• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Advanced Clues for playing hand

#1 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-July-03, 03:49

Playing IMPs.

This is from a BBO Challenge match playing against 3 basic GIBs. You are declaring 4 against the lead of 3 and East will follow with the 2.

Plan the play.

Spoiler Preliminary
Spoiler

Spoiler Final
Spoiler

#2 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-July-03, 07:37

Shortened description, same line of play:

Basic plan: One spade, five hearts, two diamonds, one diamond ruff, one club.

Three rounds of hearts, ending on the board. Spade from the board. If E rises, I am home. So assume W takes my Q.

Diamond back to my ace, I lead a club. If W rises, I am home. Assume E takes my K.

If E leads a spade, I rise. If he leads a diamond, I go up ruff a diamond, pitch a diamond on the club, and then I lead a spade.

This fails if W has the spade AK and E has the club A, and succeeds otherwise. The a priori chance of the bad lie is 1 in 8, but since the oppoents both passed it is unlikely that either has all three of A and AK. So make it 1 in 6.

However, the bad lie is spade AK to my left, club A on my right. With that holding, W might well have started with the spade A.

Ignoring all evidence, the chances would be 7 out of 8. Considering the passes, maybe only 5 out of 6. But condsidering the non-spade lead, probably better than 5 out of 6. How much better depends on how lho, robot or human, feels about leading A from AK at T1. If he would always do it, then this line is a sure thing.
Ken

#3 User is offline   lackeman 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2016-July-04, 05:13

If W have cl A he may duck the club. We can also play unother line and take 2 d ruffs,1 cl, 5 h and 2 d tricks. If we play HA in trick 1 then cl K. Then take da, dk and cQ. Then crossruff d and clubs leaving a heart left at defenders. This line only fails when defenders can take a s ruff. Then of cause if h are 2-2 we are always home(playing your way:)).

#4 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2016-July-04, 06:09

View Postlackeman, on 2016-July-04, 05:13, said:

If W have cl A he may duck the club. We can also play unother line and take 2 d ruffs,1 cl, 5 h and 2 d tricks. If we play HA in trick 1 then cl K. Then take da, dk and cQ. Then crossruff d and clubs leaving a heart left at defenders. This line only fails when defenders can take a s ruff. Then of cause if h are 2-2 we are always home(playing your way:)).

If "If W have cl A he may duck the club." is referring to my suggested line, it's not problem. That's our club trick. And putting the club A in the W hand makes it unlikely he also holds the AK of spades since he might have opened with just that and would surely have opened if he held either missing diamond honor. So we are almost a lock if W holds the club ace whether he rises or not.

We are told in the spoiler that hearts are 3-1 but yes, if the hearts are 2-2 things would change.Two rounds of trump and lead a club from the hand without touching spades. Both diamonds get ruffed and, assuming the club K is taken, there is time to throw one spade on a good club. So: Two rounds of trump, if they split the hand is over. If they are 3-1, then a third trump to the board and lead a spade, scoring it up unless the A and AK are all wrong. Unlikely on the face of it, and even less likely because of the non-spade lead.

A thoughtful W, holding the AK of spades, might not lead one. He is looking at three trump, the auction at least suggests four trump in dummy (2D is a positive response to the invitational Drury 2C, so 2H with three would keep the invitation intact) so he might feel the chance of a third round spade ruff is remote. Leading the spade ace might, and here would, help declarer. So it could be that the spade AK is on the left, the club A on the right. Possible, but the odds are against it.I am not risking a spade ruff to cater to this possibility.
Ken

#5 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2016-July-04, 08:37

I like the suggested line. Its something like 92% to come in.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#6 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2016-July-04, 09:50

I am notoriously bad at play problems but I would win the lead on table and play AK followed by a ruff. Then a trump back to hand - if 2-2 we are home. If trumps are 3-1 then a second diamond ruff followed by a spade up is going to work unless the defenders can either take a ruff or AK is on the left and A on the right. Otherwise they are forced to give access to a black suit trick for #10. No doubt this line is a lower % than setting up 2 black suit tricks but it is surely better than most of the games I am in nonetheless! :lol:
(-: Zel :-)

#7 User is offline   case_no_6 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-July-04, 12:02

There really is no danger on this hand since, with AK of spades on your left, LHO would have led a top spade. So there are not 3 spade losers - as long as you lead spades twice from Dummy.

So, since trumps are splitting 2-2 or 3-1, win the first trump in Dummy, win the second trump in hand, and if necessary finish drawing trump ending in dummy.

(If trumps are 2-2, you simply lead a club now. You can pitch a spade on the club and ruff both diamond losers.)

Assuming the 3-1 trump split and having ended in Dummy, you now lead a spade. If RHO flies with an honor, you have no problems; when you get in you will lead a club to provide a discard for the diamond loser you cannot ruff.

If LHO wins, you again will lead a club when you next get in to establish a pitch of a diamond. Your diamond ruff will be the entry you need for the second spade lead from Dummy.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users