Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 Level Overcalls 1d/2c (0vercall)

#1 User is offline   tommylee 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-April-25, 14:39

Some time ago in this forum a reader commented that his partnership overcalled 1 diamond with 2 clubs with a hand that in terms of high card strength did not meet did not meet the bridge standard for such call. He said that their standard for the 2 club overcall over 1 diamond was a weak overcall but did not elaborate further. The obvious reason for this concept is that it makes it necessary for responder to start his response at the 2 diamond level or higher. My impression is that this is only with the 1d/2c overcall sequence and nothing was said how this fits in with hands that warrant a traditional 2 club overcall or how it interfaces with a weak jump overcall to 3c. Does anyone have any experience with a system that incorporates this concept?

#2 User is offline   Kungsgeten 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-April-28, 00:20

I do not have experience playing this style, but I do know Sabine Auken writes about 2om over a minor suit opening being a tricky situation for the opponents, so it should be bid often. I could see a few possible ways to play it:

1. Play the 2C overcall as wide ranging, like a one level overcall. A bit awkward but could work, especially if you play Raptor 1NT or perhaps canapé jump overcalls.
2. Play 1NT as a good club overcall. Some people give up the natural 1NT overcall for Raptor, and pass/double with the strong NT hand type. I wouldn't want to do this, but it is an option.
3. Play 3C as a good jump overcall, perhaps 13-16 or similar. With a hand unsuitable for double, 2C or 3C (or two-suited overcalls) you'll just have to pass.
4. Play power doubles, perhaps something similar to The Overcall Structure, where Dbl shows 15+ hcp.
5. Pass with the good club hand and hope to be able to bid later.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users