• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Chat with partner

#1 User is offline   euclidz 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-January-19, 13:55

Mentioning no names I 'formed a view' some time back on a certain player. One of the many issues that caused me to wonder about this person is that he/she is clearly communicating with his/her partner - I see the partners replies but I do not see his/her comments. At a point in time I asked his/her partner about this and somewhat bemused he thought I was accusing them of cheating making this comment in chat to this person that I had made contact and asked the question and thus in doing so confirmed that they had been communicating whilst they were partners. But . . . how is this possible as I know that chatting with your partner is precluded as a feature of the software. It is not possible to do this (chat with partner) but this person is able to do this - how?

#2 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2017-January-19, 14:18

I've read this ten times and I'm still not sure what you're trying to say. Anyway allegations of cheating need to go to the abuse email, not on the forums
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#3 User is offline   euclidz 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-19, 14:42

What am I trying to say . . . .

I know that 'chatting' with one's partner is precluded as a feature of the software and yet I know that someone is doing this i.e. I know it is not possible and I know it is happening. How is it happening?

If this person is somehow circumventing the software are the moderators (if there are any moderators) able to identify it as happening and stop it?

#4 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-January-19, 15:08

View Posteuclidz, on 2017-January-19, 14:42, said:

What am I trying to say . . . .

I know that 'chatting' with one's partner is precluded as a feature of the software and yet I know that someone is doing this i.e. I know it is not possible and I know it is happening. How is it happening?

If this person is somehow circumventing the software are the moderators (if there are any moderators) able to identify it as happening and stop it?

They can chat on skype, or facebook, or some other way outside of BBO.

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-19, 15:47

View Postdiana_eva, on 2017-January-19, 15:08, said:

They can chat on skype, or facebook, or some other way outside of BBO.

But wouldn't you expect the partner to reply in that other medium, not in BBO chat?

#6 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2017-January-19, 15:49

View Posteuclidz, on 2017-January-19, 13:55, said:

Mentioning no names I 'formed a view' some time back on a certain player. One of the many issues that caused me to wonder about this person is that he/she is clearly communicating with his/her partner - I see the partners replies but I do not see his/her comments.

Was this in a tourney after the last board of the round? Players are allowed to send private chat to partner when there's no hand being played. And it's not uncommon for the partner to forget to reply privately.

BTW, I moved this from General Bridge Discussion to General BBO Discussion, since it's very specific to BBO.

#7 User is offline   euclidz 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-19, 16:42

View Postbarmar, on 2017-January-19, 15:49, said:

Was this in a tourney after the last board of the round? .

No. . . . this is in ordinary casual play and during play.

#8 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-20, 08:13

Perhaps he was chatting with a kibitzer?

And yeah, that is one heck of a run on sentence in the OP.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#9 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-20, 08:32

I thought there was something about the host being able to chat privately to anyone at the table, including partner.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#10 User is offline   euclidz 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-20, 12:45

View Postbarmar, on 2017-January-19, 15:49, said:

Was this in a tourney after the last board of the round? Players are allowed to send private chat to partner when there's no hand being played. And it's not uncommon for the partner to forget to reply privately.

BTW, I moved this from General Bridge Discussion to General BBO Discussion, since it's very specific to BBO.

Not at a Tournament, just ordinary regular casual play and the chat was/is before during and after playing the hand.

#11 User is offline   euclidz 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-20, 12:47

View Postbillw55, on 2017-January-20, 08:13, said:

Perhaps he was chatting with a kibitzer?

No. The chatting is with partner and ONLY the partner sees the chat and all others see is the partners reply to whatever has been typed.

#12 User is offline   euclidz 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-20, 12:58

When I started this post I presumed that there was either a setting that could be set or altered to enable that feature or some other reason / feature / setting. It's really not important it was just a matter of my curiosity as to how this person had made it happen.

#13 User is offline   euclidz 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-20, 12:59

View PostVampyr, on 2017-January-20, 08:32, said:

I thought there was something about the host being able to chat privately to anyone at the table, including partner.

Oh, OK then that maybe the answer.

#14 User is offline   euclidz 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-20, 15:25

View PostVampyr, on 2017-January-20, 08:32, said:

Nope . . . . just tried that as host and couldn't do it

#15 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2017-January-20, 15:30

The only other exception I can think of is that yellows are allowed to private chat to anyone.

#16 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-22, 03:43

I suppose, the numerous ways and means of cheating on BBO - some of them already described in this thread and others :blink: - are already so manifold, that drawing attention to yet another way hardly makes any difference!

I don't know what the rules are about private chatting to partner: not that I'd want to, normally (the only legitimate reason I can think of, is if we have an obstreperous opponent. Luckily that doesn't happen very often!)

Is cheating more prevalent on BBO than on live bridge? I think it probably is. I don't have experience of high-level live bridge, what with screens and all, I guess that, although cheats will always find a way, it gets quite difficult!

On BBO, best to live with it. Report it if you think you have solid evidence. Else just walk away.....

#17 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2017-January-22, 22:04

View Post661_Pete, on 2017-January-22, 03:43, said:

don't know what the rules are about private chatting to partner

The rule is that it's not normally allowed while a hand is being bid or played.

#18 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-23, 05:55

View Postbarmar, on 2017-January-22, 22:04, said:

The rule is that it's not normally allowed while a hand is being bid or played.

I suppose that means 'all the time' as far as casual play rooms are concerned, if all four seats are occupied. Because as soon as the last trick has been played (or a claim accepted), the next hand is immediately dealt and bidding is therefore under way.

#19 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2017-January-23, 09:20

View Post661_Pete, on 2017-January-23, 05:55, said:

I suppose that means 'all the time' as far as casual play rooms are concerned, if all four seats are occupied. Because as soon as the last trick has been played (or a claim accepted), the next hand is immediately dealt and bidding is therefore under way.

Right. But if someone leaves during a hand and isn't replaced, I think you can chat privately after the hand is over.

#20 User is offline   ruby007 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-February-17, 14:44

View Posteuclidz, on 2017-January-19, 13:55, said:

(...)he/she is clearly communicating with his/her partner - I see the partners replies but I do not see his/her comments. (...) It is not possible to do this (chat with partner) but this person is able to do this - how?

One possibility is you have flagged that person as ennemy ? She chat normally "loud" to all but you don't see any of her comments.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users