• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Accept invite after Landy?

#1 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-October-28, 17:40

IMP scoring. You've agreed that over a weak NT you'll keep your bids comparatively sound (with no specific agreement about what that means).

One more for the road?
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-28, 18:26

NO!

3 says you found a 4-4 fit. Not an invitation. Pd should have gone through 2 NT with 4 trumps and better hand.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2016-October-28, 19:11

All your points are in front of the opponents' "strong" hand and need to be devalued some. Pass.

#4 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-28, 22:02

If you've shown sound values, you can't have much less. I presume your agreement is 3H invitational since you wouldn't be asking the question otherwise. Pass.

#5 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2016-October-29, 01:14

no way we are total minimum - this feels like a ruling question to me
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#6 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-29, 04:11

View PostMrAce, on 2016-October-28, 18:26, said:

NO!

3 says you found a 4-4 fit. Not an invitation. Pd should have gone through 2 NT with 4 trumps and better hand.

Some prefer to begin their relays with 2 to maximise the information exchange but the effect is the same. That is even before we get to Overcaller's hand being an absolute minimum for "sound values" over a weak NT. Agree with the assessment that the full story will probably feature a BIT or other UI from second hand.
(-: Zel :-)

#7 User is offline   StevenG 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-October-29, 04:30

Well, I like this hand after the jump, so I would accept. (I seem to be in a minority of one again.) Landy limits what West can bid over 1NT and a lot of pretty good hands (that would bid if playing something Astro-ish) don't have any other option than to pass. I'm assuming that this is a casual partnership, else Jinksy would have zillions of complicated agreements, and casual partnerships don't usually have detailed agreements (actually, they usually don't have any agreements at all) about how to proceed over Landy, so I'm discounting any negative inferences.

#8 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-29, 14:16

Do I have much more than promised? Not that much it seems from OP.
Are my HCP prime and need upgrade? Hell no (stiff Q, aceless, lack of concentration in H).
Does my shape compensate? Not that much (ok I could be 5422, but partner hit my 4-cd suit).
Does partner seem to have extras? I guess he could have bid 2NT or some kind of relays, so he probably has some "nice" 8-10 with 4 hearts.
Am I red at IMPs? Yes, but this time it won't be enough, sorry...

#9 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-29, 18:05

Non-casual, but we play everything (apart from 2) after 2 as natural. So this is just an invite.

(Why would you need 3 to be preemptive here, esp on a 4-card suit? They've both passed, and when one's balanced we're not terribly afraid of them suddenly competing to 3 or 4minor - meanwhile over a weak NT, there are a number of hands we have with and without fits on which we'll want to probe for game)

#10 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-October-29, 18:41

View PostJinksy, on 2016-October-29, 18:05, said:

Non-casual, but we play everything (apart from 2) after 2 as natural. So this is just an invite.

(Why would you need 3 to be preemptive here, esp on a 4-card suit? They've both passed, and when one's balanced we're not terribly afraid of them suddenly competing to 3 or 4minor - meanwhile over a weak NT, there are a number of hands we have with and without fits on which we'll want to probe for game)

3 is not preempt. It shows 4 card . Incase your pd has a good hand that can bid game vs a 4 card support. Because 2 would not even be a support, it is just preference.
3 is not an invitation.

Axxxx
Axxxxx
x
x

is a good example. I bid 4 if pd bids 3. And I pass if pd bids 2 and hope to make 2.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#11 User is offline   alok c 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-29, 22:19

Pass.partner is a passed hand with 4+ & we are aceless sitting under the stronger hand.

#12 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-30, 04:26

View PostMrAce, on 2016-October-29, 18:41, said:

3 is not preempt. It shows 4 card . Incase your pd has a good hand that can bid game vs a 4 card support. Because 2 would not even be a support, it is just preference.
3 is not an invitation.

Axxxx
Axxxxx
x
x

is a good example. I bid 4 if pd bids 3. And I pass if pd bids 2 and hope to make 2.

What does P do with points and no fit? Normally I like a forcing 2N in competition, but it seems like it doesn't make so much sense here - give him something like xxx Qx AJTx AQxx , and it seems like he should be at least thinking about a positive move. Sure it might go badly opposite the hand you give, but we also want to bid Landy on much more boring hands, like Axxxx KJxx xx Kx (obviously handcrafted, but you can make either hand slightly stronger for similar effect).

Is the idea that one of (a direct 2N after Landy) or 2D pref ask then 2N promises support and inv(+) values?

If so, do you agree with playing something more agricultural if overcaller had just started with a natural bid?

#13 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-October-30, 11:08

View PostJinksy, on 2016-October-30, 04:26, said:

What does P do with points and no fit? Normally I like a forcing 2N in competition, but it seems like it doesn't make so much sense here - give him something like xxx Qx AJTx AQxx , and it seems like he should be at least thinking about a positive move. Sure it might go badly opposite the hand you give, but we also want to bid Landy on much more boring hands, like Axxxx KJxx xx Kx (obviously handcrafted, but you can make either hand slightly stronger for similar effect).

Is the idea that one of (a direct 2N after Landy) or 2D pref ask then 2N promises support and inv(+) values?

If so, do you agree with playing something more agricultural if overcaller had just started with a natural bid?

IMO whichever method you choose, you need to be able to show a 4 card support to one of the majors of pd. After all knowing a 5-4 or 6-4 fit instead of a possible 5-2 or 6-2 fit changes A LOT for pd.
And that is jumping to 3M. You have more options for invitation over 2 than michaels 1-2 for example.

#14 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-30, 21:35

What's the worst hand on which you'd make this jump-response? Presumably you'd still play it as reasonably constructive?

#15 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-October-30, 22:08

View PostJinksy, on 2016-October-30, 21:35, said:

What's the worst hand on which you'd make this jump-response? Presumably you'd still play it as reasonably constructive?

Hxxx in our suit and out is enough for me. You need to figure out the top range rather than bottom range imo. I play it up to flat 9.
H being A-K-Q

To me it works both ways. It can be useful for pd as I said earlier or it can be preemptive if he is broke too.

I have seen us in 4-4 fit doing this which made them not play their 3 NT thinking we have 5-4 of this suit. Good thing about it is, the info you give is very useful for pd and rarely useful for opponents and it steals some valuable space from them. As I said same applies for Michaels.

#16 User is offline   StevenG 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-31, 02:08

I still puzzled, because I don't see any value in preempting after 1NT (12-14) - pass - pass. Surely it just risks getting too high for no reward.

#17 User is offline   alok c 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-31, 06:59

View PostStevenG, on 2016-October-31, 02:08, said:

I still puzzled, because I don't see any value in preempting after 1NT (12-14) - pass - pass. Surely it just risks getting too high for no reward.

Actually this preempts limits the level of calls of East type hands.East bids two after 2H by West unsure about number of & pts in West hand,now West is in a dilemma & so on.

#18 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-31, 09:00

This is much closer in my mind than in that of most people replying. If you play 3 as a simply invitational bid (which seems quite playable to me, even if there are better follow-up agreements possible) then I have to admit I would be tempted to accept on this hand. I accept it is ace-less, but it also only has 6 losers where I would expect a minimum hand to have 7.

#19 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-31, 10:07

It feels closer to me too. I don't think aces are actually that good sitting under a weak NT. IMO good intermediates and soft honour sequences such as QJx JT9x pull far more weight than normal, since there's a good chance you'll be able to run a finesse through opener towards partner's presumptive (given that he's strong enough for you to have investigated game) aces and kings. The absence of aces is also slightly less of a concern when one of the opps is known to be balanced, since defensive ruffs are less likely.

Here's the full hand:

Game is excellent looking at just the E/W cards after the 1N opener, and on the actual hand it seems trivial to make 11 tricks.

In fact P just limped into 2, but he agreed afterwards that he should have done something stronger, but we weren't sure who if anyone should have made the final decision to take us to game. Perhaps he should have blasted 4?

#20 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-October-31, 10:30

View PostJinksy, on 2016-October-31, 10:07, said:

It feels closer to me too. I don't think aces are actually that good sitting under a weak NT. IMO good intermediates and soft honour sequences such as QJx JT9x pull far more weight than normal, since there's a good chance you'll be able to run a finesse through opener towards partner's presumptive (given that he's strong enough for you to have investigated game) aces and kings. The absence of aces is also slightly less of a concern when one of the opps is known to be balanced, since defensive ruffs are less likely.

Here's the full hand:

Game is excellent looking at just the E/W cards after the 1N opener, and on the actual hand it seems trivial to make 11 tricks.

In fact P just limped into 2, but he agreed afterwards that he should have done something stronger, but we weren't sure who if anyone should have made the final decision to take us to game. Perhaps he should have blasted 4?

2 or 3 with W hand is funny. Even if 3 is an invitation (pretty bad to invite like that but whatever)

How was E supposed to accept the invitation with

KQJxx
Q9xx
xxx
x

??

People, get rid of this bean counting when pd shows 2 suiter! Look at your support and gems in his suits!

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users