Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bridge Movie for intermediates Looking for constructive criticism

#1 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-October-24, 08:17

Hi! I have made my first attempt at a BBO bridge movie (diana_eva made the other one using my material that bears my name, so I can't really say I created it.)

As I plan to occasionally contribute a bridge movie, I would like to improve the experience of the user in future endeavors.

The movie appears here:

Every trick matters at matchpoints

All comments and criticisms are welcome.

The movie is aimed at a level of player who plays duplicate (matchpoints) and is fairly proficient at basic plays. (I would guess that most players with about 50 masterpoints would get the basic theme of the movie wrong, and new life masters would be about 50-50 on the harder problem.)

If you've done a lot of reading or bridge puzzles, you will have seen the basic theme, but not the twist. Since my target audience is the player with about 50 MP, I don't really give them the "twist" as a quiz, but walk them through the solution so they should certainly get it right even though they probably would have got it wrong at the table. Let me know if you think this was a mistake.

Also, other things I'd like to know are:

Did I say too much at some points? Not enough?
Did I confuse the reader (or if you are beyond the level of the problem, would I confuse the reader)?
Did I meke the movie too tedious (i.e should I have left out some screens and made the user think more?)

Any constructive criticism would be welcome.

As I will be encouraging others to try their hand at creating their first bridge movie, any constructive criticism you put here may be helpful to any prospective movie creator. However, if you wish to comment but not post here, you may send me a message instead.

Thinking about the movie, there is one thing I wish I had stressed that I did not stress. I wonder if any of you will catch it.

#2 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2016-October-24, 09:33

A couple of points. 1) Your analysis does not take into consideration the lead. 2) The analysis (IMO) varies between intermediate level and beginner level. (Lose the part about how to come back to hand - too simplistic for intermediates.)

That said, the discovery play you revisit is quite a good point often overlooked. Well done.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#3 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2016-October-24, 09:34

Forgot - I would also lose the bidding part - again, too simplistic for intermediates.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#4 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2016-October-24, 14:21

I felt that asking for spades and clubs to be dangerous was a bit repetitive, but it is right for completeness and I can't see a better alternative.

#5 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2016-October-24, 16:44

Good title and excellent content, Kailyn S. Not too little. Not too much

• Detail. Sufficient for clarity.
  • Difficulty. Unusual theme. Stretching our abilities but within them on a good day.
  • Explanation. Lucid, useful, and instructive.

Just right. Baby Bear is proud of you :)

#6 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-25, 04:54

View PostKaitlyn S, on 2016-October-24, 08:17, said:

Did I say too much at some points? Not enough?
Did I confuse the reader (or if you are beyond the level of the problem, would I confuse the reader)?
Did I meke the movie too tedious (i.e should I have left out some screens and made the user think more?)

No, no and no. I thought you pitched it about right for your target audience :rolleyes:
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.

#7 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2016-October-25, 07:47

Where and how do I see this movie.?All movies are interesting whether for novices,beginners,intermediates,advanced and/or experts for various reasons as they usually provide food for thought or reasonable comments.I have very purposely not included the genuine "World Class" and also the self called "World (Cl) Ass" for obvious reasons.

#8 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-25, 10:58

View Postmsjennifer, on 2016-October-25, 07:47, said:

Where and how do I see this movie.?
There is a link in the first post.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users