Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Polish light?

#1 User is offline   cwiggins 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2005-April-21, 00:11

The convention card for Chmurski and Puczyfiski from the 2004 European Teams at Malmo says: "Open light. Respond light." See: Chmurski-Puczyfiski WBF Convention Card

1) How light is "light"? The description column says the minimum HCP are 11 for 1, 2M, and 2, which suggests "light" means something about the same as Rule of 20.

2) The cards says 1NT is semi-forcing and 2m is FG, and 1NT is 15-17. With these rules, responder frequently has problems when he holds 10-12 HCP and no fit for the major. As a result, many U.S. pairs play 1NT as 14+-17. Do Chmurski-Puczyfiski do something similar?

3) If you are playing the Polish Club with light openings in matchpoint events, are there any other adjustments that should be made to the Chmurski-Puczyfiski card? E.g. perhaps use standard 2-over-1 bids (11+ HCP, forcing to 2NT) rather than GF 2m bids?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

#2 User is offline   vang 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Linux

Posted 2005-April-21, 01:28

2) The cards says 1NT is semi-forcing and 2m is FG, and 1NT is 15-17. With these rules, responder frequently has problems when he holds 10-12 HCP and no fit for the major. As a result, many U.S. pairs play 1NT as 14+-17. Do Chmurski-Puczyfiski do something similar?

with 10-12 answer semiF 1NT. part will pass only with balanced 11-12.

#3 User is offline   cwiggins 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-April-21, 07:51

vang, on Apr 21 2005, 07:28 AM, said:

with 10-12 answer semiF 1NT. part will pass only with balanced 11-12.

Presumably opener with 13-14 HCP and 5332 bids on by bidding this 3-card minor?

Bidding this way is playable but loses one of the advanatages given for a semi-forcing NT: when opener rebids 2m, the suit is 4+ long, unless opener has 4 spades and 5 hearts.

#4 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2005-April-21, 07:51

If semi-forcing notrump just means that you pass with minimal balanced hands, then you don't need to make serious changes imo. However, if you want to play a true semi-forcing notrump, where any rebid by opener shows either honest distribution or serious extras, then it would probably be wise to always open 1NT when holding 14 points.

Playing 14-16 notrump would gear your system towards opening light, also when playing Polish club. A 1C opening would show either 11-13 balanced, 17+ balanced, 15+ natural or 18+ artificial.. sounds good!
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#5 User is offline   Gerben42 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2005-April-21, 08:19

Yes, you would have to include some strong balanced hands in 2 or 2NT though, not that that is a problem.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#6 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2005-April-22, 07:11

If a rebid over 1N shows honest shape then that is not semi-forcing. That is non forcing NT aka standard. Semi-forcing is a pretty useless term but the different between it and a standard NT is that partner will bid with any hand that would accept a game invite.

#7 User is offline   cwiggins 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2005-April-22, 13:01

Jlall, on Apr 22 2005, 01:11 PM, said:

If a rebid over 1N shows honest shape then that is not semi-forcing. That is non forcing NT aka standard. Semi-forcing is a pretty useless term but the different between it and a standard NT is that partner will bid with any hand that would accept a game invite.

I agree that the difference between a standard 1NT and a semi-forcing NT is what hands are included in the 1NT response. Over 1M, a standard 1NT is limited to 10 HCP. With invitational hands, 11 HCP or so, you make a 2-over-1 or possibly 2NT. But with a semi-forcing NT, which is used with 2/1 GF, the 1NT response must include many invitional hands with 11 HCP (or a bad 12 if you open light).

Having agreed to use a semi-forcing NT, if you also agree to open 1NT when you hold 5M332 and the right HCP range, then you wind up showing "honest shape" after a semi-forcing NT with the one exception I mentioned previously (hands with four spades, five hearts, and a three-card minor; BTW persons bidding a standard 1NT have the same problem).

i.e. With these agreements, I show "honest" shape with my rebid even though I am bidding a semi-forcing NT rather than a standard 1NT.

Presumably it is possible to play a semi-forcing NT without agreeing to open 1NT with 5CM, in which case 2m would still be 3+ long. Personally, I've never played it that way.

My source for this is Bergen ("Better Bidding With Bergen: Volume One Uncontested Auctions" 24):

"We play two-over-one game forcing, so [we] need 1NT forcing to show three-card limit raises, as well as other invitational hands.  However we also open light so being always forced to bid over a 1NT response may be inconvenient.  The solution is to allow opener to pass with a minimum balanced hand.  Therefore, our maximum for a 1NT response is 11 or a bad 12 HCP.  Opener is therefore relatively safe in passing 1NT with 11-13 balanced.  Also, by opening 1NT with 14-16 and not hesitating to open 1NT with a five-card major, we almost never have to rebid in a three-card minor, which is useful information for responder in evaluating his fit for opener's second suit."

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users