• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Slam missed claimed 13 tricks after trick 1

#1 User is offline   m1cha 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-February-21, 17:21

1 - 1NT - 4 - pass

When I say, "Partner, even if you have a minimum, we can make a full game", and partner has two additional kings plus unexpectedly strong trump support, isn't hat worth a raise to 6 or at least some kind of slam investigation?

#2 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-February-21, 22:30

Exhibit #3459 on why bundling the 3 card limit raiser into 1NT is bad.

I have a lot more sympathy for N than you seem to though. Wouldn't you bid the same way if Q was the 2?

Really your partner has a really bad hand for slam. No shortness, no aces, only one sure outside trick at all, and a long suit that may well be a liability.

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-22, 07:49

View PostTylerE, on 2017-February-21, 22:30, said:

It is only a good exhibit if bidding on by North over 4S is less than obvious. I note that you think that it is, but I am with the OP. Punting straight to slam may be a bit excessive. Personally I think the slam is likely to be odds on if you are in the punting mood, but you may be able to improve your evaluation by taking it slowly. Not convinced, but possible.

I have a lot more sympathy for N than you seem to though. Wouldn't you bid the same way if Q was the 2?
And yet 6S still makes, unless you are VERY unlucky.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#4 User is offline   m1cha 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-February-22, 21:32

That's an interesting point but what, please, is "exhibit #3459"?

I have recently experimented a little with opening weak hands (11 HCP, sometimes 10) and it seems to work well but could work better if I'd pass the 1NT bid because most accidents happen when GIB raises my 2-in-a-suit rebid to 2NT or higher. It would also help with this specific problem: 11 + 12 = 26. Other people just seem to be thinking in the same direction: When can you pass a forcing NT?

Do you think bundling the 3 card limit raiser with a Bergen raise could be better than bundling it with 1NT? Alternatively one might play 1 - 2 or 1 - 3 as a limit raise in opener's suit. My current preference for these bids is preemptive but that can be changed.

#5 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-23, 14:58

View Postm1cha, on 2017-February-22, 21:32, said:

That's an interesting point but what, please, is "exhibit #3459"?

I have recently experimented a little with opening weak hands (11 HCP, sometimes 10) and it seems to work well but could work better if I'd pass the 1NT bid because most accidents happen when GIB raises my 2-in-a-suit rebid to 2NT or higher. It would also help with this specific problem: 11 + 12 = 26. Other people just seem to be thinking in the same direction: When can you pass a forcing NT?

Do you think bundling the 3 card limit raiser with a Bergen raise could be better than bundling it with 1NT? Alternatively one might play 1 - 2 or 1 - 3 as a limit raise in opener's suit. My current preference for these bids is preemptive but that can be changed.

I am pretty sure that "exhibit #3459" is a joking comment indicating he has seen the problem many times before.

Since you mention Bergen, I'll tell you what he recommends - Pass a forcing 1NT response with a minimum balanced hand that would pass the delayed limit raise. I have been playing this way for years, and while nothing works 100% of the time, I am way ahead of the game. Bergen further recommends that the jump shift to the other major shows any splinter raise. First step asks, show up the line. This leaves immediate 4C and 4D calls open, which he uses as: 4C - Balanced 3 card raise, stronger than 3NT (say 16-18) and 4D - Stronger preemptive game raise. Immediate 4M raise weaker. Jumps to 4 of the other major are preemptive, natural, to play.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users