Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tournament Scores

#1 User is offline   joker card 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-July-05, 03:07

I consider Bridgebase Online is mecca for bridge players, where the world bridge stars to rookies join and have fun of playing this wonderful game. This site unites all across the globe. The software is fantastic, support is strong, help is instant, all managed by professionals.
I wish to bring up an issue, which many of us agree with. When someone lands up on a table in any Tournament in middle as substitute at 6th or 7th board out of 10, results of previous boards are loaded into his final results. In other words, final outcome includes results of hands that he did not play. This is unfair.
I think this matter being very petty, could not attract attention of the BBO management.
I open this issue for discussion from all angles by BBO players. If some solution is found, I can suggest management for necessary tweak in software.
All are welcome, let us find solutions, if any.

My suggestion is to Average past scores to give a fair chance to newcomer.

#2 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2017-July-05, 03:41

I, for one, agree it sounds unfair - and I am not totally familiar how all tournaments on BBO work, but...if you put yourself down as a substitute to play in these matches you have to abide by the rules governing these matches.

You could say that a similar situation occurs when you and your partner are playing as a third pair on a team of four that is losing. You get called up into the team to replace a pair that has played badly, and you have to take on board the results that happened previously.

The simplest solution without tweaking the software (which might be mighty difficult) seems to me not to agree to play as a substitute. Easier said than done as some tournaments are over-subscribed, but if you are unhappy with being a substitute picking up some other player's 'leftovers' then, just my personal opinion, it's time to stop.

#3 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2017-July-05, 03:59

Well if you look at your hand records those previous hands are not on your file and the system will show your % in hands played if you finish the tournament and complete enough hands.
If it did "count" against you I don't see how it would matter. Sure someone might see the overall tournament results and you with 40% but would anyone care. If they do care they can look up actual hands and see you didn't play all boards.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#4 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-July-05, 04:30

View Postjoker card, on 2017-July-05, 03:07, said:

I consider Bridgebase Online is mecca for bridge players, where the world bridge stars to rookies join and have fun of playing this wonderful game. This site unites all across the globe. The software is fantastic, support is strong, help is instant, all managed by professionals.
I wish to bring up an issue, which many of us agree with. When someone lands up on a table in any Tournament in middle as substitute at 6th or 7th board out of 10, results of previous boards are loaded into his final results. In other words, final outcome includes results of hands that he did not play. This is unfair.
I think this matter being very petty, could not attract attention of the BBO management.
I open this issue for discussion from all angles by BBO players. If some solution is found, I can suggest management for necessary tweak in software.
All are welcome, let us find solutions, if any.

My suggestion is to Average past scores to give a fair chance to newcomer.

The scores are counted only in that tournament leaderboard. However the bad results of a player who bailed will not be listed in your own hand records.

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-July-05, 09:10

I've moved this thread to "Suggestions for the Software". "General Bridge Discussion" should be used for talking about bridge that isn't specific to BBO.

Others have explained that your personal record only includes the boards you played. And when you look up your results in myhands.bridgebase.com, the average will only include those boards. But your score for the tournament as a whole includes all the boards. Remember, bridge is a partnership game, so the tournament score is for the whole partnership, even if the members of the partnership changed due to substitutions (I'm assuming pair games, not individuals). It wouldn't be fair to the partner of the player that you replaced that he loses his good results for those earlier boards (we don't keep separate scores for each player, only the pair).

#6 User is offline   joker card 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-July-05, 14:49

View Postdiana_eva, on 2017-July-05, 04:30, said:

The scores are counted only in that tournament leaderboard. However the bad results of a player who bailed will not be listed in your own hand records.

I wish to expand scope of discussions further.
I think Bridge game is singular in all other games including card games with many special features. It is fun to play this game but postmortem after each hand played gives food for thought. I try to learn where I made mistake, what brilliant play occurred, how could a hand be bid or played better and many more, not as in other games or card games. Whether I play this game with stakes at home or clubs with stakes or a Tournament, final outcome of scores matters more in Bridge. It opens many windows to realize mistakes and store them in memory for future application. They act as source of enlightenment in improving skills. At BBO when you play in Tournaments (as normal or substitute) the target is 'how did I fare in that game I just played'.
I have hosted hundreds of Team Matches and have seen participants and substitutes fighting and pleading to revise results by even 10 match points. Irrespective of change in rank, they wish more an equitable score result.
It was in this context that I was trying to learn views of esteemed players here, to skim my idea and arrive at a more equitable stand on 'Averaging Scores of hands that I did not play'. I hope we discuss with all angles on this.
@diane_eva The respected member of BBO Admin
I totally agree with you but my idea was different. Personal stakes are not involved here, it is equitable results for personal satisfaction, but thank you for suggesting what many players do not know (including me). Once again I thank you diane_eva.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users