BBO Discussion Forums: Ruling - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ruling Sequal to "What does the pauses, demonstrably, suggest.

#1 User is offline   OleBerg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Model-Railways.

Posted 2016-December-06, 04:21

Any input or advise is appriciated.

Pass - (Pass) - 1 - (Pass)
41 - (Pass) - 4 - (X)
Pass2 - (Pas) - 5

1 = Long pause
2 = Short pause, but noticeable

Pulling to 5 was "correct" the 4-bid contained a good 7-card-suit and no spade-support.

As suggested in the other thread, we are indeed in a context where 4 could have been meant as natural. But the 4-bidder is known to be very "imaginative", so even if it seems far-fetched, he could maybe have been thinking about something else.

Edit, in reply to gordontd's post below: In the relevant jurisdiction any meaning of 4 is alertable, either because it is surprising (natural) or because it is artificial. For the sake of discussion, assume the 5-bidder claims that the double convinced him 4 were meant as natural.

So, what is the ruling?

Do not underestimate the power of the dark side. Or the ninth trumph.

Best Regards Ole Berg

We should always assume 2/1 unless otherwise stated, because:

- If the original poster didn't bother to state his system, that means that he thinks it's obvious what he's playing. The only people who think this are 2/1 players.

Gnasher

#2 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-06, 04:50

I think we need to know more and to see the hands. Was 4H alerted? What meanings of 4H (if any) would have been alertable in the relevant jurisdiction? Was the 4S bidder asked why he bid 5H?
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#3 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-06, 08:19

Adjust back to 4X, pass must be a LA. Why play in a potential 3-0 heart fit when you could be in a 5-4 spade fit with a 4-0 break. If opener has more than 5 spades so the doubler can't have a massive spade holding having also not doubled 1, I might rethink.

#4 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-06, 08:46

Yup. I tend towards rolling it back to 4x but need to see the east hand to be sure.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#5 User is offline   OleBerg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-06, 10:08

View PostCyberyeti, on 2016-December-06, 08:19, said:

Adjust back to 4X, pass must be a LA. Why play in a potential 3-0 heart fit when you could be in a 5-4 spade fit with a 4-0 break. If opener has more than 5 spades so the doubler can't have a massive spade holding having also not doubled 1, I might rethink.

Obviously pass is a logical alternative. It might even be disputeable whether 5 is a logical alternative. But that in itself doesn't make 5 illegal. For 5 to be illegal, the UI has to demonstrably suggest 5. (In the relevant jurisdiction for certain, but I would expect it to be the case everywhere.)

Edit: Like noted below, you can take my word that pass is a logical alternative.

Best Regards Ole Berg

- If the original poster didn't bother to state his system, that means that he thinks it's obvious what he's playing. The only people who think this are 2/1 players.

Gnasher

#6 User is offline   OleBerg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-06, 10:10

View Postggwhiz, on 2016-December-06, 08:46, said:

Yup. I tend towards rolling it back to 4x but need to see the east hand to be sure.

Mostly out of curiosity: If you take my word for it, that pass is a logical alternative, would you still need to see the hand?

Best Regards Ole Berg

Gnasher

#7 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-06, 12:07

View PostOleBerg, on 2016-December-06, 10:10, said:

Mostly out of curiosity: If you take my word for it, that pass is a logical alternative, would you still need to see the hand?

No because I'm not making a ruling, just giving on opinion with an "unless" attached
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#8 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-06, 12:41

View PostOleBerg, on 2016-December-06, 10:08, said:

Obviously pass is a logical alternative. It might even be disputeable whether 5 is a logical alternative. But that in itself doesn't make 5 illegal. For 5 to be illegal, the UI has to demonstrably suggest 5. (In the relevant jurisdiction for certain, but I would expect it to be the case everywhere.)

Edit: Like noted below, you can take my word that pass is a logical alternative.

The UI clearly indicates that pass (which I would do with 95%+ of hands) might not be right. I would assumne absent the UI that partner has something like a 10 count with 4 spades and one heart. The only bid I would ever make would be with a big hand where I might redouble. 5 is a non bid absent the UI, and only exists with it.

Opener made his decision on the last round, either partner has hearts or he doesn't, if he didn't know, he effectively said he was backing the splinter when he bid 4. The only hand I'd allow him to bid 5 on would be if he had enough spades to guarantee that a hand that couldn't bid/X over 1 couldn't make a pen X of 4, AJ9xxxx, KQx, Kx, x is an obvious 5.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users