Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Second-best Slam Play 6NT

#1 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-October-29, 06:12

Your methods appear not to let you reach the best slam here, which is 6 Clubs. West leads the seven of spades, second and fourth, and East plays the three. Over to you.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#2 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-29, 06:25

Win in hand, cross over in clubs and take the diamond finesse (repeating it if it wins). If we have 3 diamond tricks I will duck a heart in case clubs don't break. If the diamond finesse loses, I will need something good to happen in clubs or spades, and then a squeeze to happen.
Wayne Somerville

#3 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2016-October-29, 06:44

View Postmanudude03, on 2016-October-29, 06:25, said:

Win in hand, cross over in clubs and take the diamond finesse (repeating it if it wins). If we have 3 diamond tricks I will duck a heart in case clubs don't break. If the diamond finesse loses, I will need something good to happen in clubs or spades, and then a squeeze to happen.

Clubs are 3-2 but the diamond finesse loses and there is no squeeze (any more).

#4 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-29, 08:11

View Postmanudude03, on 2016-October-29, 06:25, said:

I'll look later but heart to the 10 is better than ducking.

#5 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-October-29, 09:31

One can play to dummy, to T, say it lost and W played another spade, now casj AK of and when/if 3-3 cash 4th discarding a diamond from North. Now cash all 4 clubs and spade Q, E will be show up squeezed if he has 4 + K, W will be squeezed too if he has 4+ and K. Problem is if you play for this you will go down when K is on and W has the long spades.

Is this a TD issue Paul? Where W player did not have the K but slow discarded a diamond?
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#6 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2016-October-30, 06:04

View PostMrAce, on 2016-October-29, 09:31, said:

One can play to dummy, to T, say it lost and W played another spade, now casj AK of and when/if 3-3 cash 4th discarding a diamond from North. Now cash all 4 clubs and spade Q, E will be show up squeezed if he has 4 + K, W will be squeezed too if he has 4+ and K. Problem is if you play for this you will go down when K is on and W has the long spades.

Is this a TD issue Paul? Where W player did not have the K but slow discarded a diamond?

No, it is not a TD issue, but that did cross my mind. Declarer tested clubs with queen and ace, and then took the diamond finesse. I think the right line was is to test clubs then play a heart to the ten. It loses, and a spade comes back. Now you can try the spade-diamond squeeze (which works) and if the defender bares the king of diamonds in tempo, you take the diamond finesse. You are no worse off. If the defender bares the king of diamonds not in tempo, then you play for him to have been squeezed. If he bares the nine of diamonds not in tempo, then he gets fed to the pigs.

#7 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-October-30, 11:04

View Postlamford, on 2016-October-30, 06:04, said:

. If he bares the nine of diamonds not in tempo, then he gets fed to the pigs.

Yea but there are also a lot of people who says "you do it on your own risk when take an action depending on the opponents tempo"
Is that true?
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#8 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2016-October-31, 06:01

View PostMrAce, on 2016-October-30, 11:04, said:

Yea but there are also a lot of people who says "you do it on your own risk when take an action depending on the opponents tempo"
Is that true?

Only partially. In sensitive situations such as three-card endings, one should be "particularly careful" when a variation may deceive. So, showing discomfort and breaking tempo before baring the nine of diamonds would normally be punished (sorry, rectified).

#9 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-31, 08:20

View Postlamford, on 2016-October-30, 06:04, said:

I think the right line was is to test clubs then play a heart to the ten. It loses, and a spade comes back. Now you can try the spade-diamond squeeze (which works) and if the defender bares the king of diamonds in tempo, you take the diamond finesse. You are no worse off. If the defender bares the king of diamonds not in tempo, then you play for him to have been squeezed. If he bares the nine of diamonds not in tempo, then he gets fed to the pigs.

What makes you think this to be the right line? Because it would have worked?

When the diamond finesse Is wrong:

Your line (touching herats before diamonds) wins over the immediate diamond finesse when West has spade length and hearts are 3-3 (spade-diamond squeeze) or East has both heart honors.
Taking the loosing diamond finesse before touching hearts wins over your line when East does not have both heart honors, but either defender holds spade length together with 4 or more hearts or West has both heart honors with spade length. (spade-heart squeeze)

Comparing these 2 conditions is not simple
However, you can not squueze West between the diamond king and spade length without loosing when West holds the spade length and East the diamond king.
Neither defender has a discarding problem in this case and it is hard to see what the spade diamond squeeze gains over the straightforward diamond finesse.
Even without computing this in all detail and unless I overlooked something your line looks to me like the inferior one

Rainer Herrmann

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users