BBO Discussion Forums: BBF Challenge Event #2 - BBO Discussion Forums

• 10 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BBF Challenge Event #2

Poll: BBF Challenge Event #2 (31 member(s) have cast votes)

Scoring

1. IMPs (22 votes [68.75%])

Percentage of vote: 68.75%

2. MPs (10 votes [31.25%])

Percentage of vote: 31.25%

Best Hand

1. Best Hand (8 votes [24.24%])

Percentage of vote: 24.24%

2. Not Best Hand (25 votes [75.76%])

Percentage of vote: 75.76%

Boards

1. Less - specify below (3 votes [8.82%])

Percentage of vote: 8.82%

2. 32 (20 votes [58.82%])

Percentage of vote: 58.82%

3. 48 (5 votes [14.71%])

Percentage of vote: 14.71%

4. 64 (6 votes [17.65%])

Percentage of vote: 17.65%

5. More - specify below (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-August-15, 23:03

Assuming hrothgar doesn't mind me taking over, I enjoyed the first challenge event so much I feel like starting up another one already :)

A couple of changes in rules:

- It was mentioned the format should be the same for everyone, and I agree. Please vote in the poll (you can vote multiple options for each) - we'll play with whichever options come out with the highest number of votes.

- Given the format will be consistent, we can avoid complicated three-way groupings, etc. Everyone will be paired up randomly in the first round. The winners of all first round matches will go through to the second round, plus enough losers who have the smallest margin of loss to make up a power of 2 players. From then on, it will be straight knockout, with players with the largest winning margins in the previous round playing those with the smallest winning margins, rather than randomly allocated. All ties will be broken by highest individual score.

Anyone that wants to play, please sign up here (won't impose an official sign up deadline yet.)

#2 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-August-15, 23:41

Thanks for putting this together. If you need players to fill out a N2 bracket, I can help bang the drum.

Obviously sign me up.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#3 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-August-15, 23:50

I would also like to play. But is it possible to ask people e play "honestly", ie not game the robots?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#4 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-16, 01:24

View PostVampyr, on 2016-August-15, 23:50, said:

I would also like to play. But is it possible to ask people e play "honestly", ie not game the robots?

What does this even mean?
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#5 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-August-16, 01:33

View Postgordontd, on 2016-August-16, 01:24, said:

What does this even mean?

It's things like bidding 1NT or 3NT on wildly unsuitable hands; generally creating auctions where the robot won't hang you. People who are experienced with robots will know how to get to a sensible contract despite having a robot for a partner.

Is there a way to see a description of your calls before bidding? Inexperienced people will also not know when the robot is assigning a ludicrous meaning to their bids.

Maybe a pairs challenge would be more fun.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#6 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-16, 01:53

View PostVampyr, on 2016-August-16, 01:33, said:

Is there a way to see a description of your calls before bidding?

The answer to this is "yes". I don't suggest that the explanation is 100% complete or reliable, but not far off.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#7 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-16, 02:06

I would be keen for this. I have voted for IMPs and no preference between best hand or not.

I think the number of boards should increase throughout the competition. 16 boards is more than enough for the first round matches and to be honest 32 would be fine for the final imo.

Playing your opponent is half the fun of the game and I see no reason why there should be any difference with robot bidding. This is a robot tournament after all...
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#8 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2016-August-16, 02:49

I am unlikely to be able to devote the time to take part, so my opinion doesn't count, but for what little it is worth I think that imposing a kind of no-psych rule would be impossible to police on the fringes and the easiest solution would be anything goes, and caveat emptor. It would be a shame if that puts Vampyr off playing, and I would not want that outcome. I think that the capacity for "gaming" the robots is a rather overstated, actually.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#9 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-August-16, 05:09

I'll play too. Thanks for organizing.

#10 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-16, 05:10

I'd like to play too.

#11 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-16, 05:11

View PostVampyr, on 2016-August-16, 01:33, said:

It's things like bidding 1NT or 3NT on wildly unsuitable hands; generally creating auctions where the robot won't hang you. People who are experienced with robots will know how to get to a sensible contract despite having a robot for a partner.

Is there a way to see a description of your calls before bidding? Inexperienced people will also not know when the robot is assigning a ludicrous meaning to their bids.

Maybe a pairs challenge would be more fun.

You can see explanations of bids made, and also explanations of your own bids as the robot will understand them. Click any bid to see what it means. Before you make a bid, mouse over it to see what the robot will understand.

#12 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2016-August-16, 07:15

I'd enjoy playing...

FWIW, given how wildly results were fluctuating across 16 board stanzas, I think that long rounds are a good thing...
Alderaan delenda est

#13 User is offline   phoenix214 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge; Chess; Boardgames; Physics; Math; Problem solving; and anything that makes my brain thinking.

Posted 2016-August-16, 07:18

I would like to join as well.

As for format hardest format is no best hand mp, while the easiest to play is best hand imp.

I would prefer the harder one.

#14 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2016-August-16, 07:43

View Postphoenix214, on 2016-August-16, 07:18, said:

I would like to join as well.

As for format hardest format is no best hand mp, while the easiest to play is best hand imp.

I would prefer the harder one.

Ditto.

#15 User is offline   zebutin 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-August-16, 08:34

I would like to participate in this one too. Personally I don't think mp is that good in challenge matches, as there aren't any "pool" of scores to get decent averages and against 1 score it is somewhat random imho. In imp it might be random too, but there is different kind of randomnes in getting 1,2,10,etc imp against 0% and 100%.

#16 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-16, 08:38

I voted for non-best-hand because it removes one of the ways to take advantage of the special robot format. Although this technique is available equally to all, so it's not necessarily unfair, it sounds like there are some people who don't have much experience playing robot bridge.

#17 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-August-16, 09:50

I think 64 board matches were a bit long. It was often difficult to find times for people to meet up to get the matches done quickly. Note that once you send a challenge, you can't play your boards until the other person accepts and vice versa. I'm used to playing Best Hand, but don't really mind playing non-best hand.
Wayne Somerville

#18 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-August-16, 10:22

View Postbarmar, on 2016-August-16, 08:38, said:

I voted for non-best-hand because it removes one of the ways to take advantage of the special robot format. Although this technique is available equally to all, so it's not necessarily unfair, it sounds like there are some people who don't have much experience playing robot bridge.

Right; I don't. Changing my vote to non-best hand.

What are the robots' defensive methods? Is there a robot CC?

#19 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-August-16, 10:27

View Postdiana_eva, on 2016-August-16, 05:11, said:

You can see explanations of bids made, and also explanations of your own bids as the robot will understand them. Click any bid to see what it means. Before you make a bid, mouse over it to see what the robot will understand.

Is it possible to do this on a mini iPad?

#20 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2016-August-16, 10:34

View PostVampyr, on 2016-August-16, 10:22, said:

What are the robots' defensive methods? Is there a robot CC?

http://www.bridgebas...ystem_notes.php

• 10 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users