#1 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-July-23, 04:01

IMP pairs, opponents play 2/1
3 =7-9 4 card fit.

Q1 = What do you bid?
Q2 =If you pass, pd bids 3, what do you bid now?
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#2 User is offline   wanoff 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-July-23, 04:58

1. 3 game try
2. pass, 3 may make

#3 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-July-23, 05:12

View Postwanoff, on 2016-July-23, 04:58, said:

1. 3 game try
2. pass, 3 may make

What do you ask your pd with game try? What should he evaluate when accepting or denying?

Txxx
Qxx
Axxx
xx

is this good to accept?

KJxx
Qxx
Kx
xxxx

or is this bad enough to reject?
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#4 User is offline   masse24 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-23, 05:14

Q1. Pass
Q2. Pass
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

#5 User is offline   wanoff 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-23, 05:43

Was 'Pass' a non-specific game try ?
Over 3 I'd say the mixed raiser should evaluate on min/max, Spade tops, Heart fit, A, K less so and club shortage.

Maybe 3 was an overbid.

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-July-23, 06:10

View Postwanoff, on 2016-July-23, 05:43, said:

Was 'Pass' a non-specific game try ?
Over 3 I'd say the mixed raiser should evaluate on min/max, Spade tops, Heart fit, A, K less so and club shortage.

Maybe 3 was an overbid.

Pass is what you agreed it to be. Some play it the weakest bid. Some play 3 by overcaller to be the weakest bid (I am one of them, because pass creates space) So yes, I play pass as non-specific game try.

3 when 3 or pass was available, should be something about hearts I guess.

I brought this up because I believe this is something that pairs may need to discuss among themselves. For example, when we pass, pd now can bid 3 red, or redouble to show,,,what? Club shortness maybe? Idk tbh!

Jxxx
Qxx
Kxxxx
x

I think this is too strong for preemptive 3 and not good enough for a cue. Because they opened 1 does not really mean they have values in that suit.
3, an overbid or not, does not really seem to help my pd what to evaluate on this hand.

#7 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-23, 06:25

We have 20-22 combined and both balanced, I cannot paly 2 right?.

I would stop in 3 ASAP.

#8 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-July-23, 07:47

View PostFluffy, on 2016-July-23, 06:25, said:

We have 20-22 combined and both balanced, I cannot paly 2 right?.

I would stop in 3 ASAP.

Idk, do mix raises promise a balanced hand?

#9 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2016-July-23, 08:02

View PostMrAce, on 2016-July-23, 07:47, said:

Idk, do mix raises promise a balanced hand?

Good question, I always assumed they showed a hand equal to 7-9 balanced. So hands with a singleton would be around 5-7

#10 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-July-23, 08:44

View PostFluffy, on 2016-July-23, 08:02, said:

Good question, I always assumed they showed a hand equal to 7-9 balanced. So hands with a singleton would be around 5-7

Yeah, that is also what I think. I mean any hand whether balanced or unbalanced which is too strong for preemptive 3M and not good enough for cue.

#11 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-23, 08:57

View PostMrAce, on 2016-July-23, 06:10, said:

Pass is what you agreed it to be. Some play it the weakest bid. Some play 3 by overcaller to be the weakest bid (I am one of them, because pass creates space) So yes, I play pass as non-specific game try.

3 when 3 or pass was available, should be something about hearts I guess.

I brought this up because I believe this is something that pairs may need to discuss among themselves. For example, when we pass, pd now can bid 3 red, or redouble to show,,,what? Club shortness maybe? Idk tbh!

Jxxx
Qxx
Kxxxx
x

I think this is too strong for preemptive 3 and not good enough for a cue. Because they opened 1 does not really mean they have values in that suit.
3, an overbid or not, does not really seem to help my pd what to evaluate on this hand.

Can you not bid 3 as a response to 1 with this ? or is this some other form of raise

#12 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-July-23, 09:09

View PostCyberyeti, on 2016-July-23, 08:57, said:

Can you not bid 3 as a response to 1 with this ? or is this some other form of raise

I was playing with GIB, Cyber, and I do not know what GIB plays it. Probably natural strong hand with diamonds.

With my regular partners, I play 3!D as fit (4+) + natural but stronger than this hand.

#13 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2016-July-23, 16:43

I have a flat, 7 loser hand opposite a 7-9 4 card raise.

I'm passing throughout because I can't visualize a hand where responder's hand eliminates enough losers to make game a good bet.

#14 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2016-July-23, 17:47

View PostMrAce, on 2016-July-23, 04:01, said:

IMP pairs, opponents play 2/1
3 =7-9 4 card fit.
Q1 = What do you bid?
Q2 =If you pass, pd bids 3, what do you bid now?
After 3 (Double), I rank
  • 3 = Happy to play 3 opposite 4 s and 7-9 HCP.
  • Pass = Slightly weaker than a direct 3 (Some players reverse the meanings of these 2 calls).
  • 3 = Trial (over-)bid.
  • 4 = Brave, but pass is a bet that you make exactly nine tricks.
After parter bids 3, I rank.
  • Pass = Should make.
  • 4 = See above.

#15 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2016-July-23, 17:54

3s easy

not fully stated but I assume 7-9 total support points...not just hcp.

I dont really care about pards total hcp but how she values her entire hand. If she values it roughly in the range of 7-9 total support points ok easy 3s.

#16 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2016-July-24, 02:15

hi Timo (MrAce)

I'm a firm believer that you make trial bids (3) in suits that you need help, not headed by the AK. Opener could well have 0445 shape. With 1444 I'd be opening 1. So personally I'd bid 3 as quickly as possible. The hand comes out at a tad over 14 on Kaplan/Rubens, but with 5332 and a fair chance of a 4-0 break, I'll be content to make 3.

#17 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-July-24, 02:57

I passed 3 DBL and when pd bid 3 I passed again.

Pd held.

JT9x
Qxx
Axxx
xx

K was with the opener.

#18 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2016-July-24, 04:51

Partners all points must be working points .He forced you to bid 3 S ..Why did he not bid himself? The answer is that he does not know the strength of overcall.Your overcall may be based on lead direction and could be made even missing the HK.My bid is 3 H to show a concentration in Heart suit and a very good overcall.Now whatever he bids is final.In the second sequence,which I refuse to accept ,my answer is Pass since he could have redoubled also and forced me to decide.

#19 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2016-July-24, 06:08

View Postmsjennifer, on 2016-July-24, 04:51, said:

Partners all points must be working points .He forced you to bid 3 S ..Why did he not bid himself? The answer is that he does not know the strength of overcall.Your overcall may be based on lead direction and could be made even missing the HK.My bid is 3 H to show a concentration in Heart suit and a very good overcall.Now whatever he bids is final.In the second sequence,which I refuse to accept ,my answer is Pass since he could have redoubled also and forced me to decide.

Ok what do you want him to bid with hands like

KJxx
QJx
Qx
xxxx

or

KJxx
xxxx
xx
KQx

over your 3? Bidding 3 will never solve any problems. You do not even want to be at 3 level and game is hopeless, while....

JTxx
Qxxx
Axx
xx

is very decent and looking at a finesse.

#20 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-24, 06:22

with no wastage in clubs i think your partner owed you more than 3s.

i think that's what XX should show.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users