BBO Discussion Forums: Responder's bids with 5-card major after opener rebids 1NT - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Responder's bids with 5-card major after opener rebids 1NT

#1 User is offline   pdoubi 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-December-21, 08:52

Partner opens and you bid a 5-card major at the 1-level with 5332 distribution (2 cards in partner's suit). Partner rebids 1NT. What do you bid if you have 6-9 points, 10-12 pints, or 13-15 points?

#2 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-December-21, 10:14

What strength does the 1NT rebid show?

Do you play Ang form of Check-back? New Minor Forcing? Or similar?

#3 User is online   Douglas43 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Walking, boring my wife with bridge stories

Posted 2020-December-21, 11:41

Hi pdoubi, welcome. Hope you find the forums useful.

If the 1NT rebid is 12-14, in the absence of any partnership agreement how about (a) two of your suit (b) 2NT with 11-12 © 3NT.

My normal method is a simple stayman-style checkback 2C. It's always constructive and partner shows shape by bidding what he has, jumping with a maximum. But many people play a more sophisticated approach. You can find a description under "Crowhust after a strong no trump rebid" here. Crowhurst Bridge Convention - Bidding and Responses (bridgebum.com) I am a Brit and normally play 12-14 NT and 15-17 1NT rebid, but you can just add three points to the states ranges to adjust them.

This is not as scientific as some methods but it's easy to remember (just think "2C is Stayman") and it works OK. There are forum topics about "checkback" if you want something more intricate. There is also a Pete Hollands video on the You Tube about 5 useful conventions in which he describes his preferred two-way checkback.

#4 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2020-December-21, 16:28

View Postpdoubi, on 2020-December-21, 08:52, said:

Partner opens and you bid a 5-card major at the 1-level with 5332 distribution (2 cards in partner's suit). Partner rebids 1NT. What do you bid if you have 6-9 points, 10-12 pints, or 13-15 points?

Assuming that opening 1N would show 15-17:

With 6-9 hcp, and 5332 shape, game is out of the question. The only issue is whether to pass 1N or bid 2M (M= your major)

If you want a simple rule, that will usually get a decent result, then always bid 2M. Even a 5-2 fit may play better than 1N, since when you have a weak hand, partner may not be able to score length tricks in your suit, because he lacks entries, even if he can set them up. Most of the time, barring really bad breaks, you are assured of scoring low trumps.

If you are prepared for a bit more complexity, then look at your hand, the texture of your suit, and the location of your modest high cards.

If I have 6-7 hcp, then unless my major is truly woefully weak, I always bid 2M. But with, say, xxxxx Qxx Kxx Qx, after partner opened 1C, I’ll pass 1N. My honours will help fill in his hand, and even if he has Hxx in spades, we may lose 4 trump tricks (if his H is the Ace, rarely will we lose more than 3 tricks), which we can’t avoid playing in spades, yet he may scramble 7 tricks without needing my ‘long’ suit.

If I have 8-9 hcp, then I’m even more likely to pass 1N with 5332. Now I have enough hcp, usually, that I’ll have a shot at an entry if he needs to score length tricks in my major. Again, it depends on my hand. The stronger the major, and the weaker the rest of my hand, the more I will bid 2M (the exception being, say, AKQxx, where even with xx opposite, partner can duck a spade and then run the suit in 1N)

If you have 10-12, then you expect a combined strength of 22-26 hcp (assuming 1m usually promises 12 hcp, it would be 21-26 if he could open on 11)

With 10, unless it’s a very nice 10, with good texture (I.e. good spot cards, which are not valued in the 4321 method, but which are definitely important on borderline hands....picture KQ432 or KQ1098), I’d treat it the same way I would a 9 count.

With some hope for game opposite a 12-14, then how you bid depends on your methods. All aspiring players should learn one of the common methods of exploring over the 1N rebid. I strongly recommend what is known, perhaps misleadingly, as Two Way New Minor Forcing. You can Google it readily enough. You’ll find that you rebid 2C, artificially, forcing partner to bid 2D. He has no choice: he must rebid 2D no matter his hand. Now 2M shows 5+ in the major and invitational values.

With 13-15, you are bidding game, but should it be 3N or 4M? There are some 14-15 hands where I’ll just bid 3N. These hands will feature a weak major suit, such that playing in a 5-3 fit may result in too many unavoidable trump losers on a moderately bad break. Picture Qxxxx opposite xxx. Meanwhile, on such a hand, our great strength outside of the major will usually enable us to score 9 tricks without recourse to the suit

If playing Two Way New Minor, you rebid 2D as an artificial game force. Note that this says nothing about your hand other than that you’re forcing to game or higher.

Partner makes the cheapest descriptive bid. If he bids 2M, you bid 4M. If he bids 2N or 3 of a minor, he doesn’t hold 3 card support so you bid 3N

If the auction has been 1C/1D 1S 1N 2D 2H, he has 4 hearts and 2 or 3 spades. 2S by you shows 5+ and he raises to 3S with, otherwise bidding something else (almost always 2N)

There are other methods of exploring over 1N with invitational or stronger hands. You could Google New Minor Forcing, which was popular in expert circles (and remains popular in less-than-expert circles) before Two Way New Minor was invented

If your 1N was weak, so the rebid showed, say, 15-17, the same advice applies, but obviously you’re forcing to game with all 10+ hands😁
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#5 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-December-21, 19:27

In addition to Mike's post, I would also put in a mention for system factors in the decision to rebid the major (or not) with a weak hand. If you play a system like SEF or Forum D, where the 1NT rebid will never have a singleton in our suit and where a 3-card raise will never be considered, that makes rebidding the major considerably more appealing than a more American style where rebidding 1NT with a singleton tends to be an option. Against that, if playing a method where 3 card raises are common, even with balanced hands, that would push the bar for rebidding the major much higher.

In other words, it is not enough just to say that Opener rebid 1NT. It is also necessary to understand what hands are included in that call. That is not the same for every system and every region of the world.
(-: Zel :-)

#6 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-December-23, 05:36

View Postpdoubi, on 2020-December-21, 08:52, said:

If I had 10-12 pints I would not bid anything, I would be under the table.

Merry Christmas

#7 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2020-December-23, 07:31

View PostfromageGB, on 2020-December-23, 05:36, said:

If I had 10-12 pints I would not bid anything, I would be under the table.

Merry Christmas

Ha ha, I was tempted to reply along those lines. I would be in hospital.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users