Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

An Extra Chance Sensible Slam

#1 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-December-15, 06:07

Contract 6NT by South (rotated for convenience). Lead J. IMPs converted into VPS on simple scale.

East plays the two on the first round, normal count in theory. How would you play?
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#2 User is offline   zenbiddist 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-December-15, 07:13

View Postlamford, on 2016-December-15, 06:07, said:

Contract 6NT by South (rotated for convenience). Lead J. IMPs converted into VPS on simple scale.

East plays the two on the first round, normal count in theory. How would you play?

I suppose it comes down to the sequence I test suits, presuming lefty will put a club through prematurely.

If I cash a top spade, then cross to DK to hook a spade, lefty might play a club out, and I have to commit. Losing a premature club hook would feel stupid when diamonds are three three, or queen-doubleton spade was dropping.

If instead I cash two top spades and then try for three three diamonds, then pump a third spade (presuming no luck), I feel silly when rightly has queen-third spade, queen-fourth diamond and the club hook was working.

I'm no good at figuring out odds. The second line feels better but my instincts are young. Any help someone? Did I miss something?

#3 User is offline   wanoff 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-December-15, 07:29

Unblock the top heart and play 3 rounds of spades. If west wins this and returns a club, you win and need a diamond break or squeeze.
If East wins, it's a diamond break or squeeze/club finesse.

#4 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-December-15, 21:08

I win and put the Q on the table. If it loses, I have 2 entries. I can try for 3-3 diamonds and then a spade to the 10 (of course I cashed a high spade early.)

If the Q gets covered, I promote spades.

If the Q wins, I promote spades. Of course I unblock hearts first.

I think I make when the club king is onside or holds up once, and gave the best shot when the club king wins a fast trick for the defense.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users