BBO Discussion Forums: Windows client retirement feedback thread - BBO Discussion Forums

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Windows client retirement feedback thread

#101 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-November-10, 02:49

View Postscarletv, on 2016-November-10, 01:30, said:

Last but not least get rid of that completely unnecessary noise when cards are played. I want to have sound to catch my attention when needed and not to be spammed.

It's an option that can be switched off.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#102 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-10, 04:27

But if you switch it off, how then do you get it to play a sound "to catch my attention when needed"?
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#103 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-10, 05:39

View Post1eyedjack, on 2016-November-10, 04:27, said:

But if you switch it off, how then do you get it to play a sound "to catch my attention when needed"?

Just pay attention :)
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#104 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2016-November-10, 07:45

View Postgordontd, on 2016-November-10, 05:39, said:

Just pay attention :)

Seriously, there is a demand, judging by its repeated request, for more customisable sound settings, such as to switch off the swish of the cards but retain the reminder that it is your turn to do something. Doesn't bother me particularly, but I see it requested often enough.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#105 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2016-November-10, 12:16

I guarantee that no matter how many pixels you have, vertical space is at a premium. I have a 1400x900 screen on my laptop, but it's still an 11-inch diagonal computer, so the vertical space is about 9 inches. With the window title, then the browser menu bar, then the tab bar, then the status line on the bottom, probably takes one of those inches; and you need to display a table and a chat box, cards, board, bidding, and text all visible and readable to my ageing eyes. (Oh, and my eyes are still a lot better than most ageing eyes).

Spoiler

Sure, if you have the 28" widescreen monitor, and you're going fullscreen on it (or the 60" TV that we watch vugraph on), there's a bit more display space.

One thing I'd love to have (besides the option to have no-sound, all-sound, and all-sounds-but-card-swish), is the ability for the "table" to fit the space it is given, rather than being fixed to its aspect ratio. Especially on a widescreen monitor, even with the scorecard on the right, I get the choice between 4 lines of chat and a bunch of wasted space behind E-W scrunching up the table display.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#106 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-10, 14:10

View Postmycroft, on 2016-November-10, 12:16, said:

I guarantee that no matter how many pixels you have, vertical space is at a premium. I have a 1400x900 screen on my laptop, but it's still an 11-inch diagonal computer, so the vertical space is about 9 inches. With the window title, then the browser menu bar, then the tab bar, then the status line on the bottom, probably takes one of those inches; and you need to display a table and a chat box, cards, board, bidding, and text all visible and readable to my ageing eyes. (Oh, and my eyes are still a lot better than most ageing eyes).

One option would be to have a full screen option where only the BBO window shows on the screen. The obvious problem is that you have to escape out of full screen mode to do other Windows things. Another option is eye surgery :P I see better now than I did as as a kid.

#107 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2016-November-10, 15:08

heh. Did you notice my spoiler? As I said, I'm commenting on what BBO needs to deal with for most of its audience, not the ones who have been building their computers from the pieces up since 1990...
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#108 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-10, 16:46

You can move the windows task bar to the left or right sides which will give you a little vertical space.

#109 User is offline   onoway 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-10, 16:57

View Postmycroft, on 2016-November-10, 15:08, said:

heh. Did you notice my spoiler? As I said, I'm commenting on what BBO needs to deal with for most of its audience, not the ones who have been building their computers from the pieces up since 1990...

I would like to up vote this comment about 500 times!!!

One of the main talking points to get people to come to BBO in the first place for friends reluctant to venture into online bridge was I promised them it was simple and easy to get where you wanted to go, and do what you wanted to do, whatever and wherever that was on BBO. I have never felt I could say that about the web version because it's just not true, it is not easy. Today I had two different people tell me they didn't know how to get to the club, between all the choices they were forced to make they just gave up and logged out to go do something else. Usually it's just faster to have the table host invite them or I tell them to click on my name and join me but that doesn't solve the problem for the future. ( Both of those excellent and useful options, tho)

I don't think its that hard tbh but it's definitely more complicated, or at least it FEELs much more complicated. It's like trying to get past an automated telephone system to a person. Some get stymied by the very first choice they have to make, they don't know exactly what they want to do, it depends on who else is online and what's going on.

#110 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-11, 02:38

View Postjohnu, on 2016-November-10, 16:46, said:

You can move the windows task bar to the left or right sides which will give you a little vertical space.

Infuriating that you need to do this to have access to all the buttons.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#111 User is offline   TordN 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-November-11, 06:09

View Postfred, on 2016-November-07, 13:41, said:

We try very hard to make the best decisions we can, but of course you can't make all of the people happy all of the time and of course sometimes we simply make mistakes that are a lot easier to see in retrospect.

And are BBO certain that forcing everyone into way of playing which they apparently don't like isn't a mistake?

In many ways BBO has been exceedingly importaint for me for many years and I am eternally grateful for your the job you have done to keep it going, but as many others here have commented, I have tried the webversion and it can never, in any way, replace the traditional way of playing. Maybe it's possible to replicate this in the future but for now it seems like an enormouse mistake to do this.

I have no believe that my opinions count for much when a company has apparently already decided what product they want their customers to use, but I can only hope my own wish and the wishes of all the others who feel the same count for something.

Thanks.

#112 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-November-11, 09:39

View Postjohnu, on 2016-November-10, 16:46, said:

You can also hide the task bar completely.

#113 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-12, 00:17

View Postjohnu, on 2016-November-10, 14:10, said:

One option would be to have a full screen option where only the BBO window shows on the screen. The obvious problem is that you have to escape out of full screen mode to do other Windows things.

Most browsers have this option. Looks like on firefox you have to switch to it in another tab (F11) and then CTRL+TAB to the BBO tab to get it to work there. You can switch to non-browser windows tasks with ALT+TAB (usually) and other browser tabs with CTRL+TAB.

Probably something similar on a mac, but am too lazy to check.

#114 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-12, 00:22

View Postbarmar, on 2016-November-11, 09:39, said:

You can also hide the task bar completely.

Given how widescreen (read: short and wide) monitors have become the standard, I don't understand why the task bad and the apple dock default to being at the bottom of the screen, rather than a side...

#115 User is offline   Curls77 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-November-12, 08:54

IAC stuff is trying to “clean-up” the club, as over years, it kept growing, having now over 3000 members - unfortunately most of them are no longer active, probably many even not members of BBO anymore. We tried retrieve list of members that our admin nickname (bbo_iac) has on BBO and weren't able, but Barmar was so kind to get that list for us, and as he suggested we should ask for a new feature in future BBO.
It would be very useful if Club Managers were able to download the members list, and if possible, upload a new list replacing existing one.

#116 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-November-13, 19:24

View Postmatmat, on 2016-November-12, 00:22, said:

Given how widescreen (read: short and wide) monitors have become the standard, I don't understand why the task bad and the apple dock default to being at the bottom of the screen, rather than a side...

I've always changed the preferences on my Mac to move the Dock to the side and also auto-hide it.

I suspect it defaults to the bottom because the wide screen allows room for more items in the task bar.

#117 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-14, 13:18

Betty Schuler (fraume on BBO) is making some youtube videos to help her friends switch from the old version to web easier. So if you're more into seeing how things are done than reading about it, here's her first one: https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

I'll post the links here if she makes more.

#118 User is offline   camilleln 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-November-15, 08:17

I wondered if you could offer the windows version with an annual fee? Wouldn't this be the same as allowing the ACBL premium users to continue its use?

And, I know you suggested this was minor, but I personally do not like the graphics on the web client. If they were the same, I think you would get a more positive response to convert.

#119 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-November-15, 09:21

View Postcamilleln, on 2016-November-15, 08:17, said:

I wondered if you could offer the windows version with an annual fee? Wouldn't this be the same as allowing the ACBL premium users to continue its use?

The extension for premium users is not planned to be indefinite, probably not even a year.

#120 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-16, 20:18

For most of our chinese users, we think old bbo version is a perfect boutique. Many people are saying that compared to current web version, we love the old BBO version very much.

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users