• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-November-02, 01:19

Team match.
Silent opponents.
North plays 6

LEAD : 5 (they lead 2-4th)

You try J of clubs but W produces Q.....
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#2 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-02, 06:04

Is it OK to assume West was not dealer?

A potential line is to play East for Tx and thus try an intrafinesse. However, if West was indeed dealer and passed, then that line become much lower %. All indications are West holds AQ(xxx) and is very unlikely to also hold KQxx and pass in the first seat.

#3 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-02, 07:03

Timo, I suggest editing the name of the thread to make the problem easier :P
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#4 User is offline   jexa_ 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-November-02, 09:10

View PostMrAce, on 2016-November-02, 01:19, said:

Team match.
Silent opponents.
North plays 6

LEAD : 5 (they lead 2-4th)

You try J of clubs but W produces Q.....

hmmm i can see a line but it would be a miracle if it succeds :D

edit : ok maybe its your only chance. Ruff the club,give em a diamond, play two rounds of spades, play hearts discarding a diamond on 4th heart, cash Ace of diamonds and ruff a diamond. Claim rest.

You need 3-2 spades break, 4-2 hearts break (or 5-1), 3-3 diamonds break. The one with 3 spades should also hold 4 hearts(or 5)

#5 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-02, 09:55

View PostJinksy, on 2016-November-02, 07:03, said:

Timo, I suggest editing the name of the thread to make the problem easier :P
I would appreciate knowing how to do that - I've tried to change the name of a couple of my threads and it wasn't obvious how to do that.

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-November-02, 10:04

Sorry all, it is 6 . not 6 as in the title.
Perhaps a mod can fix it.

View Postshyams, on 2016-November-02, 06:04, said:

Is it OK to assume West was not dealer?

West was not dealer.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#7 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-November-02, 10:09

View Postjexa_, on 2016-November-02, 09:10, said:

hmmm i can see a line but it would be a miracle if it succeds :D

edit : ok maybe its your only chance. Ruff the club,give em a diamond, play two rounds of spades, play hearts discarding a diamond on 4th heart, cash Ace of diamonds and ruff a diamond. Claim rest.

You need 3-2 spades break, 4-2 hearts break (or 5-1), 3-3 diamonds break. The one with 3 spades should also hold 4 hearts(or 5)

are 3-2

are 3-3

#8 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-02, 10:24

View PostKaitlyn S, on 2016-November-02, 09:55, said:

I would appreciate knowing how to do that - I've tried to change the name of a couple of my threads and it wasn't obvious how to do that.
I see a few possibilities.
1. Play East for 10x a la Shyams..rd 7.
2. Play East for K10 or Q 10. This has lower odds unless West was a passed hand.
3. Play East for 10xx and try to guess West's distribution to endplay him. West must have at most 2 spades. You need to play for a distribution that will allow you to make when West gives you a club trick (either by a dummy reversal or by having East helplessly follow to four hearts.) Since you need to strip hearts, I don't think the reversal works so West has to be 2-2-3-6 or 2-2-4-5. Draw 2 trump and take 2 hearts, lead a diamond to the 7. Oh wait, there's a bonus here! If West wins a doubleton honor... oh nuts, West has to be 2-2-2-7, not much chance.
4. Give up a diamond early (low to 7), draw 2 trump, and play four hearts to discard a diamond. Ruff a diamond. Hope someone is 2-2-3-6. Of course, if West has S-Jxxx you have to hope for a diamond miracle. If both opponents follow to 3 hearts, you still can try to pin the 10 if West won the [d]7 with an honor.

With no great conviction, I'm going to guess line #4 is the best and that's the one I'm going with.

EDIT to add: Cross posted with Mr. Ace. His new information makes my line less likely but since I tried it. I saw both opponents follow to three hearts and it's too late! I no longer have the entries to play for doubleton 10 (not to mention that West can give me a nasty guess by leading a diamond upon winning the first diamond.) So I think I have failed.

#9 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-November-02, 10:40

I had 5+4+1 top tricks = 10
Needed 2 more.

I decided I need miracle in suit. If I can make 2 tricks, that brings me to 11 tricks but then again I may be able to make 6 spade tricks instead of 5, which requires 3-2 .
Making 2 tricks needs someone holding KQ tide or Tx doubleton or HT doubleton with East. So diamonds being 3-3 would not do any good for me. I needed them to be 4-2.
I ruffed the lead and played small towards J74 and inserted the 7.
West took with Q and played K of diamonds, rescuing us from a very important decision.
I won with the A and cashed Q and K of trumps in this order. Everyone followed.
Now I ruffed 2nd
Went to T and ruffed 3rd
Cleared the last trump and claimed.

W had

J93
KQ
AQ843

Problem is, I have no idea whether I would get it right had W not played K after Q. If he has KQxx I needed to play J from dummy. If tide KQ as it was, I needed to cash A.

#10 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-November-02, 10:43

View PostKaitlyn S, on 2016-November-02, 10:24, said:

I see a few possibilities.
1. Play East for 10x a la Shyams..rd 7.
2. Play East for K10 or Q 10. This has lower odds unless West was a passed hand.
3. Play East for 10xx and try to guess West's distribution to endplay him. West must have at most 2 spades. You need to play for a distribution that will allow you to make when West gives you a club trick (either by a dummy reversal or by having East helplessly follow to four hearts.) Since you need to strip hearts, I don't think the reversal works so West has to be 2-2-3-6 or 2-2-4-5. Draw 2 trump and take 2 hearts, lead a diamond to the 7. Oh wait, there's a bonus here! If West wins a doubleton honor... oh nuts, West has to be 2-2-2-7, not much chance.
4. Give up a diamond early (low to 7), draw 2 trump, and play four hearts to discard a diamond. Ruff a diamond. Hope someone is 2-2-3-6. Of course, if West has S-Jxxx you have to hope for a diamond miracle. If both opponents follow to 3 hearts, you still can try to pin the 10 if West won the [d]7 with an honor.

With no great conviction, I'm going to guess line #4 is the best and that's the one I'm going with.

EDIT to add: Cross posted with Mr. Ace. His new information makes my line less likely but since I tried it. I saw both opponents follow to three hearts and it's too late! I no longer have the entries to play for doubleton 10 (not to mention that West can give me a nasty guess by leading a diamond upon winning the first diamond.) So I think I have failed.

No you did not fail. when you played line#4, W wins diamond 7 with Q and plays K. I think you would make it easily like I did after this.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users