BBO Discussion Forums: Mobile app 4.0 feedback thread - BBO Discussion Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Mobile app 4.0 feedback thread BBO app version 4.0 available in the Google, Apple and Amazon appstore

#1 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-July-08, 14:24

UPDATE: App is now available in the Google, Apple and Amazon app stores. Please search for Bridge Base to upgrade.

Major changes are:
  • New design, improved navigation. The app now has several icons at the bottom of the screen (or to the right in landscape) that allow players to access various areas at any time: Play, Messages, People, History, Account
  • Support for Challenges and Daylong tournaments
  • Status bar at the top of the screen
  • Support for profile photos, including take a photo with your phone camera and use it as profile picture
  • Lots of bug fixes and improvements

Please let us know what you think by posting feedback in this thread.

This post has been edited by diana_eva: 2016-July-13, 17:17
Reason for edit: testing over, app published

#2 User is offline   seifertd 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-July-10, 15:20

Tried install on nexus 5x, but it failed with a message saying "App not installed." I allowed third party installs before trying.

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-11, 08:52

Did you delete the old app first? You can't install a third-party app over an app installed from Google Play.

#4 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-July-11, 15:13

1) like the fact that I can see all the bids again. That font change was annoying.

2) Tried to join the table of someone I follow - how do I do that? That's the single most likely thing I would do (besides say hello, I guess) with the friends list. There's a big "Unfollow" button, that's actually in portrait mode covering the host name of the table if the person's playing - how often am I going to do that?

3) not sure how much I'm going to like the area permanently blocked off by the menus. We shall see.

Hey, 5 minutes waiting for a phone call. Sorry about the brevity. Will do more later.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#5 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-11, 18:22

View Postmycroft, on 2016-July-11, 15:13, said:

2) Tried to join the table of someone I follow - how do I do that? That's the single most likely thing I would do (besides say hello, I guess) with the friends list. There's a big "Unfollow" button, that's actually in portrait mode covering the host name of the table if the person's playing - how often am I going to do that?

Thanks for your feedback.

Right now the easiest way is to click the small colored rectangle containing the user's ID (in the actual list of people you follow). His profile will appear in a popup.

If he is at a table that you can join there will be a button you can click on the title bar of that popup that will take you to his table.

You are right we should have made this easier - having a "join table" button on the screen with the big "unfollow" button would have been smart. Sorry we didn't think of that.

Very likely we won't be doing any changes other than bug fixes before our next official release, but I expect there will be additional releases before too long after that. I will try to incorporate your suggestion then.

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#6 User is offline   seifertd 

• Pip

Posted 2016-July-12, 07:19

After uninstalling the old app per instructions, the new app installs and runs fine. One small problem: when reviewing play, the viewer opens up in the last state it was in. So if I had been viewing other table scores from a previous deal, when I open the view scores interface again, I am still seeing the previous deal other tables. This can be confusing especially if the contract is similar or the same. Would be better if it opened on the My Scores view with the current score highlighted.

#7 User is offline   sakuragi 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-July-12, 22:17

Seems like I could not find the "show picture of cards" option?

I used to turn it off. Much more usable for my fat finger.

#8 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-13, 05:45

Tap Account and notice there's an Options tab - that's where you can turn off pictures of cards and finetune your settings.

#9 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-July-13, 08:55

All the options have been moved into that one screen, rather than having different option dialogs depending on where you are.

#10 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2016-July-13, 09:47

Some anonymous play last night, and I'm quite pleased. First things first - the bridge hasn't changed, and that's the critical part.

- I found the same bug reported above, where if you leave the results screen on "results on hand X", when you go back it's still on "results on hand X" - but the button says "show other tables". If you do that, it takes you to other tables for the last board, yes - but you have to press the button again to get the running list of scores.

- haven't checked to see if it will totally kill your anon. session if you 2-second lose connection to wireless or jump between networks; a big thing both at my work and my home, where coverage is delineated.

- not sure how much I like the removal of the other hands. I guess I'll get used to it.

- I turn sound and animation off (can I put in yet another plug for "no card swish/shuffle sound, but notification sounds are fine?); the animation of played cards is, if possible, even more annoying than the old version.

- also, it used to keep my options per device; I had to set animations off when playing as me, and then set it again when playing anonymously.

- I find the colour scheme blocky and garish, and am very glad the playing table hasn't changed. But I am known as the king of bad UI (partly because I can't read icons); so don't take my word for it.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#11 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2016-July-13, 14:04

Congratulations from one happy customer. I think that this is an improvement across the board. Almost all good.

Earlier I requested that the screen did not rotate when human plays North. Fred confirmed that this was coming and indeed it has. My suggestion was slightly more sophisticated, in that I recommended a user preference setting that provided the user with the choice over whether or not the screen would rotate. That was because while my personal wishes have now been accommodated I am aware that my preference is not universal. I know of at least one regular forum contributor who preferred it the other way. So, I am not complaining at this change, but it would not surprise me if someone else does.

I don't like the notification when a friend logs in. It obscures too much of the screen while it is on display, and while there is a "greet" button there is no "close" button. Sure, it closes automatically if you wait long enough, but the waiting is irritating. For now I have disabled the notification in user settings, but I feel that this is not the best solution.

I don't like not being able to see my ranking in the field in the middle of a tournament. I can't remember if that was ever available in the mobile app. I feel that I would have missed it before now, if it has never been there, but I don't trust my memory.

A quick tip, for those of you who sensibly show the cards in diagram mode. When playing on a mobile phone of limited screen size, make sure that you have enabled screen auto-rotation on your phone. Conduct the auction in landscape mode, and then when the auction is over switch to portrait mode if your side is declaring (I think I still prefer it in landscape mode when defending, although it is a closer decision).
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#12 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-13, 14:13

View Post1eyedjack, on 2016-July-13, 14:04, said:

Congratulations from one happy customer. I think that this is an improvement across the board. Almost all good.

Earlier I requested that the screen did not rotate when human plays North. Fred confirmed that this was coming and indeed it has. My suggestion was slightly more sophisticated, in that I recommended a user preference setting that provided the user with the choice over whether or not the screen would rotate. That was because while my personal wishes have now been accommodated I am aware that my preference is not universal. I know of at least one regular forum contributor who preferred it the other way. So, I am not complaining at this change, but it would not surprise me if someone else does.

I don't like the notification when a friend logs in. It obscures too much of the screen while it is on display, and while there is a "greet" button there is no "close" button. Sure, it closes automatically if you wait long enough, but the waiting is irritating. For now I have disabled the notification in user settings, but I feel that this is not the best solution.

I don't like not being able to see my ranking in the field in the middle of a tournament. I can't remember if that was ever available in the mobile app. I feel that I would have missed it before now, if it has never been there, but I don't trust my memory.

A quick tip, for those of you who sensibly show the cards in diagram mode. When playing on a mobile phone of limited screen size, make sure that you have enabled screen auto-rotation on your phone. Conduct the auction in landscape mode, and then when the auction is over switch to portrait mode if your side is declaring (I think I still prefer it in landscape mode when defending, although it is a closer decision).

Thanks - glad you like it!

About the friend notifications (and vugraph notifications), you can tap anywhere on them (except the button) to make them go away.

I am not sure what you mean by your tournament rank not showing in the middle of a tournament. That might be a bug. What sort of tournament were you playing in?

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#13 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2016-July-13, 15:21

View Postfred, on 2016-July-13, 14:13, said:

I am not sure what you mean by your tournament rank not showing in the middle of a tournament. That might be a bug. What sort of tournament were you playing in?

"Instant"
Now you mention it, not sure if it was ever available in an Instant tourney (it is in the web version).

I like the new claim button by the way except that it still defaults to conceding all tricks if you "claim" when not on lead.

I would have liked to have a button to view my masterpoints, but I know that would be a new feature that was not available before.

Perhaps also a button to view cash balance even if not able to buy credit in app (for reasons that I am aware of - no complaints about that)

I find it a bit odd that repeated pressing on the phone's back button takes you back as far as the main screen but no further, which requires that you select logout from the menu before it lets you quit. No doubt a good reason for that.

I can't find an option to review the last trick played, even if I have not yet played t the next trick. Is that available?
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#14 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-13, 17:25

App published in Apple and Amazon stores too.

Testers, please delete the beta and get the app from the playstore.

Kindle users, please note that you won't be able to upgrade if camera isn't supported.

#15 User is offline   sga1 

• Pip

Posted 2016-July-13, 20:59

I installed new app today. As I noticed above and I also faced, to join a table of a friend not so friendly.

Second - while watching a match where is the button for options so that you can change the settings. I tried but could not find out.

#16 User is offline   sakuragi 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-July-14, 02:12

need GPS?

there is camera but no gps on my tablet.
I am not able to install.

#17 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2016-July-14, 03:59

Although I was able to install and run the beta 4.0 version, I cannot install the app from Google Play because my device is incompatible. I have an Android 5 tablet, with camera and gps, but there is 'no carrier' (it has wifi but no gsm capability).

The previous version of the app installed from Google Play without a problem.

Update: resolved by 4.0.1

This post has been edited by paulg: 2016-July-15, 02:37

The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#18 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-14, 04:52

I haven't yet installed the new version.

However, upon reviewing the previous comments, I have a question about GPS. I usually restrict my mobile GPS access --- I don't even allow Google to track me via GPS.

Will that be a problem in using the new version of BBO Mobile?

#19 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-July-14, 08:18

View Postshyams, on 2016-July-14, 04:52, said:

I haven't yet installed the new version.

However, upon reviewing the previous comments, I have a question about GPS. I usually restrict my mobile GPS access --- I don't even allow Google to track me via GPS.

Will that be a problem in using the new version of BBO Mobile?

We don't use GPS.

#20 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-July-14, 08:25

View Post1eyedjack, on 2016-July-13, 15:21, said:

"Instant"
Now you mention it, not sure if it was ever available in an Instant tourney (it is in the web version).

I think it used to be. It's still available in robot duplicate, but not in instant.

I like the new claim button by the way except that it still defaults to conceding all tricks if you "claim" when not on lead.

It's a limitation in the robot software on the server, so it affects all clients.

I would have liked to have a button to view my masterpoints, but I know that would be a new feature that was not available before.

Bookmark http://www.bridgebase.com/points/ in your browser.

I can't find an option to review the last trick played, even if I have not yet played t the next trick. Is that available?

The same as the old version: tap on the quitted tricks.

Once you've played to the next trick it's not available any more.

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users