• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mis-clicked ... passed out :(

#1 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-May-02, 08:53

I suppose I can't blame anyone but myself. :blink:
Holding a 17-pointer, 4th in hand to bid after three passes, I accidentally click on PASS. So the hand is passed out and my side registers a whopping IMPs loss. :(
I've now set my options to "Confirm Bids" until I learn not to be so careless! :unsure:
Unless anyone knows of any way I could have saved that hand....

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-May-02, 09:09

View Post661_Pete, on 2016-May-02, 08:53, said:

I suppose I can't blame anyone but myself. :blink:
Holding a 17-pointer, 4th in hand to bid after three passes, I accidentally click on PASS. So the hand is passed out and my side registers a whopping IMPs loss. :(
I've now set my options to "Confirm Bids" until I learn not to be so careless! :unsure:
Unless anyone knows of any way I could have saved that hand....

Unfortunately, I don't think Undo is available after a pass-out.

#3 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2016-May-03, 02:07

It's a pity that you didn't know about the 'confirm bid' gadget sooner.
But even if you did,it would have availed you nothing in this case.
Pass is not a bid so the device wouldn't have activated :(
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#4 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-May-03, 02:44

I expect it is just lazy wording, and if you choose "confirm bid" it would also prompt you to confirm any legitimate selected call, including double, redouble and pass.

There might be a case for having a separate option to "confirm pass in passout seat". Because I would find it rather irritating to have to confirm every call in every auction, just to protect against the possibility that I might pass out the auction inadvertently.

On the other hand, the problem is probably not so acute as to justify so much interface clutter.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#5 User is offline   661_Pete 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-May-05, 02:34

I switched on the 'confirm bid' option. I found that it does work for PASS, but that it's not immediately obvious what you're being asked to 'confirm' (your previous click is simply highlighted in yellow). I decided it wasn't all that helpful so I turned the option off again.

I suppose it would be a help for people using smartphones with touchscreens. Especially the sausage-fingered, like myself. But I use a computer with conventional keyboard and mouse...

I'll just try to be more careful from now on! Mind you, everyone makes mistakes...

#6 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-May-05, 09:44

View Post661_Pete, on 2016-May-05, 02:34, said:

I suppose it would be a help for people using smartphones with touchscreens. Especially the sausage-fingered, like myself. But I use a computer with conventional keyboard and mouse...

When I first started using the Kindle app I did make frequent misclicks, so I turned on the confirm option. But eventually I got acclimated and turned it off. I think I misclick maybe once every 2-3 months these days, and it's not worth the inconvenience all the rest of the time. Especially since I'm just playing robot bridge with it, so I don't have a partner to apologize to. I always use the a real computer when I'm playing with humans (and also the BBF Indy :) ).

#7 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-May-05, 11:21

When voice activated controls become mainstream this may become less of an issue
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#8 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-May-06, 08:58

View Post1eyedjack, on 2016-May-05, 11:21, said:

When voice activated controls become mainstream this may become less of an issue

Because Siri has never misunderstood a command? :)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users