BBO Discussion Forums: I would rather win the lottery but........ - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I would rather win the lottery but........

#1 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-October-11, 12:57

Last match of our Regional Swiss, we need VP's for a decent placing but it's been very quiet up to this 2nd last hand. We perpetrated the following with a little help and no, it has nothing to do with real bridge.

After the A lead (T on the right) and another diamond, heart to hand and lho shows out. K successfully run then Q and J pitching all 3 clubs. Ruff a club low, back to hand in trumps and ruff the spades good with the Q, draw trump and claim.

Making a slam off 3 aces and with a 4-0 trump break is at least a personal record.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#2 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2017-October-11, 15:33

Deserves +1 for its cheerful, reckless, devil may care, swashbuckling bidding and play...even though the opponents must have been seriously peed off with the result. Who needs Blackwood? :)

#3 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2017-October-11, 22:58

Cherish the hand and tuck it away in your memory for the times when you get a hand that is cold with even a 4-1 break and one of your opponents shows out on the first round. The bridge gods giveth some time and taketh away other times.

#4 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-October-12, 13:32

if LHO looking at that dummy cannot find a club switch they deserve their sad result. Now if we can only figure out a way to also give the poor bidding a deserved negative score :)))))))))))))))))))))))))

#5 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-October-12, 16:06

View Postgszes, on 2017-October-12, 13:32, said:

if LHO looking at that dummy cannot find a club switch they deserve their sad result. Now if we can only figure out a way to also give the poor bidding a deserved negative score :)))))))))))))))))))))))))

I have sympathy for LHO. Imagine holding two aces against a slam - it would hardly seem credible that partner would also hold an ace! I can understand trying for a diamond ruff - it would seem as good as anything.

#6 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-October-12, 17:13

Reminds me of a hand at Brighton once where we made a grand slam off two aces. Partner holding a 1=0=6=6 hand opened a strong (8PT+) bid with only 14 HCPs, RHO competed in the majors, I had a well-fitting hand and eventually jumped to 7D thinking "surely partner must have the spade ace otherwise how can he have his bid"... RHO led the HA, partner ruffed and established clubs to throw away my spades. After we left the table opening leader (being berated by his partner) swore loudly and thumped the table - right in front of the TD. :/

ahydra

#7 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-October-13, 10:38

View Postahydra, on 2017-October-12, 17:13, said:

Reminds me of a hand at Brighton once where we made a grand slam off two aces.
ahydra

I'm sure there are a lot more stories like this out there that should be collected for a book, Bridge for the Criminally Insane.

A friend once told me of being on lead against a grand with 2 Aces. Knowing one would get ruffed with no clue as to which he led a green suit and got squeezed at the end.

And there is an old story of John Crawford (?) playing against Ozzie Jacoby in a similar situation. Ozzie was known to lay the dummy down as fast as possible and turn it over to a kibitzer so he could pace around so Crawford led his gum wrapper and down it came.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#8 User is offline   JmBrPotter 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bicycling, Chess, Computer Science, Go, Hiking, Learning, Military Simulation Games, Photography, Quality Improvement, Reading (SciFi, nonfiction), Statistics, Teaching, Two-Player Partial Information Games, Two-Player Total Information Games, oh! I almost forgot---Duplicate Contract Bridge playing and directing

Posted 2017-October-19, 19:31

With the working void, it seems to me that you are really off only two aces.
:-)

Brian Potter

e-mail: ClioBridgeGuy >at< att >dot< net
URL: Bridge at the Village

Bridge is more than just a card game. It is a cerebral sport. Bridge teaches you logic, reasoning, quick thinking, patience, concentration, and partnership skills.
- Martina Navratilova

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users