BBO Discussion Forums: Contested Claim - how many tricks? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Contested Claim - how many tricks? (Scotland)

#1 User is offline   jules101 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-August-18, 18:08

North is declarer in 4, and currently has 7 tricks. Here is the four card ending.

Declarer is on lead, and says...

"I'm playing Q which will fell the Jack, and then just tables his last three cards T9 and 9 (implying all were winners) OK?"

Not statement is made about trump (eg no statement such as "I'll just play my and you can take your winner whenever you like"), so it is clear declarer is not aware there is a trump outstanding.

Neither is declarer aware that West is holding the boss trump rather than a small one.

Once the claim is contested North says happy to lose a trump trick.

TD is called and asked to adjudicate.

Assuming West doesn't ruff Q!d, and declarer thinks all his cards are good could TD suggest that he plays 9!h next. This would lose to T!h and when a spade is returned then EW score the last three tricks.

Declarer says it would be illogical for his to play the trump first as he can't be forced to play in "careless manner".

But given his counting and also his claim were both careless can he also be asked to play in careless manner?

Now that he is alerted to the fact that there is a trump outstanding then perhaps it would be logical for him to play 9!h in order to pull the remaining trump if he thinks it might be smaller than his? That way he would still make 11 tricks rather than ten!

You - as TD - have to decide how many tricks declarer is entitled to.

a) Allowing him to continue playing until West ruffs. Declarer can regain the lead and win remaining tricks. = 10 tricks.

b) Assuming West doesn't ruff Q, and declarer is now obliged to play his trump then he loses the final three tricks. = 8 tricks.

Which will it be?

#2 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-August-18, 18:36

Declarer has complied with Law 68C: A claim should be accompanied at once by a clear statement as to the order in which cards will be played, of the line of play or defense through which the claimer proposes to win the tricks claimed. He has stated this order: Q, 10, 9, 9. That is his line of play. If West trumps any of the diamonds tricks, he will perforce lead a black card. It would be absurd (and contrary to law) to rule that declarer cannot ruff this lead. It would be contrary to law to throw out declarer's line of play and rule that he leads the 9 on any trick prior to trick 13.

One trick to the defense. 4 making four. Next hand!
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#3 User is offline   jules101 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-August-18, 18:44

Sorry - perhaps I phrased his (mis)claim wrongly.

He said he plays Q felling the Jack.

And then tabled his last three cards suggesting all were winners.

He didn't state in which order he would play this three cards, but implied all were winners.

I've edited the original post to make this more clear (I hope!).

At this point the claim is contested, so he THEN states he'll play on and will lose a trump (but he has not idea which trump it is).

#4 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2017-August-18, 20:10

Did declarer imply that he would play diamonds first? Unfortunately this comes down to director-judgement. In practice, his decision could go either way, depending on his opinion of the claimer and of the claimer's argument. The ruling is bound to leave one side or the other unhappy.

Rules require judgement but I think that Bridge-rules should rely on director judgement as little as possible -- because it results in contentious and incomprehensible rulings.

In particular I feel that claim-rules could be more simply framed so that there would be less need for director judgement

#5 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2017-August-18, 23:18

Well, if he didn't state a clear line of play, and just laid his last three cards on the table, that does imply he thought all were winners. Would it be "normal", but "careless" or "inferior", to play his trump earlier than trick 13? Sure. Does he think all his tricks are good? It seems so. In this case, I would probably rule that he might lead his trump at trick 11. In that case it looks like the defense gets the last three tricks. Down 2. If declarer doesn't like that, maybe he'll remember to state a clear line of play next time.
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#6 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2017-August-19, 05:44

View Postjules101, on 2017-August-18, 18:08, said:

Declarer says ... he can't be forced to play in "careless manner".

Declarer can be presumed to play normally, which includes careless.
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#7 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-19, 08:15

This looks an easy one; declarer continues with the nine of hearts, and loses the last four tricks. If the missing heart was the eight, that would be best play, so, given that he is unaware of the missing trump, this line is just careless.

If we swap the nine and ten of hearts, then it is one trick to the defenders, as it is just careless not to draw the missing trump.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#8 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2017-August-19, 08:27

View Postlamford, on 2017-August-19, 08:15, said:

This looks an easy one; declarer continues with the nine of hearts, and loses the last four tricks. If the missing heart was the eight, that would be best play, so, given that he is unaware of the missing trump, this line is just careless.

If we swap the nine and ten of hearts, then it is one trick to the defenders, as it is just careless not to draw the missing trump.

Not four. Three. Assuming West doesn't trump the Q.
--------------------

#9 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-August-19, 08:30

View Postlamford, on 2017-August-19, 08:15, said:

This looks an easy one; declarer continues with the nine of hearts, and loses the last four tricks.

The ruling is easy, but as a much-maligned Barbie once said, "math is hard". After he plays the Q, there are only 3 tricks left to lose.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users