BBO Discussion Forums: Summary - CCs, LPs, IBs, COORs - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Summary - CCs, LPs, IBs, COORs

#1 User is offline   BudH 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Operations Supervisor/Technical Advisor at nuclear power plant, soccer and basketball referee for more than 25 years; GLM; Ex-Head (Game) Director at South Bend (Indiana) Bridge Club; avid student of bridge law and game movements

Posted 2017-July-16, 11:05

While preparing training materials for local club directors on the upcoming law changes, I created this two-page "cheat sheet". I thought I'd make the content available here, and if you have any comments or suggestions, I'd be happy to see them.

Also, if someone can suggest to me how, in this forum, I can indent lines so the last part of calls out of turn will look like it is supposed to look, that would be great to know.

Bud

2017 LAW CHANGE SUMMARY FOR COMPARABLE CALL, LEAD PENALTY, INSUFFICIENT BID, AND CALL OUT OF ROTATION

COMPARABLE CALL

• Similar meaning, OR
  • Subset of possible meanings, OR
  • Same purpose (ask, tell, relay)

Does offender’s partner know (nearly) as much from the replacement call compared to the withdrawn call? If “YES”, then the replacement call is a comparable call. Consider strength (minimum and maximum), suits shown, and length of suits shown.

The Director is to be liberal with the term “similar meaning” and to consider a call to be comparable on a close decision. If the Director judges a replacement call to be comparable but later feels the result was affected by assistance gained through the withdrawn call causing non-offenders to be damaged, he awards an adjusted score.

Offender needs to know if the Director will rule his replacement call to be comparable (auction and play proceed normally) or non-comparable (offender’s partner required to pass at least once, so offender may need to guess a contract to bid knowing it may be passed out). Therefore, the Director should take offender away from the table before he makes his replacement call.

CALL WITHDRAWN – LEAD PENALTY (first time offender’s partner is on lead)

• Replaced by comparable call - no lead penalty.
  • Replaced by non-comparable call – declarer prohibits lead of any ONE suit not LEGALLY specified by offender for as long as offender’s partner retains the lead. [If offender’s replacement call or any later call shows the suit(s) of the withdrawn call, declarer can only prohibit a lead of ONE of the OTHER suits.]

INSUFFICIENT BID (not accepted by offender’s LHO)

To avoid restrictions on partner, offender’s replacement call must be:
  • the lowest sufficient bid specifying the same denomination; OR
  • a comparable call.

Otherwise, offender passes or legally bids (no double or redouble allowed) and offender’s partner must pass FOREVER.

CALL OUT OF ROTATION (not accepted by offender’s LHO)

Following a call out of rotation, a player is never required to pass more than ONCE.

Bids out of rotation and passes out of rotation are treated identically and are split into two major categories: (A) it was RHO’s call, and (B) it was LHO’s call (having not yet called) or partner’s call:
  • It was RHO’s turn to call
    • If offender passed, he passes again. Auction and play proceed normally.
    • If offender bid,
      • if RHO passes, offender repeats his bid. Auction and play proceed normally.
      • if RHO does not pass and if offender’s replacement call is a:
        • comparable call, auction and play proceed normally.
        • non-comparable call, offender’s partner must pass ONCE. Lead penalty applies.

• It was LHO’s turn to call (not having made his first call) OR it was partner’s call
    • Proper player continues auction. Offender’s partner reminded not to use Unauthorized Information (UI) from offender’s withdrawn call.
    • At offender’s next turn, if his call is a:
      • comparable call, auction and play proceed normally.
      • non-comparable call, offender’s partner must pass ONCE. Lead penalty applies.

#2 User is offline   weejonnie 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, croquet

Posted 2017-July-16, 14:31

You may like to look at This PDF
No matter how well you know the laws, there is always something that you'll forget. That is why we have a book.
Get the facts. No matter what people say, get the facts from both sides BEFORE you make a ruling or leave the table.
Remember - just because a TD is called for one possible infraction, it does not mean that there are no others.
In a judgement case - always refer to other TDs and discuss the situation until they agree your decision is correct.
The hardest rulings are inevitably as a result of failure of being called at the correct time. ALWAYS penalize both sides if this happens.

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-July-16, 15:17

I edited the post to get the indentation you want. I used the list markup: Start a list with [ list=X ], where X is A or a for letter prefixes, 1 for numbered items, or i for Roman numerals. Put [ * ] before each list item, and end it with [ /list ]. Leave out the spaces around the brackets, I did that here so they would be shown instead of treated as markup.

These can be nested to get the outline format.

#4 User is offline   BudH 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Operations Supervisor/Technical Advisor at nuclear power plant, soccer and basketball referee for more than 25 years; GLM; Ex-Head (Game) Director at South Bend (Indiana) Bridge Club; avid student of bridge law and game movements

Posted 2017-July-16, 22:57

View Postweejonnie, on 2017-July-16, 14:31, said:

You may like to look at This PDF

I have a copy of Mr. Portwood's file, and also the one he wrote on procedure changes (mostly for players).

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users