BBO Discussion Forums: Crawling Stayman vs INV with 5-4 majors? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Crawling Stayman vs INV with 5-4 majors?

#1 User is offline   Kungsgeten 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-October-28, 05:24

Do you use Crawling Stayman (where 1NT-2; 2-2 shows 4-4 majors in a weak hand), and if so: do you find it worthwhile? We currently use the sequence as invitational with 5-4 majors (either way; transferring to hearts and then bidding spades has another meaning). I guess another use for the sequence could be at least 5-4 majors, INV+ (should be possible to untangle).

If we were to use Crawling Stayman we would have no way to show invitational hands with 5-4 majors, so we would either have to treat these as 4-4 majors, force to game, or invite with the five card suit and miss a possible 4-4 fit.

#2 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-October-28, 05:46

It depends strongly on your NT range and form of scoring. Crawling Stayman is much improved by both MPs and a weak(er) NT. Playing both I would definitely use it. Playing neither I would definitely prefer something stronger. Playing one or the other, it would depend on what it gaps it would allow me to plug elsewhere in the system and how much we were suffering from them.

I would guess form of scoring is a bigger factor than, say 12-14 vs 15-17 NT range.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#3 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-28, 06:41

What do you use 1NT - 2; 2 - 2 for? One logical scheme is for 5-4 to use 1NT - 2; 2 - 2NT and 54 to use 1NT - 2; 2 - 2NT, with 1NT - 2; 2 - 2 and 1NT - 2; 2 - 2 then covering (inter alia) the balanced invites. The advantage of having these 5-4 hands finish on 2NT is being able to upgrade an invite into a game force based on there being a fit; the downside is not being able to stop in 2 of the major.

Crawling Stayman is certainly worthwhile from time to time. It is one of the few things I miss occasionally from playing a Puppet scheme. That said, it is not really such a big deal if not including it makes the rest of your structure more efficient.
(-: Zel :-)

#4 User is offline   Kungsgeten 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-28, 08:08

Jinksy: We're using a (14)15-17 NT. 5M332 is systematically opened 1NT if in range. If holding a five card major the range is usually 14-16 (we play that a rebid after 1M-1NT promise an unbalanced hand, and with 17 we usually open Swedish 1 (12-14 NT or 17+). We also treat 4-4-1-4 as balanced, so these open 1NT if in range. We play matchpoints (in a pretty weak field) much more frequently, but overall the system is tailored towards IMPs and that's what we enjoy more.

Zel: 1NT-2 is a transfer to heart, but may be invitational with 4 hearts (those hands doesn't bid stayman, unless 4-4 majors). 1NT-2; 2-2 is INV with 5 (2NT would invite with four) or GF with 5-5 majors. 1NT-2; 2-2 is a GF relay (shape ask).

#5 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-28, 09:12

We use this a lot (with a weak NT), and definitely find it worthwhile. For INV 5-4 hands we use the traditional, but probably subpar, method of jumping to 3M after 2D; transfer then a new suit is NAT GF.

ahydra

#6 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2016-October-29, 10:39

Is crawling Stayman worth the occasional disaster when 1N opener is 2-2 in the majors?
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#7 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-29, 12:08

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-October-28, 06:41, said:

Crawling Stayman is certainly worthwhile from time to time. It is one of the few things I miss occasionally from playing a Puppet scheme. That said, it is not really such a big deal if not including it makes the rest of your structure more efficient.

Puppet Stayman has its own version. With 5+ diamonds, and 2+ hearts and spades, you bid 2 and pass any response and you are guaranteed to play at least a 5-2 fit. Obviously this caters to a different type of signoff hand then regular Crawling Stayman but frequency wise it probably is even more common depending on the exact hand patterns used.

#8 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-29, 17:40

1NT-2-2-2: weak, 4-4, 5-4 or 4-5 in the majors.
1NT-2-2-2: invitational, 4-5 in the majors.
1NT-2-2-2: invitational, 5-4 in the majors.
1NT-2-2any-pass: weak, short in clubs ("Garbage Stayman")
1NT-2-2any-2NT: invitational, at least one 4 card major
1NT-2-2NT-pass: invitational, no 4 card major.
1NT-2-3-3NT: invitational, no 4 card major. (3 clubs shows a maximum 1NT opener).
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#9 User is offline   nekthen 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-30, 02:03

1NT-2♣-2any-pass: weak, short in clubs ("Garbage Stayman")
1NT-2♣-2any-2NT: invitational, at least one 4 card major
1NT-2♣-2♦-2♥: weak, 4-5 in the majors.
1NT-2♣-2♦-2♠: weak, 5-4 in the majors.
1NT-2♦-2♥-2♠: invitational, 4-5 in the majors.
1NT-2-2-3 invitational+ 5-4 majors
1NT-2-2-3 GF 4-5 majors

This covers every 54 hand without ambiguity

#10 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-30, 15:31

I've found that escaping NT with a 44 "garbage" is more useful with weak NTs, as others pointed out.

In an IMP context (with strong NT...), improving game investigation is more useful. So 54 majors inv (or even just 5 maj and irregular shapes) bid Stayman and correct 2D to 2M. If the auction goes 1NT-2C-2S-2NT, opener should remember to show a 3-card H suit if he wants to pursue. If the auction goes 2D-2M, opener can relay to see if his hand suits responder's expected singleton.

So to anwer OP's question: with your strong(ish) NT range and sophisticated developments you seem to have in place, I bet this should have been dealt with when you decided. In a more standard system, it probably makes less sense to try to escape unless you play a weak(ish) NT and lots of MP events. However, knowing majors length rather than 45 each way is probably a need to have.

#11 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-October-31, 05:00

View Postjohnu, on 2016-October-29, 12:08, said:

Puppet Stayman has its own version. With 5+ diamonds, and 2+ hearts and spades, you bid 2 and pass any response and you are guaranteed to play at least a 5-2 fit. Obviously this caters to a different type of signoff hand then regular Crawling Stayman but frequency wise it probably is even more common depending on the exact hand patterns used.

You are thinking of Exit Stayman, which does indeed have a Puppet equivalent. However, most puppet users treat the sequence 1NT - 2; 2 - 2 as constructive, if not forcing, so it is then not available for Crawling (aka Creeping) Stayman.

Note: Garbage Stayman is another name for Exit Stayman but is often used for both conventions almost interchangeably and therefore the Exit Stayman description is clearer.

View Poststeve2005, on 2016-October-29, 10:39, said:

Is crawling Stayman worth the occasional disaster when 1N opener is 2-2 in the majors?

A common trick is to specific that one of the majors has to be at least 5 cards long meaning that Opener can always give preference to that suit with an equal length and will have a reasonable landing place with 2-2 in the majors.

#12 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-31, 07:51

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-October-31, 05:00, said:

A common trick is to specific that one of the majors has to be at least 5 cards long meaning that Opener can always give preference to that suit with an equal length and will have a reasonable landing place with 2-2 in the majors.

I think if you played it this way you'd be giving up a large part of the gain of the system, which is being able to find 4-4 major fits whenever you have 4-4 in the majors. Sabotaging that for a once-in-a-blue-moon save from playing in a 4-2 fit at the two level seems far too timid.

#13 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-October-31, 07:56

View PostJinksy, on 2016-October-31, 07:51, said:

I think if you played it this way you'd be giving up a large part of the gain of the system, which is being able to find 4-4 major fits whenever you have 4-4 in the majors. Sabotaging that for a once-in-a-blue-moon save from playing in a 4-2 fit at the two level seems far too timid.

The primary benefit is playing in the 8 card fit in the very common case of 5-4 opposite 3-3. This is actually the version of the convention that is generally recommended by the more experienced BBFers in threads on the subject.

#14 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-31, 11:31

You are thinking of Exit Stayman, which does indeed have a Puppet equivalent. However, most puppet users treat the sequence 1NT - 2; 2 - 2 as constructive, if not forcing, so it is then not available for Crawling (aka Creeping) Stayman.

Standard treatment is that a 2 rebid shows 4 spades, and 2 shows 4 hearts. Both are invitational+.

#15 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-31, 13:33

Maybe common where you play, but IIRC, never encountered by me in the US.

#16 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-31, 13:35

View PostZelandakh, on 2016-October-31, 07:56, said:

The primary benefit is playing in the 8 card fit in the very common case of 5-4 opposite 3-3. This is actually the version of the convention that is generally recommended by the more experienced BBFers in threads on the subject.

I don't agree with them. This is one of the things I've spent the most time testing in bidding rooms, and IMO 5-3s aren't that big a deal, either in frequency or in increased expectation when they come up. More often than not getting into 4-3s is worth a trick more than NT, and 4-4s are huge. Restricting yourself to (a specific ordering of) 5-4 hands will drastically reduce the frequency with which you can bid Stayman, and I would guess you gain about 1/2 an IMP in expectation every time you bid it.

Andrew Robson seemed to advocate this view as well in a recent EBU mag, though I don't think he specifically commented

#17 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-31, 16:26

View PostJinksy, on 2016-October-31, 13:35, said:

I don't agree with them. This is one of the things I've spent the most time testing in bidding rooms, and IMO 5-3s aren't that big a deal, either in frequency or in increased expectation when they come up. More often than not getting into 4-3s is worth a trick more than NT, and 4-4s are huge.

My experience in different. In general, I prefer to play my 8-card fits in a suit contract and stick to no-trumps when our best fit is 4-3.

#18 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-31, 17:14

View PostKungsgeten, on 2016-October-28, 08:08, said:

Jinksy: We're using a (14)15-17 NT. 5M332 is systematically opened 1NT if in range. If holding a five card major the range is usually 14-16 (we play that a rebid after 1M-1NT promise an unbalanced hand, and with 17 we usually open Swedish 1 (12-14 NT or 17+). We also treat 4-4-1-4 as balanced, so these open 1NT if in range. We play matchpoints (in a pretty weak field) much more frequently, but overall the system is tailored towards IMPs and that's what we enjoy more.

Zel: 1NT-2 is a transfer to heart, but may be invitational with 4 hearts (those hands doesn't bid stayman, unless 4-4 majors). 1NT-2; 2-2 is INV with 5 (2NT would invite with four) or GF with 5-5 majors. 1NT-2; 2-2 is a GF relay (shape ask).

Obviously, the whole 1NT structure is interlinked, but I don't like using bids as relays when there is a natural and relatively frequent use for the bid. Both to play (based on 5-4 in the majors) and invitational with 5 spades are sensible natural meanings. After a 1NT opening it's often better for Responder to describe his or her own shape rather than ask on FG hands; the balanced hand is better placed to judge whether or not the honour structure fits well.

#19 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-01, 11:30

View Postjallerton, on 2016-October-31, 16:26, said:

My experience in different. In general, I prefer to play my 8-card fits in a suit contract and stick to no-trumps when our best fit is 4-3.

I don't think I particularly disagree - in practice, Moyesians seem harder to play (and/or easier to defend) than 1N. So I suspect playing in them in practice roughly breaks even (at least at IMPs - I would expect to show a slight profit from the Moyesians at MPs). But 4-4s are huge, and all things being equal I would much rather miss the occasional 5-3 if it meant finding more of them (and occasionally we'll find a 5-4 fit when opener shows up with a 5-card major, though that's probably too rare to be much of a factor).

Also because we play a weak NT, getting doubled is a factor, and many people still don't play a double of Stayman as values, so it's useful against such pairs to lower the risk by bidding it more often.

#20 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-November-01, 17:36

To profit from playing 2 of a major suit compared with 1NT you need to be making an extra trick in the suit contract (whether the contract makes or not). Yes a 4-4 fit will normally provide that extra trick but surely that is not the case with 4-3s with no outside shortage in the 3-card trump holding: you are quite right that 1NT contracts are easier to play than defend and on average tend to make more tricks than double dummy analysis would suggest. In essence, using Stayman on 4432 hands is a gamble than partner holds a 4-card major (approx. a 50% chance I believe, depending on 1NT opening style) when you will usually, but not always, gain by finding your 4-4 fit.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users