• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ACOL 5NT opening bid Ever heard of it?

#1 User is offline   MinorKid 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Physics<br>Play pool<br><br>Studying Precision System

Posted 2016-November-03, 01:05

Opener shows a two suiter (preferably both minors) just one Ace or King, in one of the long suit, short of a grand slam on its own. Responder bid the 6 of the cheapest suit that he does not hold an ace or king. Opener may pass if it hits, or to bid the suit that he really concerns. Responder than raise to a grand if he has it.

For example, opener has AKQT65 AQJT532,
Opener open 5NT. If responder has no king of clubs, he response 6, in which opener passes. If he has the king, and no diamond ace or king, he bid 6 in which opener bids 7 knowing the responder has the club keycard. Responder may convert to 7.

Another example, opener has AQJT532 AKQT65,
Opener open 5NT. Responder, having no club A or K, bid 6. Rebid of 6 ask for ace or king of diamonds and be replied 7/7 if responder has one.

I am wondering whether it works for all suits as well.

#2 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-November-03, 01:21

I play it as only the minors. With unknown suits and unknown voids it is impossible for responder to know what to do.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#3 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2016-November-03, 01:56

View PostMinorKid, on 2016-November-03, 01:05, said:

Opener shows a two suiter (preferably both minors) just one Ace or King, in one of the long suit, short of a grand slam on its own. Responder bid the 6 of the cheapest suit that he does not hold an ace or king. Opener may pass if it hits, or to bid the suit that he really concerns. Responder than raise to a grand if he has it.
For example, opener has AQJT532 AKQT65,
Opener open 5NT.

View PostVampyr, on 2016-November-03, 01:21, said:

I play it as only the minors. With unknown suits and unknown voids it is impossible for responder to know what to do.
Minorkid's Acol 5N seems to work most of the time. For example, when opener's 2 suits are...
  • Minor. And responder has either Key.
  • Round. Ditto,
  • Black. Ditto.
  • Red: And responder has Key.
  • Major: And responder has Key.
Furthermore, you can probably organise conventional continuations so that responder can show grand-preference. The drawback is frequency.

#4 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-03, 02:02

responder signs off in his prefered minor if he doesn't have a minor suit top honour . if he does have one, we are already in grand. so there is no room for further investigation.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#5 User is offline   MinorKid 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-03, 03:00

I suddenly think out to the blue there is one more drawback. Sometimes responder cannot pick among the two after opener sign off. A 7-6, 6-6 Patten is acceptable while it's a bit tricky with 6-5.

#6 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-November-03, 03:02

You do not need it for a major in Acol as the traditional meaning for a 5M opening is similar but focusing on that suit. The way the opening is constructed appears to be catering primarily to the minor suit 1-suiter that is not covered by this scheme (as 5m is preemptive). The major issue with the 2-suiters appears to be that we will often play in the wrong suit as no type of preference is given along the way. Helene's version addresses this but will not work for hands with a loser in both suits, nor with the one-suited hands.
(-: Zel :-)

#7 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-November-03, 03:12

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-November-03, 03:02, said:

You do not need it for a major in Acol as the traditional meaning for a 5M opening is similar but focusing on that suit. The way the opening is constructed appears to be catering primarily to the minor suit 1-suiter that is not covered by this scheme (as 5m is preemptive). The major issue with the 2-suiters appears to be that we will often play in the wrong suit as no type of preference is given along the way. Helene's version addresses this but will not work for hands with a loser in both suits, nor with the one-suited hands.

You cannot play this with a loser in both suits, nor with 6-5 as mentioned above. 6-6 is OK if the stiff is an ace. You do not want to open with a slam force with more than one loser, do you?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#8 User is offline   MinorKid 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-03, 03:18

View PostVampyr, on 2016-November-03, 01:21, said:

There is an advantage to play only in minors so that responder have 6, 6, 7 and 7 as available choices to play. The draw back is frequency.
There is an advantage to play 6 of a bid suit indicates no key card in the suit, allowing opener to explore. The drawback is that the partnership may play in 6 of a suit responder dosen't have a fit. (Say 6-1)

#9 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-November-03, 03:50

View PostMinorKid, on 2016-November-03, 03:18, said:

There is an advantage to play only in minors so that responder have 6, 6, 7 and 7 as available choices to play. The draw back is frequency.
There is an advantage to play 6 of a bid suit indicates no key card in the suit, allowing opener to explore. The drawback is that the partnership may play in 6 of a suit responder dosen't have a fit. (Say 6-1)

This is not a big problem because the suit will be solid (or solid minus A or K.

#10 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-November-03, 04:27

View PostVampyr, on 2016-November-03, 03:12, said:

You cannot play this with a loser in both suits, nor with 6-5 as mentioned above. 6-6 is OK if the stiff is an ace. You do not want to open with a slam force with more than one loser, do you?

Yeah, I was being dumb and mixing it up with the 5M thought. Personally, if I considered these hands worth assigning an opening to, I think I would consider going over to a MisIry-style method or even just assigning 3 or 4NT after a strong 2m opening to be such a two-suiter. It strikes me more as a solution waiting for a problem than the other way about.
(-: Zel :-)

#11 User is offline   MinorKid 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-03, 19:37

In case you are wondering, My system often happen to have to play in 6 of the problem suit, which means that opponent may lead our second suit, then take a ruff after we lost a trump A (or K). Quite often we get a bottom score. So I can see Vampyr's point.
Of course on the 7 level this problem dose not exist.

On the other hand, there are several ways to show any of such kind of two suiter X, Y. X has a higher rank than Y
1X - any - 6Y
1X - any - 3Y - any - 6Y
1X - any - 3Y - any - 4Y* - any - 6Y * Y must be a minor

2 - 2 - 3X - any - 6Y
2 - 2 - 3X - any - 4Y* - any - 6Y * Y must be a minor

In addition to play strong two , ACOL:
2X - any - 6Y
2X - any - 3Y - any - 6Y
2X - any - 3Y - any - 4Y* - any 6Y * Y must be a minor

which make me wonder why we need a system so specified to one and only one missing keycard. :unsure:

#12 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-November-04, 05:08

View PostMinorKid, on 2016-November-03, 19:37, said:

.....which make me wonder why we need a system so specified to one and only one missing keycard. :unsure:

Playing Acol Twos to cater to a very rare hand type is not winning bridge. And as for missing only one keycard, well, you could assign some other meaning to a 5NT opening, but what would it mean?

#13 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2016-November-04, 06:13

Guess I shall never ever get a hand which I shall open 5 NT.

#14 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-04, 08:31

View Postmsjennifer, on 2016-November-04, 06:13, said:

Guess I shall never ever get a hand which I shall open 5 NT.
I held one once as a novice but had to overcall. I just overcalled slam in the suit missing the king. My sweetie held my cards at another table and bid the Unusual Notrump and raised the response to slam.

#15 User is offline   MinorKid 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-04, 19:00

Kaitlyn, IMO 5NT works as well in an overcall, probably better than as an opening.

#16 User is offline   MinorKid 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-04, 19:03

View PostVampyr, on 2016-November-04, 05:08, said:

Playing Acol Twos to cater to a very rare hand type is not winning bridge. And as for missing only one keycard, well, you could assign some other meaning to a 5NT opening, but what would it mean?

It would be a specified or semi-specified two suiter capable at least 50% chance of small slam.

On the other hand, all example below may show two suiter ranging from 50% small slam to a likely grand slam. Responder should bid the grand if he thinks he has all the right cards.
For example,
1X - any - 6Y (50% small slam, e.g. missing one ace and one king of different suit)
1X - any - 3Y - any - 6Y (75% small slam, 25% grand slam on its own, e.g. both suit missing kings)
1X - any - 3Y - any - 4Y* - any - 6Y * Y must be a minor (75% small slam, 25% grand slam on its own, both suits missing some quarks)

2 - 2 - 3X - any - 6Y (small slam is certain, 50% grand slam on its own, e.g. missing one keycard)
2 - 2 - 3X - any - 4Y* - any - 6Y * Y must be a minor (small slam is certain, >50% grand slam on its own, one suit missing some quarks)

2X - any - 6Y
2X - any - 3Y - any - 6Y
2X - any - 3Y - any - 4Y* - any - 6Y * Y must be a minor (may provide specified details)

Note that opener skipping Blackwood, Exclusion Blackwood and Control cue bids that would mean the hole should be the long suits themselves. Through the some gambling may be involved by the opener style.

#17 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2016-November-04, 22:26

Once I got a hand,AKQxxx,void,void,AKxxxxx, RHO ,Red,opened 1D and I not knowing what to do ( I was 16 then in 2008) overcalled 1S. LHO 2H,Pass,RHO 4 NT. I paused naturally.I then thought what according to me was a common sense bid and bid 5NT.I imagined,this will show S and C.LHO doubled, Pass pass,and to wake up partner I redoubled.All Pass. Minus 4600. On top of this my partner ,aged 58,told me never to make such silly bids.!

#18 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-November-05, 09:08

View Postmsjennifer, on 2016-November-04, 22:26, said:

Once I got a hand,AKQxxx,void,void,AKxxxxx, RHO ,Red,opened 1D and I not knowing what to do ( I was 16 then in 2008) overcalled 1S. LHO 2H,Pass,RHO 4 NT. I paused naturally.I then thought what according to me was a common sense bid and bid 5NT.I imagined,this will show S and C.LHO doubled, Pass pass,and to wake up partner I redoubled.All Pass. Minus 4600. On top of this my partner ,aged 58,told me never to make such silly bids.!

Were you too polite to point out that partner's final pass was silly too?

#19 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-05, 10:42

I had a similar experience in my youth. 3D P P to me and I held something resembling AKJ9xx, AKJTxx, -, A.

I bid 4D, my partner bid 5C, I bid 5D hoping that partner would get the message to bid a major. Partner bid 5NT. (His diamonds were xxxx.) One more time, and I got to play 6D. "I thought they psyched" was his excuse.

I was 16 then in 2008
With the leches in the bridge community, I'l bet you were (and still are) extremely popular among older male players.

#20 User is offline   MinorKid 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-09, 02:40

IMO 5NT work better as an overcall than as an opening, namely the Condensed Unusual No Trump

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users