BBO Discussion Forums: Competitive bid, Ccompetitive auction - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Competitive bid, Ccompetitive auction

#1 User is offline   Liversidge 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Gardening, DIY, Travel

Posted 2016-July-18, 02:46

The terms 'competitive bid' and 'competitive auction' come up regularly. I have a rough understanding of what they mean, but would welcome clarification.

I have read that in the first example there is no room for West to show both a competitive and an invitational bid. East should assume that West's 3 is competitive, i.e. stretching a bit and prepared to make a profitable sacrifice, so East should pass.

I assume that in the second example, as South has passed, the auction is no longer competitive (for the time being), and West's bid is invitational.

#2 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-July-18, 03:00

It depends on what you have agreed.

What would 2NT, 3 and 3 have meant? What would X have meant? If you have no agreement for these things, then frankly it is potentially ambiguous whether both auctions are invitational or merely "getting in the way".
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.

#3 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-18, 03:05

On the second auction, many people would play this as merely competitive and use 2 or something else as the invite.

For many people unopposed 1-2-3 is not invitational.

#4 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-18, 04:27

Hi,

2nd auction depends on the way you play a 3H bid in the uncontested auction

1H - 2H
3H

for simplicity, it should have the same meaning in both auctions, either play
it as blocking (LoTT based ... which I dont really understand, but this is a wide
field, and the views may border on religiously believing something), or as some kind
of trial bid, e.g. asking for trump quality.
Playing it as old fashioned general try (asking for min / max) is not the worst idea
either, because it gives not much away, and is the most common question you will ask.

In the first auction, 3H is to play, ... assuming you have a way of inviting,
e.g. via trial bids (2NT, ... ) or via X showing a maximum hand.
But without prior discussion, a good chance is, that the bid is purely to play.

Basically both auction are not that much different from each other, and not so far
away from the uncontested auction.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#5 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-18, 09:57

I would generalize the situation a little bit. When the opponents are quiet, there are basically 3 types of natural bids: non-forcing, invitational and forcing.

When the auction becomes competitive, you often have less than 3 ways to make a bid, so these 3 don't all fit in the system. This means one of them has to go. It is best to sacrifice the invitational meaning. If you have an invite, without the room to show it, simply round up (game force) or down (non-forcing). And don't forget to keep smiling. No sense in letting the opponents know that you have a problem. :)

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#6 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-18, 10:52

I think your "I have read..." sentence (or the auction) is wrong. There's lots of room between 2 and 3 to make a game try of some sort. The way I play, that means 3 is "strictly competitive, no game interest" (which doesn't mean we won't get forced to game, or ...)

As their suit becomes "higher" relative to yours, is where the issue is.
Here, you've lost 2NT and 3; now what? (I play here that double, especially at MPs, is "discouraging 3, but we were making 2"; 3 is "only game try"; and 3 is "strictly competitive" as before).

The interesting situation is:
. Now you don't have any bid left (or, in your original post, "there is no room") to pretend to be a game try. You have two choices:
  • make 3 a game try, keep the "penaltyish" double
  • make double the game try (and try not to forget, as it's almost always -X30!) and keep 3 as competitive. This is the "Maximal" (orignally "maximal overcall" - they made the maximal overcall that wasn't a jump, right?) double.

When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users