• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Swiss events

#1 User is offline   weejonnie 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, croquet

Posted 2017-July-10, 03:45

I am not sure where this should go - but since it involves Direction, this seems as good a place as anywhere.

When you play swiss teams/ pairs, it seems pretty standard for there to be 7-boards a round (so you play 4 rounds). Is there a good reason for doing so since, unless you share boards between two tables or put 7 boards on each table, you would get a funny 2-board movements.

12: 34: 56: 71: 23: 45: 67 da capo - meaning everyone plays 3 sets of 2 + one out of the last two boards.

As a newbie to running Swiss events, could someone explain the correct way how these boards are handled?
No matter how well you know the laws, there is always something that you'll forget. That is why we have a book.
Get the facts. No matter what people say, get the facts from both sides BEFORE you make a ruling or leave the table.
Remember - just because a TD is called for one possible infraction, it does not mean that there are no others.
In a judgement case - always refer to other TDs and discuss the situation until they agree your decision is correct.
The hardest rulings are inevitably as a result of failure of being called at the correct time. ALWAYS penalize both sides if this happens.

#2 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-July-10, 04:40

I'm not aware of anyone having difficulties with an arrangement of boards as you suggest. People don't necessarily expect to start playing each match from the lowest-numbered board.

#3 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-July-10, 06:33

View Postweejonnie, on 2017-July-10, 03:45, said:

I am not sure where this should go - but since it involves Direction, this seems as good a place as anywhere.

When you play swiss teams/ pairs, it seems pretty standard for there to be 7-boards a round (so you play 4 rounds). Is there a good reason for doing so since, unless you share boards between two tables or put 7 boards on each table, you would get a funny 2-board movements.

12: 34: 56: 71: 23: 45: 67 da capo - meaning everyone plays 3 sets of 2 + one out of the last two boards.

As a newbie to running Swiss events, could someone explain the correct way how these boards are handled?

I'm not at all clear what is being asked here.

7-board rounds may be common in EBU events, for historical masterpoint reasons, but I wouldn't expect them to be used in a single-session event.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#4 User is online   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-July-10, 10:17

Around here, club Swiss Team games are usually 4 rounds of 6 boards, not 7. This is consistent with our pair games usually being 24 boards (8 rounds of 3).

At tournaments it's usually 8 rounds of 7.

#5 User is offline   weejonnie 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, croquet

Posted 2017-July-10, 15:53

As long as no one has a problem with only playing 1 board on the last round then that's fine by me - just wondering if I was missing something.
No matter how well you know the laws, there is always something that you'll forget. That is why we have a book.
Get the facts. No matter what people say, get the facts from both sides BEFORE you make a ruling or leave the table.
Remember - just because a TD is called for one possible infraction, it does not mean that there are no others.
In a judgement case - always refer to other TDs and discuss the situation until they agree your decision is correct.
The hardest rulings are inevitably as a result of failure of being called at the correct time. ALWAYS penalize both sides if this happens.

#6 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-July-10, 20:37

View Postweejonnie, on 2017-July-10, 15:53, said:

As long as no one has a problem with only playing 1 board on the last round then that's fine by me - just wondering if I was missing something.

I wish I understood what you are saying here.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#7 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-July-10, 22:49

Perhaps the answer to the OP's confusion is that the boards move continuously, rather than playing both boards and only then passing them to the next table?

ahydra

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users