BBO Discussion Forums: Law 27B1 (Insufficient Bid) - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Law 27B1 (Insufficient Bid)

#1 User is offline   BudH 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Operations Supervisor/Technical Advisor at nuclear power plant, soccer and basketball referee for more than 25 years; GLM; Ex-Head (Game) Director at South Bend (Indiana) Bridge Club; avid student of bridge law and game movements

Posted 2017-August-25, 17:43

Law 27B1(a) - "If the insufficient bid is corrected by the lowest sufficient bid which specifies the same denomination(s) as that specified by the withdrawn call, the auction proceeds without further rectification...."

Looking at the hypothetical insufficient bid example below:

1NT-(2)-2 (intended as a transfer to spades, but didn't see the overcall)

Unfortunately, due to the words "lowest sufficient BID", a stolen bid double is not allowed under 27B1(a) because it must be a BID. Unfortunate, and I suspect being able to use a double or redouble as a transfer should have been considered as acceptable. (Perhaps there were concerns about a pass for penalty by partner?)

If they are playing stolen bid doubles, 2 is likely artificial, meaning the lowest sufficient BID is 3.

Yes, it is possible the stolen bid double may be considered a comparable call under Law 27B1(b).

#2 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-August-25, 18:13

I thought a stolen-bid double was a double of a club overcall used as Stayman. Surely this extension of the concept is highly unusual?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#3 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-26, 01:08

View PostBudH, on 2017-August-25, 17:43, said:

Law 27B1(a) - "If the insufficient bid is corrected by the lowest sufficient bid which specifies the same denomination(s) as that specified by the withdrawn call, the auction proceeds without further rectification...."

Looking at the hypothetical insufficient bid example below:

1NT-(2)-2 (intended as a transfer to spades, but didn't see the overcall)

Unfortunately, due to the words "lowest sufficient BID", a stolen bid double is not allowed under 27B1(a) because it must be a BID. Unfortunate, and I suspect being able to use a double or redouble as a transfer should have been considered as acceptable. (Perhaps there were concerns about a pass for penalty by partner?)

If they are playing stolen bid doubles, 2 is likely artificial, meaning the lowest sufficient BID is 3.

Yes, it is possible the stolen bid double may be considered a comparable call under Law 27B1(b).

Is this a problem? You get to make the call you want with the meaning you want it to have. Does it matter to the player whether this is allowed by 27B1a or 27B1b?
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#4 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2017-August-26, 02:41

View PostVampyr, on 2017-August-25, 18:13, said:

I thought a stolen-bid double was a double of a club overcall used as Stayman. Surely this extension of the concept is highly unusual?

I think that your usage is highly restrictive.

Many posters (mainly North American?) use "stolen-bid double" to refer to any double which means "I would have bid that".
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#5 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2017-August-26, 04:55

View PostRMB1, on 2017-August-26, 02:41, said:

I think that your usage is highly restrictive.

Many posters (mainly North American?) use "stolen-bid double" to refer to any double which means "I would have bid that".

I see. I have not come across this.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#6 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2017-August-26, 05:48

View PostVampyr, on 2017-August-26, 04:55, said:

Yes. Stolen bid is horrible
so after 1N-(2H)
normally you can bid 2S to play then X is either takeout or penalty , system choice. and ways to bid S higher

stolen X
X=spades
to show 4S you have to bid 3H
and no way to penalize

Sarcasm is a state of mind

#7 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2017-August-26, 06:36

View Poststeve2005, on 2017-August-26, 05:48, said:

Yes. Stolen bid is horrible
so after 1N-(2H)
normally you can bid 2S to play then X is either takeout or penalty , system choice. and ways to bid S higher

stolen X
X=spades
to show 4S you have to bid 3H
and no way to penalize

What is the rationale for this? Losing the takeout double seems a high price to pay.

#8 User is offline   BudH 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Operations Supervisor/Technical Advisor at nuclear power plant, soccer and basketball referee for more than 25 years; GLM; Ex-Head (Game) Director at South Bend (Indiana) Bridge Club; avid student of bridge law and game movements

Posted 2017-August-26, 07:09

View Postgordontd, on 2017-August-26, 01:08, said:

Is this a problem? You get to make the call you want with the meaning you want it to have. Does it matter to the player whether this is allowed by 27B1a or 27B1b?

It's not a problem for this particular auction, but in other auctions it could matter.

It seems to me if double and redouble can be used under Law 27B1(b) using a comparable call (27B1a, that the same should be true for Law 27B1(a) using the option of showing the same denomination(s) with the cheapest sufficient call (instead of bid).

#9 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-26, 07:11

View PostBudH, on 2017-August-26, 07:09, said:

It's not a problem for this particular auction, but in other auctions it could matter.

Do you have an example where it could?
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#10 User is offline   BudH 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-26, 07:14

View PostVampyr, on 2017-August-25, 18:13, said:

This is one of those things you won't see in high level bridge (where insufficient bids and calls out of rotation are also rare.)

But in a local club game, at least in the USA, I have seen several cases where stolen bid doubles are played throughout the 2-level and sometimes the 3-level. And that is where the large majority of insufficient bids and calls out of rotation will occur.

Your local club director is going to have far more practice and experience using the new comparable call law and the changes to the insufficient bid, call out of rotation, and lead penalty laws than a high level tournament director will have.

#11 User is offline   weejonnie 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, croquet

Posted 2017-August-26, 08:08

If 2 shows spades then it is allowable under 27B1a
Surely, if the stolen bid double shows 5 spades then it qualifies under 27B1b. It does not matter if it shows a non-minimum, or even a minimum hand with spades since a non-minimum hand is a subset of a minimum - > anything hand.

(b) except as in (a), if the insufficient bid is corrected with a comparable call (see Law 23A)
the auction proceeds without further rectification. Law 16C does not apply but see D
following.
No matter how well you know the laws, there is always something that you'll forget. That is why we have a book.
Get the facts. No matter what people say, get the facts from both sides BEFORE you make a ruling or leave the table.
Remember - just because a TD is called for one possible infraction, it does not mean that there are no others.
In a judgement case - always refer to other TDs and discuss the situation until they agree your decision is correct.
The hardest rulings are inevitably as a result of failure of being called at the correct time. ALWAYS penalize both sides if this happens.

#12 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-26, 10:34

I sometimes wish I hadn't, as I have a couple of partners who insist on it. "Lebensohl is too hard".
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#13 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-August-26, 19:44

It's the standard meaning of the term on this side of the pond.

We had a discussion of the term just a couple of weeks ago:

http://www.bridgebas...__1#entry929637

View PostVampyr, on 2017-August-26, 06:36, said:

What is the rationale for this? Losing the takeout double seems a high price to pay.

Or the penalty double. Stolen bid double is often considered one of the worst conventions. It's something that's mostly played by LOLs, who like things simple.

#14 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-August-26, 19:50

View PostBudH, on 2017-August-25, 17:43, said:

Not just possible, I think it's practically certain.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users