Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lead and etc 2/1 ACBL

#1 User is offline   dickiegera 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-December-14, 19:40

I led the K clubs and partner played the 7 Clubs.

I could not read the card and continued with a Spade.

Where did we go wrong? We set the contract 1 trick for a great result. They should have been in 4 hearts.

However we could have taken the first 8 tricks if I would have continued Clubs.

Again where did we go WRONG and is the lead of King clubs correct or should it be the Ace or a small one.
Should partner played a club different from the 7?

HELP

#2 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-December-14, 21:27

there is no such thing as ONE SIZE FITS ALL when it comes to defensive carding. Bridge means taking time to think about each situation. Lets begin with trick 1 (I assume all followed but it was not mentioned) and some assumptions that west should make when they see the club opening lead.

Which partner has the majority of the defensive values (east) since w has almost nothing?
is it reasonable to assume East is trying to "hit" west rather than setting up or playing their won suit?
if east is trying to "hit" west with a holding of K(xxx) is the K the right play or might a small club seem better?

When you take the time to consider the information it becomes vastly more likely east has lead from the AK and it is unlikely they do not have at least 1 small club also since otherwise the lead of the top clubs appears to be useless.
That means there is an superb chance our side can run the club suit. Play the club Q!!!!!!!!!! to promise the J (or a singleton) If p cannot figure out the Q is not singleton get a new partner:)
W/O the J west should play their 2nd highest card (in this case the 8) to increase the probability east will read it as a positive signal. The club 7 is a good try but the 8 is even better and the Q is top notch.

I do not know what the dummy looked like after trick 1 but even if you were unsure about clubs maybe it would be best to try the dia ace to see if west likes that suit. If west does not like diamonds I would go back to clubs and hope for the best since playing either of the opps suits looses any tempo we started with due to having the opening lead.

#3 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-December-15, 01:46

You show 2 sets of E-W hands. Which one is correct? Also, did South put down dummy at any time before the 2nd trick ;) and what cards were played to trick 1? What signals did you agree to play?

Whatever the answers to my question are, the 7 is a hopeless card to play unless you have an agreement that playing a middle card means continue a high club.

#4 User is offline   dickiegera 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-December-15, 08:52

View Postjohnu, on 2017-December-15, 01:46, said:

You show 2 sets of E-W hands. Which one is correct? Also, did South put down dummy at any time before the 2nd trick ;) and what cards were played to trick 1? What signals did you agree to play?

Whatever the answers to my question are, the 7 is a hopeless card to play unless you have an agreement that playing a middle card means continue a high club.

Both N and S followed to trick one.
I edited original to show just 1 set of E/W hands

I am not sure of the holdings in the Spades, hearts and diamonds. I am sure of the club holding. North and south each had just one club, we had 11 clubs 4 for East and 7 for West.

Thank you

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-December-15, 09:26

What was the contract and auction ?

What was the dummy ?

I suspect you removed more than you intended when you edited.

#6 User is offline   dickiegera 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-December-15, 10:34

View PostCyberyeti, on 2017-December-15, 09:26, said:

What was the contract and auction ?

What was the dummy ?

I suspect you removed more than you intended when you edited.

Dummy was 5-4-3-1 , I am not sure of the particular cards

#7 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2017-December-15, 11:13

Play the Q showing the J under partner's top honour, what has partner led from when he clearly has at least as many diamonds ?

#8 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2017-December-15, 13:24

View PostCyberyeti, on 2017-December-15, 11:13, said:

Play the Q showing the J under partner's top honour, what has partner led from when he clearly has at least as many diamonds ?

This is OK here, but in a slightly different layout could block the suit. Better to ask for, and give, attitude.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#9 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2017-December-15, 17:05

View PostVampyr, on 2017-December-15, 13:24, said:

This is OK here, but in a slightly different layout could block the suit. Better to ask for, and give, attitude.

But you KNOW it's OK, with this precise holding regardless of what partner's led it from, more awkward if you have less of them

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users