Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

upcoming ACBL GCC changes ?

#1 User is offline   Shugart23 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-August-06, 08:22

wife and I have been travelling around for the last 18 months and have been out of the loop (haven't had mail in over a year, so no bridge bulletin)....anyway, I heard rumor that there are going to be changes made to the GCC but I can't find any further details on the rumor. Can someone point me in a direction, or dispel what I heard ? (I have been wanting to play multi-2D and a multi-2NT opening for a long time)

#2 User is online   PrecisionL 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Diamond LM (6700+ MP)
    God
    Family
    Counseling
    Bridge

Posted 2017-August-06, 08:31

Shugart23 said:

1502029337[/url]' post='929664']
wife and I have been travelling around for the last 18 months and have been out of the loop (haven't had mail in over a year, so no bridge bulletin)....anyway, I heard rumor that there are going to be changes made to the GCC but I can't find any further details on the rumor. Can someone point me in a direction, or dispel what I heard ? (I have been wanting to play multi-2D and a multi-2NT opening for a long time)

Search on Bridge Winners for two posts. Multi 2 remains Mid-Chart.
Ultra Relay: see Daniel's web page: https://bridgewithda...19/07/Ultra.pdf
C3: Copious Canape Club is still my favorite system. (Ultra upgraded, PM for notes)

Santa Fe Precision published 8/19. TOP3 published 11/20. Magic experiment (Science Modernized) with Lenzo. 2020: Jan Eric Larsson's Cottontail . 2020. BFUN (Bridge For the UNbalanced) 2021: Weiss Simplified (Canape & Relay). 2022: Canary Modernized, 2023-4: KOK Canape.

#3 User is offline   Shugart23 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-06, 09:42

View PostPrecisionL, on 2017-August-06, 08:31, said:

Search on Bridge Winners for two posts. Multi 2 remains Mid-Chart.

Thanks....I did as you suggest...seems to be a hap-hazard compilation of posts, queries, and answers....Was hoping to find a one-two page summary of whatever is going on......maybe I missed it ?

#4 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-August-06, 10:23

View PostShugart23, on 2017-August-06, 09:42, said:

Thanks....I did as you suggest...seems to be a hap-hazard compilation of posts, queries, and answers....Was hoping to find a one-two page summary of whatever is going on......maybe I missed it ?

http://bridgewinners...osed-revisions/

There is a link to the proposed charts.

http://www.acbl.org/...vention-charts/

Multi-2 will be allowed in regional or national open events with more than 5 boards.

#5 User is offline   Shugart23 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-06, 10:33

View Postjohnu, on 2017-August-06, 10:23, said:

http://bridgewinners...osed-revisions/

There is a link to the proposed charts.

http://www.acbl.org/...vention-charts/

Multi-2 will be allowed in regional or national open events with more than 5 boards.

perfect....thanks.....any idea when final decisions/implementation will occur ?

#6 User is online   PrecisionL 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Diamond LM (6700+ MP)
    God
    Family
    Counseling
    Bridge

Posted 2017-August-06, 10:43

Shugart23 said:

1502037227[/url]' post='929670']
perfect....thanks.....any idea when final decisions/implementation will occur ?

January 2018
Ultra Relay: see Daniel's web page: https://bridgewithda...19/07/Ultra.pdf
C3: Copious Canape Club is still my favorite system. (Ultra upgraded, PM for notes)

Santa Fe Precision published 8/19. TOP3 published 11/20. Magic experiment (Science Modernized) with Lenzo. 2020: Jan Eric Larsson's Cottontail . 2020. BFUN (Bridge For the UNbalanced) 2021: Weiss Simplified (Canape & Relay). 2022: Canary Modernized, 2023-4: KOK Canape.

#7 User is offline   Shugart23 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-06, 11:14

View PostPrecisionL, on 2017-August-06, 10:43, said:

January 2018

so I am just starting to go through it and it will take a bit more time but...three quick questions if you know the answers :

1) Is Multi-2D (and a multi-2NT) going to be allowed on Yellow chart games (regular open Club games)

2)...can one open 1NT with a point count less than 10 ?...In current environment, one can, but conventional responses by partner were disallowed

3) For us canapé players, when I open 1D and partner responds 1S (may only have 3 Spades), this controversy now seems resolved and is allowed.....I guess this is a comment and not a question

#8 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-August-06, 16:37

Where is the rule that allows you to respond 2 to forcing 1NT if you opened 1 with a 4=5=2=2 hand?

The Alert Procedures says that no alert is required for the 2 rebid, so long as partner "expects three or more cardsin the suit", but that's kind of moot of the convention chart doesn't allow the method in the first place.

#9 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2017-August-06, 16:50

View Postbarmar, on 2017-August-06, 16:37, said:

Where is the rule that allows you to respond 2 to forcing 1NT if you opened 1 with a 4=5=2=2 hand?

The Green and White Chart both include the following language under Allowed

All calls starting with opener’s second bid (this applies to both pairs).
Alderaan delenda est

#10 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2017-August-06, 16:54

View PostShugart23, on 2017-August-06, 11:14, said:

so I am just starting to go through it and it will take a bit more time but...three quick questions if you know the answers :

1) Is Multi-2D (and a multi-2NT) going to be allowed on Yellow chart games (regular open Club games)

2)...can one open 1NT with a point count less than 10 ?...In current environment, one can, but conventional responses by partner were disallowed

3) For us canapé players, when I open 1D and partner responds 1S (may only have 3 Spades), this controversy now seems resolved and is allowed.....I guess this is a comment and not a question

1. No
2. No
3. Yes
Alderaan delenda est

#11 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2017-August-06, 19:17

View Posthrothgar, on 2017-August-06, 16:50, said:

And the Red and Yellow Charts are both "everything is allowed unless specifically disallowed".
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#12 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2017-August-06, 19:33

One comment.Clubs are recommended to use Yellow chart, which is basically mid-chart.
So Multi bids likely won't be allowed at club MP games as not enough boards against opponents.
However, they should be allowed in club imp league.
Clubs are I assume still are ok to allow any conventions they want.
Limited club games would use white or green but clubs are also allowed to not use the Yellow chart in any game which would be sad.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#13 User is offline   foobar 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-06, 22:46

View Posthrothgar, on 2017-August-06, 16:50, said:

Don't want to jinx it, but my reading of the Yellow chart seems to allow a certain strong club system with transfer openings (that shall not be named :D):

Disallowed:

"In segments of fewer than 6 boards, an Artificial 1-level opening bid showing length only in a known suit other than the one opened, unless that bid is also Strong and Forcing."

#14 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2017-August-07, 04:51

View Postfoobar, on 2017-August-06, 22:46, said:

Don't want to jinx it, but my reading of the Yellow chart seems to allow a certain strong club system with transfer openings (that shall not be named :D):

Disallowed:

"In segments of fewer than 6 boards, an Artificial 1-level opening bid showing length only in a known suit other than the one opened, unless that bid is also Strong and Forcing."

Yes, HOWEVER, said bids need to show a minimum of 10 HCPs which pretty much makes it pointless to play.

I will note in passing that a Precision 1D opening is subject to the precise same restriction.
Alderaan delenda est

#15 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-August-07, 10:04

There's an example at the end of the convention charts that specifically names a certain strong club system.

This example also mistakenly says "segments of fewer than five boards" (instead of "six boards"); I've reported this error to the committee.

#16 User is offline   jeffford76 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-07, 10:34

View Poststeve2005, on 2017-August-06, 19:33, said:

Limited club games would use white or green but clubs are also allowed to not use the Yellow chart in any game which would be sad.

Note that the ACBL is unlikely to ever tell clubs what they have to allow in their games. Even today if a club wanted to take things off the GCC for their open games they could do so.

#17 User is offline   Shugart23 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-07, 12:07

View Posthrothgar, on 2017-August-07, 04:51, said:

Yes, HOWEVER, said bids need to show a minimum of 10 HCPs which pretty much makes it pointless to play.

I will note in passing that a Precision 1D opening is subject to the precise same restriction.

Can you expand on this ?...My current 1D opening shows 10+ HCP and is either a Diamond-Major Canape OR a single suited Club hand OR a single suited Diamond Hand....Am I in trouble, come 1/18?

#18 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2017-August-07, 12:44

View PostShugart23, on 2017-August-07, 12:07, said:

Can you expand on this ?...My current 1D opening shows 10+ HCP and is either a Diamond-Major Canape OR a single suited Club hand OR a single suited Diamond Hand....Am I in trouble, come 1/18?

The language that permits (many) Precision type 1D opening carries a restriction that the bid promises 10+ HCP.

From the sounds of things, your 1D opening meets this requirement, should you should be fine
Alderaan delenda est

#19 User is offline   Shugart23 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-August-07, 15:42

View Posthrothgar, on 2017-August-07, 12:44, said:

The language that permits (many) Precision type 1D opening carries a restriction that the bid promises 10+ HCP.

From the sounds of things, your 1D opening meets this requirement, should you should be fine

yeah...we used to Open 1D using Rule of 19 or 20 and then it was pointed out we need 10 HCP, so we changed.....thanks

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users