Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

how to play these cards

#1 User is online   Shugart23 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-May-15, 08:29

Dummy has Q,10, 2,3,4.......My hand has Ace,5,6.........Playing No Trump and transportation is not an issue.....How do you play these cards with you on lead (in either hand)....Thanks

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-May-15, 08:53

Shugart23, on 2017-May-15, 08:29, said:

Dummy has Q,10, 2,3,4.......My hand has Ace,5,6.........Playing No Trump and transportation is not an issue.....How do you play these cards with you on lead (in either hand)....Thanks

I play the Ace and then small towards QT432. If they follow small I would play the T.
When the suit breaks 3-2 guessing who has the K and who has the J is a flip coin but when the suit breaks 4-1 KJxx being in front of QTxxx, I can handle the 4-1 split with one loser. If T wins and other opponent shows out, then I play small towards Qxx again.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2017-May-15, 09:00

MrAce, on 2017-May-15, 08:53, said:

I play the Ace and then small towards QT432. If they follow small I would play the T.
When the suit breaks 3-2 guessing who has the K and who has the J is a flip coin but when the suit breaks 4-1 KJxx being in front of QTxxx, I can handle the 4-1 split with one loser. If T wins and other opponent shows out, then I play small towards Qxx again.

This is clearly the right play with no information. But if you have information about the distribution of the suit, or if you need two winners and cannot afford to lost a trick in the suit, a different choice may be right.

For example, if you need two winners and can't afford to lose a trick in the suit, you have two options: Play the Ace and hope for a singleton King in either of the opponents' hands, or lead the Queen planning to run it if not covered, hoping that LHO has a singleton Jack (or RHO fails to cover with the King).

If you need 3 tricks in the suit and cannot afford to lost a trick, you have only one play - Lead the Ace, hoping for a singleton King in RHO's hand.

#4 User is online   Shugart23 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-May-15, 09:08

MrAce, on 2017-May-15, 08:53, said:

Thanks....I played small from my hand at the Q which lost to a doubleton King...then banged down my Ace later (hoping to capture the Jack which didn't work)and ended up losing two of the 5 tricks....your suggestion would have worked better as the cards were laid out for sure...

#5 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2017-May-15, 17:15

Shugart23, on 2017-May-15, 09:08, said:

Thanks....I played small from my hand at the Q which lost to a doubleton King...then banged down my Ace later (hoping to capture the Jack which didn't work)and ended up losing two of the 5 tricks....your suggestion would have worked better as the cards were laid out for sure...

Yes but doubleton J your way better. This is essentially a guess unless you can figure out points or distribution.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users