonds to deny interest (dummy had Txxx in diamonds).

Switching to the 9 is a waste of effort and spot cards. GIB does not interpret suit signals so any signal you make is completely ignored.

#5 User is offline   Jyrki_63 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2018-January-04, 16:08

If you say so :-)

Wonder whether delaying the diamond play (or playing the Jack?) would have helped? But, if GIB has DK and declarer AQ, then I need two diamong leads, so I can't really wait, can I?

#6 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-January-04, 17:05

Preference auctions can't be fixed all at once. They have been worked on many times, and many are fixed but some like this one aren't. Sorry it happened to begin with, I'm not sure what caused it on this auction.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users