BBO Discussion Forums: 3 = 1 and 6 = 11 - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 = 1 and 6 = 11 Isn't there any better bid?

#1 User is offline   m1cha 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-March-30, 15:33

1 - 1NT -
3 - 3 ...
I thought my hand was worth a jump rebid . My GIB partner surprised me with a 3 bid claiming '3 ; 11 - 12 total points; forcing', and I start dreaming about a slam for a little while. Yet I sign off in 4 which is a good thing because I go down only 4 while in a slam I may have gone down 6. How comes? Because I'm playing against a 6-1 trump split! How can I play against a 6-1 trump split if I have 8 trumps on my axis? Well, it turns out partner has only 1 trump, not 3 as promised! And as the summit of impertinence, it uses its trump J singleton as a feature to upgrade its hand from 6 HCP to 11 total points. Isn't this a good one?

Okay I may have made a trick or two more but I never play well when GIB lets me down like this.

In an attempt to answer my own question from the topic description, 'Isn't there any better bid?', the following alternatives were available:
4: '6+ ; 2- ; 2- ; 8+ HCP; 12- total points'.
4: '4+ ; 2- ; 7+ HCP; 12- total points'.
GIB couldn't bid any of these because it was lacking an HCP or two. (This is not a joke. Well, not primarily.)

On a side note, pass is forcing to 3NT in this situation. This is what the label says: 'No suitable call -- 3- ; 6+ HCP; 12- total points; forcing to 3N'. :)

#2 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-March-30, 15:55

Apparently GIB "forgot" that 3 is not bid with a jump which would show the 3 card limit raise. I thought that GIB was supposed to jump to 4 to show the limit raise hand IIRC, but my memory may be wrong.

#3 User is offline   m1cha 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-March-30, 20:02

View Postjohnu, on 2017-March-30, 15:55, said:

Apparently GIB "forgot" that 3 is not bid with a jump which would show the 3 card limit raise. I thought that GIB was supposed to jump to 4 to show the limit raise hand IIRC, but my memory may be wrong.

I just checked that. The jump to 4 is '3 ; 6+ HCP; 10- total points'. Apparently it means those hands that are too weak to raise 1 to 2. Since 3 is FG, this corresponds to the principle of fast arrival, so that with the limit raise you bid 3 to give opener the option to cue bid before deciding if you ask for keycards.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users