• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Insufficient bid EBU

#81 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-October-16, 11:50

View Postbarmar, on 2017-October-16, 09:03, said:

No you didn't. The direction the Laws have been moving in regarding IB and BOOT is to try to get a normal bridge result, not penalizing the player for the slip, and I agree with this intent. As long as partner doesn't take advantage of UI, while the withdrawn call is AI to the opponents, why should partner be barred all the time? Making the IBer guess the final contract feels like an overly severe punishment, and the Lawmakers apparently agree.

Maybe next time he will choose a legal bid. There is no reason to bid illegally, ever, so why should such a lawbreaker avoid punishment? Overly severe? No, that would be something like automatic 60/30. Although I would not disapprove.

Надежда умирает последней
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#82 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-October-17, 08:45

View PostVampyr, on 2017-October-16, 11:50, said:

Maybe next time he will choose a legal bid.

The Laws have specified harsh punishment for insufficient bids for generations. Yet they still happen frequently. Obviously they're not working as a deterrent, and there's no reason to think that making them harsher will improve things.

So they're trying the opposite tactic of "no harm, no foul".

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users