BBO Discussion Forums: Another hesitation at the club - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Another hesitation at the club EBU

Poll: Another hesitation at the club (24 member(s) have cast votes)

What would you lead?

1. A spade (12 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. A heart (12 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

3. A diamond (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. A club (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

What else would you consider leading?

1. A spade (10 votes [29.41%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 29.41%

2. A heart (8 votes [23.53%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.53%

3. A diamond (10 votes [29.41%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 29.41%

4. A club (6 votes [17.65%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.65%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   sanst 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-January-22, 17:03

The hesitation makes clear that South is considering to call, but it's not obvious for N what. But their agreements make it impossible for S to bid a minor at the 2-level, which makes it more probable that S has a minor suit than 2 minors or majors, or a major and a minor or a major. Without that knowledge N would probably start with either spades or diamonds, unless he's one of ggwhiz's locals, so a club start could be suggested by the UI. I just forget about the 'demonstrably', bcause I've no idea how that demonstration works.
Joost

#22 User is offline   VixTD 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-January-23, 07:31

View Postsanst, on 2017-January-22, 17:03, said:

The hesitation makes clear that South is considering to call, but it's not obvious for N what. But their agreements make it impossible for S to bid a minor at the 2-level, which makes it more probable that S has a minor suit than 2 minors or majors, or a major and a minor or a major. Without that knowledge N would probably start with either spades or diamonds, unless he's one of ggwhiz's locals, so a club start could be suggested by the UI. I just forget about the 'demonstrably', bcause I've no idea how that demonstration works.

West wrote me a long letter explaining why South must have a heart suit, because any hand that was considering bidding a minor at the three level would have opened with a pre-empt.

We decided that nothing could have been demonstrably suggested over anything else by the hesitation, so we let the result stand.

#23 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-January-23, 10:43

View PostVixTD, on 2017-January-23, 07:31, said:

West wrote me a long letter explaining why South must have a heart suit, because any hand that was considering bidding a minor at the three level would have opened with a pre-empt.

We decided that nothing could have been demonstrably suggested over anything else by the hesitation, so we let the result stand.

I agree with this, he might also have been trying to work out what hand could meet his agreement on a double :)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users