BBO Discussion Forums: DBL and Rdbl and 1NT - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

DBL and Rdbl and 1NT

#1 User is offline   polarmatt 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-June-28, 01:19

what does south do here? and why? should south gone 1NT?

#2 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-June-28, 02:01

Pass and be happy the opponents have let you off the hook and you no longer have to declare a doubled contract, and hope to beat 2c. The notrump overcall is supposed to show a good 15 - 18 or so, not a bad 13.

It is dangerous to overcall so light, because your lho knows his partner has an opening hand so it is relatively easy to double you, and now you have to make 1nt or some 2 level contract often on 7 cd fit and minority of points. With stronger hand it is more likely hand belong to your side and better chances for game. With this weak hand and opposite passed partner, you are asking for trouble as you are taking much risk for little reward when you get away with it.

#3 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2017-June-28, 03:56

Welcome to the forum, polarmatt

Stephen Tu's analysis is spot on. I see from your profile that you come from New Zealand where the weak NT (12-14) may be played as an opening bid (with Acol), but that's a completely different scenario to overcalling an opening bid with 1NT.

As Stephen says, as one hand has already shown some values, it is easier for his partner to take punitive action when you overcall, especially when you overcall 1NT.

I won't go into great detail at novice/beginner level with this auction: I presume the double was strictly for penalties; the redouble may have been "I think we can make it partner" not knowing that you have overcalled 'light' (less points than you are supposed to have). The redouble can also mean (at different bridge levels) "Help! I don't like 1NT doubled, can we find a fit at the 2 level?".

The majority of players also insist, though sometimes it is not always practically possible, that if you overcall 1NT you should have a stopper in the opener's suit.

#4 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-28, 19:14

View PostThe_Badger, on 2017-June-28, 03:56, said:

The majority of players also insist, though sometimes it is not always practically possible, that if you overcall 1NT you should have a stopper in the opener's suit.

Well, J9xx is a stop :).

As for what to do next, pass is surely clear. We've already shown more than we have, almost went for 2200, opps rescued us into a suit where we have good defence. Let them try to make it. (Partner expecting a better hand opposite may sometimes penalty-double this - if so, we pass that too, no problem at all)

ahydra

#5 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2017-June-28, 21:25

View Postahydra, on 2017-June-28, 19:14, said:

Well, J9xx is a stop :)

My apologies. I should have clarified. When I said "The majority of players also insist, though sometimes it is not always practically possible, that if you overcall 1NT you should have a stopper in the opener's suit." I was speaking generally about overcalling 1NT.

J9xx is a stop on this hand, as ahydra kindly points out. Though, it is all the more important to potentially have a stopper if the opponents open 1 or 1 as most players now open with at least a 5 card major suit these days.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users