Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Solid Slam PAB

#1 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-September-06, 05:38

Pula Point a board (BAM for those on the other side of the pond); Lead Q. East's card would be discouraging. If you cash the top hearts, East shows out on the second round.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#2 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2017-September-06, 08:56

Quick look only. Straightforward if West is 3334 distribution as you can eliminate/partially eliminate the suits and throw him in with the winning to lead away from the J. That's only a quick look as there is probably much more to this problem than meets the eye

#3 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2017-September-07, 05:02

View PostThe_Badger, on 2017-September-06, 08:56, said:

Quick look only. Straightforward if West is 3334 distribution as you can eliminate/partially eliminate the suits and throw him in with the winning to lead away from the J. That's only a quick look as there is probably much more to this problem than meets the eye

That was my plan. If you play ace, king and another diamond and ruff, West will over-ruff and play a spade. What now?

#4 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-07, 06:05

View Postlamford, on 2017-September-07, 05:02, said:

That was my plan. If you play ace, king and another diamond and ruff, West will over-ruff and play a spade. What now?

You could duck the spade, playing west for both the QJ of spades or rise with the ace of spades hoping to drop a singleton Q or J spade with East (meaning that west started with six spades).

We know that East started with seven red cards and West with four, so there is room for west to have a six-card spade suit. But with six spades and six/seven points he may have found a bid on the first round.

I would guess to play a low spade on the spade switch.

#5 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-07, 06:13

Deleted

#6 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2017-September-07, 06:31

View PostTramticket, on 2017-September-07, 06:05, said:

You could duck the spade, playing west for both the QJ of spades or rise with the ace of spades hoping to drop a singleton Q or J spade with East (meaning that west started with six spades).

We know that East started with seven red cards and West with four, so there is room for west to have a six-card spade suit. But with six spades and six/seven points he may have found a bid on the first round.

I would guess to play a low spade on the spade switch.

West seemed confident with the spade exit, and I played for either player to have QJx of spades, by ruffing the third round, as the eight of hearts is still an entry. That seems slightly better than playing for West to have QJxx(x)

#7 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-07, 07:00

Assuming west has J there is no point in finessing spades, west will be squeezed on the run of the trumps anyway.

#8 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-07, 14:11

Needed some coffee, but I've got this now. What needs to happen is to rectify the count immediately by letting West have the Q after AK. Forget about cashing AK. This allows you to both play for QJx in both hands, and QJxx in West's hand.

Let's say West returns a at trick four. Cash AK and ruff third . Play K and remaining trumps. The end position is

I believe we can assume that West led from QJ9. He is squeezed on last trump and last led towards dummy.

#9 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-07, 16:35

View PostTramticket, on 2017-September-07, 06:05, said:

Does the fact that West started with Qxx and 2 diamonds change your analysis?

#10 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-07, 16:38

View PostThe_Badger, on 2017-September-07, 14:11, said:

Needed some coffee, but I've got this now. What needs to happen is to rectify the count immediately by letting West have the Q after AK. Forget about cashing AK. This allows you to both play for QJx in both hands, and QJxx in West's hand.

Maybe a 2nd cup of coffee? :)
You don't need West to have QJxx - Hxxx (or Hxxxx or QJxxx) is also fine - all as long as he has the club 9, which I wouldn't take as a given - North denied a club control, hence leading QJxx is safe.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#11 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2017-September-07, 21:50

Once trump do not break, you have to start thinking about a possible squeeze. Given that West has the guard, you should be able to see that there can't be any squeeze on East because there is no pointed suit threat in the South hand (upper hand vs. East). So the only squeeze possible has to be against West.

#12 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-September-08, 00:34

View Postcherdano, on 2017-September-07, 16:38, said:

Maybe a 2nd cup of coffee? :)
You don't need West to have QJxx - Hxxx (or Hxxxx or QJxxx) is also fine - all as long as he has the club 9, which I wouldn't take as a given - North denied a club control, hence leading QJxx is safe.

Yes, the 9 is the all important card. Well spotted that a lead was safe and that North had denied a control. By the time I had worked out the squeeze play, the bidding and the inferences the defenders would have drawn had all but eluded me. You're right: Maybe a 2nd cup of coffee needed :)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users