Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Blast from the past For those of an age

#1 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-October-11, 20:00

We just saw (on the television) the movie 45 years. We both liked it quite a bit but I didn't recognize anyone. Then we got to the credits. Tom Courtenay! Good God, the man is older than I am.

I'll have to see if I can find Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner somewhere. I read it and I saw it. That would be a while back! Angry young men and all that.

Added: The movie 45 years is centered on a 45th anniversary, at which they play a song that they played at their wedding.
https://www.youtube....h?v=H2di83WAOhU

A beautiful song, in my opinion, but an odd choice for the occasion.
Ken

#2 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2016-October-11, 22:52

Normally I hate looking back as I consider it a waste of time as nothing can be altered; however, I do miss the good movies.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#3 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-October-12, 05:55

View PostWinstonm, on 2016-October-11, 22:52, said:

Normally I hate looking back as I consider it a waste of time as nothing can be altered; however, I do miss the good movies.

I often (although less often than I once did) review hands after the game. Of course I can't change the results, but possibly I can do better next time around. History is an important subject. And, while speaking of the past, the interplay of past, present, and future is the subject matter of 45 Years. I steal the following from the Wik:

Mark Kermode, writing in The Observer, described the film as a "subtle examination of the persistence of the past and the fragile (in)stability of the present", arguing that the lead performances "turn an apparently everyday story of a marriage in quiet crisis into something rather extraordinary." He concludes the review by observing "Like the final shot of The Long Good Friday, which lingers upon Bob Hoskins's face as he revisits the events that brought him to this sorry pass, 45 Years shows us the past materializing in the expressions of those trapped in the present, staring into an uncertain future."[

This movie would not be for everyone but we found it seriously interesting. Charlotte Rampling, the co-star, is extraordinary.

Anyway, Tom Courtenay now seems to be Sir Tom. I see that he was in Dr. Z, but I don't recall his role. So, for me, it's Loneliness at one end and 45 Years at the other, with nothing in between. I think of it as: The Angry Young Man turns 79. I was stunned to see, at the end of 45 Years that he was in it. After a moment of thinking that I did not see anyone looking like the Courtenay I knew (not that my visual memory is all that great anyway), I figured it out.
Ken

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users