Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New suit over 3[clubs]

#1 User is offline   m1cha 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-December-11, 21:17

Today's nuisance hand #3, and this one I find quite unbelievable.
From the Free Daily (MP):

I open 1 in 4th hand, LHO overcalls 1, GIB overcalls 2 with 11 HCP, no ace, 3 quacks in a 3244 distribution, so far fine.
RHO double promising weak support. I bid 3 showing a minimum hand, more precisely "3+; 11+ HCP; 12-13 total points". This should be it because where could we want to go?

Then partner bids 3!

I'm stunned. Why am I bidding minimum if partner, also with minimum, still goes on? And what kind of bid is that in an obviously useless suit. If I had a stop, I could have shown it before. If partner had a stop, it could bid 3NT. But this here is forcing us to the 4 level knowing we cannot make it.

Anyway, 3NT is down. 4 is down. I just passed 3 knowing that I am playing in an inferior fit. As it happens 3 can make if played carefully with just a little luck but I wasn't in a mood of playing carefully then and went down 2.

#2 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-December-12, 05:54

#3 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-13, 00:20

You dismiss 3NT but on the NS hands 3NT by North has great chances. And if north had the same hand with 5 clubs it would be a great spot!

Obviously 3D isn't the best way to get there - I would prefer to show the hand as invitational in NT.

#4 User is offline   m1cha 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-13, 07:08

View PostWesleyC, on 2016-December-13, 00:20, said:

You dismiss 3NT but on the NS hands 3NT by North has great chances. And if north had the same hand with 5 clubs it would be a great spot!

Obviously 3D isn't the best way to get there - I would prefer to show the hand as invitational in NT.

That would help. Because with Qxx in front of the suit bit, I don't have what looks like a stop. Okay I might bid 3 to ask for a stop it that is what GIB assigns to the bid, and see what happens ...

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users