BBO Discussion Forums: does acbl define 'semi-forcing 1NT"' - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

does acbl define 'semi-forcing 1NT"'

#41 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-December-19, 10:46

View PostTramticket, on 2017-December-19, 09:56, said:

Yes, I agree that this a form of short-hand. I guess that I get frustrated when I get nothing more than the form of short-hand - even when I ask for an explanation. This is just me expressing one of my pet irritations I guess! :)

Shorthands like this are only intended to be used in announcements, like like "Transfer" and "Could be short". If you want more details, you ask for it. The alternative to these announcements is just ordinary "Alert", which would not be any more useful, and would probably just slow things down further. Instead of "Semi-forcing", "What kind of hand does it show?", you'd have "Alert", "Please Explain", "Semi-forcing", "What kind of hand does it show?".

As for the literal meaning of "semi-forcing", I don't really have a problem with it. It's obviously just short for "Forcing unless opener has a very specific type of hand." If you don't like this term, what would you suggest as an alternative? Remember, we're talking about an announcement, so it needs to be terse, not a full-blown explanation.

#42 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-December-19, 19:35

View PostTramticket, on 2017-December-19, 09:56, said:

Yes, I agree that this a form of short-hand. I guess that I get frustrated when I get nothing more than the form of short-hand - even when I ask for an explanation. This is just me expressing one of my pet irritations I guess! :)

Don't let it irritate you. "You alerted X. What does X show?" "Convention name" "Thanks. What does it show?" Or "what is it?" "Convention name" "thanks. What is it?" Just ask the same question again in the same tone of voice. Or just "I don't know what that means" Honestly it makes the situation much less irritating somehow.

EDIT somehow missed barmar's post.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#43 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-December-19, 23:09

View PostTramticket, on 2017-December-19, 05:54, said:

It matters because when LHO opens 1 and RHO responds 1NT, correctly alerted (in England), I might then ask LHO for an explanation of the bid. I contend that LHO’s explanation that the bid is a “Semi-forcing NT” is an inadequate explanation and the Blue Book discourages the use of convention names (see 3C). I expect my opponent to tell me what hand types are included in the response.

So would I, in the ACBL. I have, of course, had to prod them sometimes. Usually by quoting Temperance Brennan: "I don't know what that means". :-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users